Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a couple of really good unprotected lefts today. One was a little iffy in that I’m not sure the Beta actually saw that both ways were clear (I was having some trouble and it was across two lanes where traffic routines goes 45+mph). I had my foot over the brake as it was coming out but it turned out to be clear both ways, so i let it go. Again, I’m not sure if the Beta actually saw it was clear first, maybe it did, but it did it, so yay?

And then I got a couple of blaring alarms when I disengaged on some right turns where there technically isn’t a “turn lane”, but there is enough space between the car in front and the curb to easily squeeze by for a right turn. Humans of course routinely do those, but Beta doesn’t and it did not like me doing it for it, lol. I’m curious to see if I get dinged with my first FCW.

Edit - it looks like I did not in fact get hit with a FCW, so not sure what that alarm was about.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
No - it picks the speed from map data. The posted limits can override the map data ... if the map data has no speed, it might use some defaults.
This seems to be the case. There is a section of road near my home where Autopilot reliably drops to 30 mph despite the posted 40 mph, then speeds up to 50 mph at the next speed limit sign.

I noticed that at exactly the intersection where the 30 mph change occurs, openstreetmaps indicates a new segment, with no speed limit specified. This continues past the 50mph sign.

I made an edit in openstreetmaps, we'll see if and when that change is picked up.

Does anyone know how many reports the data buffer can hold?

I remember reading somewhere that if you keep hitting the report button, at some point it just dumps the oldest report to make room for the latest. So basically, at some point you're losing reports as new ones are added.

It would be great if The Elon would let us know how many reports the system can cache before they start getting overwritten.... how many we can do before we need to go connect to WiFi and upload before we continue on.

I think I heard 5.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Car decides to move over so that it is half in one lane, half in the other, and slows down to a complete stop. Just sits there. No notifications, nada. The correct action would have been to continue driving straight for the next mile. After sitting there for about ten seconds looking the screens over to see WTF is going on, a car shows up in the rear view mirror, so I disengaged, accelerated, and hit the report button. Absolutely no idea why it decided to do this.
Check the maps. May be the map shows some stop sign / traffic light there (likely esp. because of new asphalt etc).

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Drove across town for a massage today and a few of the FSD turns were much better and more acceptable. Such as the one below, to be fair it did have it's own arrow/right-of-way green light but either way it was darn near perfect in busy traffic. I also noticed it does much better with green lights verses pre-new beta, it stayed with and drove with traffic pretty much like I would have with little/no phantom braking or weird hesitation.

vyTE732.png

either way it was darn near perfect in busy traffic. I also noticed it does much better with green lights verses pre-new beta, it stayed with and drove with traffic pretty much like I would have with little/no phantom braking or weird hesitation.

What?! Green told me it's totally unusable in any sort of traffic! And he's got the scoop on all the Tesla sekret sauce!

/s

Reactions: Phlier and Yuri_G
You can find this in the Tesla app. Perhaps it’s not measured as they state but here is an excerpt: “Unsafe following is only measured when your vehicle is traveling at least 50 mph and is incorporated into the Safety Score formula as a percentage. Unsafe following while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula.”
ok, maybe I"m wrong. Maybe it happened at a different point than I thought.

What?! Green told me it's totally unusable in any sort of traffic! And he's got the scoop on all the Tesla sekret sauce!

/s
I know right? :) See my previous posts where I kind of thought the same but this one gave me a little faith back. To be fair, there were a credible number of disengagements in some ambiguous situations. The main annoyance this trip was it just seems to have this urge to change lanes in city traffic for zero good reason, and it wasn't due to a slow lane either. On one occasion, it started turning to change into the right lane and there was clearly another car already there. It continued these "I just gotta be in that lane over there" attempts even after turning NOA off.

The main annoyance this trip was it just seems to have this urge to change lanes in city traffic for zero good reason, and it wasn't due to a slow lane either. On one occasion, it started turning to change into the right lane and there was clearly another car already there. It continued these "I just gotta be in that lane over there" attempts even with NOA off.

Yup, lane planning and decision-making has been a major annoyance since the start of FSD beta. At least we know it'll definitely get better over time.

I've never had 10.2 change lanes into another car though. I've had it change lanes very close to other cars (within inches...).

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and jebinc
Does anyone know (really) if folks who are testing with 10.2 are contributing to the "teaching" of Vision? Will these efforts improve the accuracy of the system over time? I've been venturing out in the evening and hope that my time and effort (as everyone else) is helping to make a positive difference for to the mission and goals of FSD. 10.2 almost curbed my right front rim the other night. I caught it in time, but if FSD did curb my rim and I knew I was contributing to the greater good, I would possibly be able to tolerate it more by taking one for the team.

Does anyone know (really) if folks who are testing with 10.2 are contributing to the "teaching" of Vision? Will these efforts improve the accuracy of the system over time? I've been venturing out in the evening and hope that my time and effort (as everyone else) is helping to make a positive difference for to the mission and goals of FSD. 10.2 almost curbed my right front rim the other night. I caught it in time, but if FSD did curb my rim and I knew I was contributing to the greater good, I would possibly be able to tolerate it more by taking one for the team.
I don't think anyone knows for sure. But my best educated guess is it uploads clips when you disengage and/or push the "capture snapshot" button. It's definitely uploading gigs of video over my WiFi after each trip. Then presumably the clips end up in their labeling pipeline and some guy manually draws lines where the roadway edge is or it gets some sort of auto labeling done on it. Eventually if some future build ships a new network it could be slightly better.

I had a close call when the lane to the left of me was ending. Legally the car in that lane should yield to me, but it wasn't going to. They just put their blinker on and started to move over. They waited too long, and their lane was ending after all. FSD held its ground and maintained its speed. I had to disengage and slow down to let the other car merge. There was a car ahead, so I couldn't speed up.

Yet in another instance when my lane was ending, FSD slowed to merge behind the car that was next to me.

Last edited:
Today's drive was to the local Tesla SC for a hood sensor replacement. The service manager remarked that this was the first car he had seen with the FSD beta, but I know of a few others in the area. There were 3 roundabouts, one dual lane and two single. 10.2 couldn't navigate any of them. It also missed a tight curve marked 25 mph and I had to disengage. Else, it was flawless. It is like the little girl with a curl.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
After three days, like many of you I have found the FSD Beta to be impressive in some situations but rather hopeless in others. If any “original” Beta testers from October 2020 are here I would be interested to know if some of the issues today are simply a result of changing to all cameras a few months ago. Or have you found steady improvement the entire past year?

I realize Musk exaggerates but it amazes me that he has posted so many statements about how good the current product is. I am glad I can be a tester, but frankly can’t imagine that a wide release will happen any time in the foreseeable future. I have told lots of people that I have viewed the wide release EAP/FSD as the equivalent of a 15 year old with a learner’s permit -- excellent vision and reflexes but poor judgment. I would say that is a good description for this City Streets Beta except there is so much more happening — and happening quickly. I would flunk my 15 year old if he drove like this on city streets:)

When the national media gets their hands on FSD Beta they likely will crucify it. That’s too bad because my five years of driving two Tesla’s with EAP/FSD have me excited about the future. If only Elon would stop his wild touts of the product. Robotaxis in the next year? Ho Ho Ho.