Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope @jebinc doesn't mind me going off topic... yet again. :D

But I had something happen yesterday morning that's being a bit of a pain...

On my very first drive with FSD Beta, I saved a rather exciting video of a motorcycle nearly crashing. It was good enough that I actually wanted to take the drive in to the house and transfer the footage. As I no longer have my Raspberry Pi setup to do this for me automatically, I had to actually remove the drive from the car and take it in the house. Just as I've done so many times before.

So I un-mounted the drive (medium long press on the dashcam icon until the icon goes away), then, as I'm in the process of removing the device, I get a notification on the screen about there being a problem with a USB device, and to remove it. I kinda thought it was odd at the time, but didn't think too much about it.

I took the drive into the house, transferred the footage, and had Windows do a disk check on it. No problems found. Took the drive back out to the car and plugged it in.

The Viewer app launches just fine, lists the files on the drive, and also plays them just fine.

But the dashcam features refuse to work. I messed with this all day long over the 500 miles I drove, and none of the fixes I tried helped.

I brought the drive back in the house, and it works just fine... No problems reading or writing files.

So today I'm going to try a few different USB sticks and see if I can get them to work.

But I'm curious... has anyone had this kind of problem happen to them? If so, what was the fix?

At this point, I'm thinking that the car itself might have a hardware issue, but I'm not gonna say for sure until I try using a few known-good USB sticks on it.
the SD drive hardware may need to be replaced. Sounds like common issue. We experienced recently in our 2021 X, and others had also. Haven't heard of issues on refresh yet, but unlikely that the SD hardware is all new, so probably a related issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
has anyone had this kind of problem happen to them? If so, what was the fix?
I had been getting an occasional USB device error on the previous version of software - haven't seen it on FSD Beta so far. I fixed it by unplugging and replugging everything on USB (I also have an Alexa Auto), but the last few times I just ignored it and everything worked fine.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and Phlier
Yes I did a couple of longer trips prior to last Friday with Autopilot on and there were some instances of hard braking. I didn't get dinged at all. I saw somebody else mention that Elon said you wouldn't be penalized if under autopilot. So in my experience that has held true. Thus when I was trying my hardest to get my score to 100 (which I did) I used AP as much as I could so I wouldn't get screwed if somebody cut me off and forced hard braking. Hope this helps...
My score is still 95, but I’m at piece. I noticed the middle lane allows people to cut you off from both sides. It’s ironic that AP frequently brakes late, and more aggressively than I do, to the point where passengers get anxious. The irony of course is that I get dinged when I brake earlier and not as hard. As far as Elon saying you can’t get dinged on AP, Elon says a lot of things that cannot be relied upon, like a planned FSD trip from SF to NYC a year or two ago, that never happened. Comments in TMC seem to support AP miles being not counted against the “beta score.” but passengers hate it. If I want to play this game, I need lots of autopilot miles at around 75mph on a certain large, long freeway, about 40-50 miles from here. Maybe tomorrow When I have a purpose for going there. Very few cops on the road so people go fast. One driver changed lanes 10 times in the span of a minute. Pretty aggressive weaving. Tailgating and cutting people off the whole time.

Reactions: K5TRX and Phlier
“Autonomous vehicle liability”…. Pay us now, for accident protection, for accidents that may occur when you are using our FSD product. :eek:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: edseloh and Phlier
Not yet. Only the initial group got it. There are many that have/had 100 when it dropped that still haven’t gotten it.
Yes, and not just the “refreshed” MS yokel “class”. Older model S/X owners with HW3 upgrade and MCU2 haven’t seen it either. Then there’s just the group that had 100 scores and just didn’t see it yet.

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX
I'm a firm believer in the California advantage, too. In fact, I think there's at least some advantage to anywhere that has had a decent population of FSD Beta testers since Beta 8 was released.

I have literally watched hundreds of FSD Beta videos now. And after spending the entire day with FSD Beta yesterday (500 miles logged), some observations...

• I'm not getting anywhere close to the experience in my local area that I'm seeing on FSD YouTube channels where there have been testers operating for a while. Not even close. FSD Beta in Las Vegas operates at least ten times better than it does in my little home town of St. George, Utah. I drove over 100 miles through Vegas yesterday, and FSD Beta was like a completely different animal than it was in St. George; so much better in Vegas I thought I was testing different software.
  • This release has some interesting bugs. While manually driving (not even using cruise control) down I-15 yesterday, the car decided to flash the left turn signal four times without me doing anything. Hand wasn't even anywhere near the stalk. It also decided that I'd like military time format, and that various other settings needed to randomly change to different values. It also fired off it's various warning sounds at random times in random places with no other cars around while manually driving. Yes, I've done "two finger salute" reset many times, as well as using the Power Off command. All these bugs remain.
  • The navigation will sometimes have moments. This one actually requires an entire post (if not thread), so I'm going to leave it at that for now.
  • The AP to navigation interface sometimes won't "mesh;" the navigation will say "in 500 feet, turn right" but the car just keeps on going straight.
I'm completely convinced that I'm the only beta tester here in St. George, and that little to none of my little town has been covered in the past by beta testers. Seriously, here in St. George my car doesn't drive EVEN CLOSE to the way the FSD vids on YouTube drive.

Most of the YouTube videos show the car performing at least as well as a new Driver's Ed student. Here in St. George, it performs like someone trying to drive who has never actually ridden in a car before. Yet move it 130 miles south to Vegas, and it goes back to being a Driver's Ed student.

If anyone happens to be driving through St. George, could you do a guy a solid? Take a few minutes to drive around St. George for a bit before you continue on your Interstate 15 journey. The neural net and myself offer our deepest thanks. :D Plus, it's worth it just to compare the difference of how it performs here vs. places where testers have been driving for a year already.

So Phlier, how bad is it really? It's sooooooooo bad, that I'm going to have to go out beta testing in the wee hours of the a.m., as it's just not ready to be around other drivers yet, from both a safety and "don't piss off other drivers" stand point.

An interesting comparison is the YouTube channel DirtyTesla. He gets amazing FSD performance on the many miles of DIRT roads he drives on a daily basis. yet where I'm at, I'd be thrilled to get that level of competence on our PAVED roads.

And with that, I'm off to Starbucks. I'll probably end up buying coffee for a lot of pissed off drivers. :)
For those of us in Rockville, UT, who were unable to score 100, we thank you for your service. When I do finally get the beta (SS98) and come down to St. George, I will know who to thank for the seamless experience.😉

I hope @jebinc doesn't mind me going off topic... yet again. :D

But I had something happen yesterday morning that's being a bit of a pain...

On my very first drive with FSD Beta, I saved a rather exciting video of a motorcycle nearly crashing. It was good enough that I actually wanted to take the drive in to the house and transfer the footage. As I no longer have my Raspberry Pi setup to do this for me automatically, I had to actually remove the drive from the car and take it in the house. Just as I've done so many times before.

So I un-mounted the drive (medium long press on the dashcam icon until the icon goes away), then, as I'm in the process of removing the device, I get a notification on the screen about there being a problem with a USB device, and to remove it. I kinda thought it was odd at the time, but didn't think too much about it.

I took the drive into the house, transferred the footage, and had Windows do a disk check on it. No problems found. Took the drive back out to the car and plugged it in.

The Viewer app launches just fine, lists the files on the drive, and also plays them just fine.

But the dashcam features refuse to work. I messed with this all day long over the 500 miles I drove, and none of the fixes I tried helped.

I brought the drive back in the house, and it works just fine... No problems reading or writing files.

So today I'm going to try a few different USB sticks and see if I can get them to work.

But I'm curious... has anyone had this kind of problem happen to them? If so, what was the fix?

At this point, I'm thinking that the car itself might have a hardware issue, but I'm not gonna say for sure until I try using a few known-good USB sticks on it.
I've had this issue intermittently over the years since DashCam & Sentry Mode features were added, including a couple weeks ago. I usually give up pretty quick and just use the in car menu to reformat the drive and then it works fine after that. I'm a little sad to lose the recent footage, but I'm generally pretty good/quick about pulling the drive, using an iPhone (Lightning port) or iPad Pro (USB-C) adapter I keep in the car to download the footage ASAP without the drive having to leave the car.

• Informative
Reactions: HighZ and Phlier
I usually give up pretty quick and just use the in car menu to reformat the drive and then it works fine after that.
I forgot to mention in my post...

The car would put up a message above the "Format Drive" button saying, "To use this drive for dashcam, format it first" or words to that effect. I must have pushed that button 20 times yesterday. Still no luck, but thanks for helping out!

Reactions: jebinc
I forgot to mention in my post...

The car would put up a message above the "Format Drive" button saying, "To use this drive for dashcam, format it first" or words to that effect. I must have pushed that button 20 times yesterday. Still no luck, but thanks for helping out!
I see. Maybe just reformat on a computer first then try the in car reformat? An issue that doesn't happen anymore was during the first year or so of the features, viewing the video files on a Mac showed tiny file sizes that weren't viewable, but were viewable in car. It was really strange and eventually the bug disappeared. But during that time I ended up reformatting from the computer (no in car format button yet) which would fix it for a little while, until maybe weeks or months later it would happen again.

• Informative
I see. Maybe just reformat on a computer first then try the in car reformat? An issue that doesn't happen anymore was during the first year or so of the features, viewing the video files on a Mac showed tiny file sizes that weren't viewable, but were viewable in car. It was really strange and eventually the bug disappeared. But during that time I ended up reformatting from the computer (no in car format button yet) which would fix it for a little while, until maybe weeks or months later it would happen again.
I've reformatted it using my computer several times now. It works just fine on the computer... reads/writes no problems. It just refuses to work in the car now.

But on the bright side...

I just opened up a brand new USB stick and it works, no problem.

So now I have an extra 1TB USB external SSD. Ah well, it'll come in handy to back up my laptop.

• Informative
Reactions: TresLA and jebinc
Which brings me to a point I have to remind myself all the time, just like a pre-flight, I have to make sure I clean all the cameras, especially the B pillar cameras which can get some grime on them quickly. If the car is making decisions solely by vision, I want it to have 20-20 vision, not me without glasses.
Good point. I'll clean the cameras. Also may be I should recalibrate - just in case.