Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early this week I had my first two drives on 10.10.2 coming from 10.8.1. Now having waited a few days as expected some of the bad FSD behavior hasn't happened again so 10.10.2 continues to be a mixed bag. Some good some bad for me.
In general when FSD behaves correctly it's a smoother drive then 10.8.1 with better turns and makes decisions a little faster which is good. Large roundabouts are still a mess both in making the decision when to enter and the actual drive around the roundabout. However, when it's bad the FSD errors seem worse than usual causing disengagements.

People driving EVs are often unsure of what to call the “gas” pedal. The common convention is to call it the “go” pedal

"Throttle" and "Accelerator" still seem acceptable words for the "gas" pedal rather than "go" pedal. You are throttling the amount of electricity going to the motors, also you are accelerating the car. Both can indicate speeding up and slowing down, and how much you press determines how much response you get.

"Go" does not really work for me. "Go" is what you do once, from a stop. Do you "go" more when you press harder, you are already going. Does "go" have a quantity assigned to it, half-go, letting off the go. Just sounds weird. What happens when you let off the "go" pedal, anti-go, dis-go? Because it's not really stopping, letting off the pedal slows you down in some modes and some EV's but not always to a stop. Like if you called it the "start" pedal, same thing, you only start once. We don't have full self driving cars yet, maybe then "go" would make sense.

Last edited:
The good, the bad, and the ugly. Drove yesterday about 70 miles under FSD in my 2019 M3 AWD with FSD 10.10.2 on a combination or roads, suburban, highway, rural. Did well in many situations along most of the round trip drive from Arlington VA to Deal Md and back but FSD totally failed in three serous situations. First it almost went through a red light, granted the light was initially yellow, but it did not slow down as the light turned to red, if I did not slam on the breaks it would have gone through the red light. Second it did not slow down or stop for a stop sign with two overhead red blinking lights, the car just tried to turn left without stopping! I needed to slam on the breaks well after the stop sign and under the blinking lights. Luckily no other traffic! The third situation was a merge onto 395 /14th St from Maine Ave in Washington DC. This was a merg situation onto the 14th St bridge, the entrance is under a building, and when approaching the merge the car turned violently to the right and almost into the wall on the right before I had to fight the steering wheel to prevent a potential collision with the wall. I am no longer trusting FSD in these merge situations. The car did not want to stay in its merge lane.

FSD needs additional work, hope Tesla is paying attention as I want it to improve!

Second it did not slow down or stop for a stop sign with two overhead red blinking lights, the car just tried to turn left without stopping! I needed to slam on the breaks well after the stop sign and under the blinking lights. Luckily no other traffic!
The way to deal with stop signs is to monitor whether the car is slowing down as it approaches the stop light. If it’s going to stop, it will slow down … infact it slows down too early.

If it’s not slowing down, intervene and stop the car well in time. You will have plenty of time if you monitor the deceleration ….

The same applies to Red traffic lights. Only if you are not paying attention will you not notice it’s going to run the red light well before it does.

"Throttle" and "Accelerator" still seem acceptable words for the "gas" pedal rather than "go" pedal. You are throttling the amount of electricity going to the motors, also you are accelerating the car. Both can indicate speeding up and slowing down, and how much you press determines how much response you get.

"Go" does not really work for me. "Go" is what you do once, from a stop. Do you "go" more when you press harder, you are already going. Does "go" have a quantity assigned to it, half-go, letting off the go. Just sounds weird. What happens when you let off the "go" pedal, anti-go, dis-go? Because it's not really stopping, letting off the pedal slows you down in some modes and some EV's but not always to a stop. Like if you called it the "start" pedal, same thing, you only start once. We don't have full self driving cars yet, maybe then "go" would make sense.
That line was just the lead-in for the joke I was attempting to make.

• Funny
Reactions: nvx1977
My problem has been with the car wanting to pass a emergency or school bus that have slant lines like a barricade painted in back of the bus or truck and the car wanting to pass across double solid yellow lines to oncoming traffic. Also not positioning itself correct lane to up coming left or right turn. turn are a bit jittery still.

Reactions: spokey
I prefer "Exilerator"
How about Play and Pause:oops:/ ID.4 peddles

Screen Shot 2022-02-25 at 11.07.01 AM.png

Ugh,

I have it in my fixed column too because that's what I've observed, but if it won't hold than its not fixed.

:-(

Gave it a try, seems smooth immediately after. Will report back after it sleeps a while again.

4th time driving after a restart and the car sleeping between (sentry mode off at home) - 1st and 2nd times were smooth, maybe 1 pause on the 3rd time, and even more stuttering on the 4th drive today. Not fully fixed :confused:

Also more lane selection shenanigans - the usual intersection with a left turn lane and right lane going straight, with nav going straight - today 10.10.2 attempted to dive into the turn lane to get behind some waiting cars at the last second "to follow route" 🙃 Ironically the 2 times the nav actually wanted me to go left, it showed a right turn followed by a u-turn. It's like the turn lane does not exist in the map data even though the intersection has been the same for many years.

I just think of the "Go Pedal" for 3 things:
  1. Go
  2. Go Faster
  3. Go Slower
Seriously any term is fine except "Gas Pedal"

4th time driving after a restart and the car sleeping between (sentry mode off at home) - 1st and 2nd times were smooth, maybe 1 pause on the 3rd time, and even more stuttering on the 4th drive today. Not fully fixed :confused:

Also more lane selection shenanigans - the usual intersection with a left turn lane and right lane going straight, with nav going straight - today 10.10.2 attempted to dive into the turn lane to get behind some waiting cars at the last second "to follow route" 🙃 Ironically the 2 times the nav actually wanted me to go left, it showed a right turn followed by a u-turn. It's like the turn lane does not exist in the map data even though the intersection has been the same for many years.
Like this?
I have a couple of these and have reported them to Tesla.

Map Routing Error.png

My problem has been with the car wanting to pass a emergency or school bus that have slant lines like a barricade painted in back of the bus or truck and the car wanting to pass across double solid yellow lines to oncoming traffic. Also not positioning itself correct lane to up coming left or right turn. turn are a bit jittery still.
sometimes it seems smoother but even sometimes at the same turn, there is a lot of jerking back and forth of the wheel. Even when there is absolutely no good reason. I had one today. I'm coming from a local street on to a 6 (3x2) lane state divided highway that is 55mph. At the intersection, the local street has divided in to one right turn only and two left turn only lanes. I'm the only one there. The car pulls out pretty straight until about the beginning of my direction of travel and starts violently jerking the wheel back and forth. No cars around me and it is correctly trying to go in to the center lane. Why? Who knows.

I disengaged probably 4 or 5 times for similar behavior today in 29miles when it was too close to a car sitting at the light and jerking every which way.

I have really cut down on my local FSD. Too nerve wracking. Basic driving is ok. But
  1. The behavior described above is too much
  2. The phantom braking is too dangerous when severe with some one behind me
  3. The lack of slowing down going in to a sharp curve is too dangerous. And it no long slows down if I scroll the wheel down. It will eventually but I have had it even accelerate when it is currently faster than the max I have gone down to. I now have to disengage going in to sharp curves and we have lots of them around here. It's not unusual to be at 45 and have a 20 mph hour drop. I understand it isn't reading yellow signs. That is no excuse as it needs to do that. That is much more important (at least to me) than the damn game enhancements. At least slow down if I scroll down.

They did put back the go back to posted speed when pressing the speed limit icon. That was gone for a few releases.

The way to deal with stop signs is to monitor whether the car is slowing down as it approaches the stop light. If it’s going to stop, it will slow down … infact it slows down too early.

If it’s not slowing down, intervene and stop the car well in time. You will have plenty of time if you monitor the deceleration ….

The same applies to Red traffic lights. Only if you are not paying attention will you not notice it’s going to run the red light well before it does

The same applies to Red traffic lights. Only if you are not paying attention will you not notice it’s going to run the red light well before it does.

That is what I did, I waited as long as possible before intervening to see what the car was going to do on its own. A similar issue where you need to intervene is on no right turn on red, if there are no cars coming the car tries to make the turn.

The good, the bad, and the ugly. Drove yesterday about 70 miles under FSD in my 2019 M3 AWD with FSD 10.10.2 on a combination or roads, suburban, highway, rural. Did well in many situations along most of the round trip drive from Arlington VA to Deal Md and back but FSD totally failed in three serous situations. First it almost went through a red light, granted the light was initially yellow, but it did not slow down as the light turned to red, if I did not slam on the breaks it would have gone through the red light. Second it did not slow down or stop for a stop sign with two overhead red blinking lights, the car just tried to turn left without stopping! I needed to slam on the breaks well after the stop sign and under the blinking lights. Luckily no other traffic! The third situation was a merge onto 395 /14th St from Maine Ave in Washington DC. This was a merg situation onto the 14th St bridge, the entrance is under a building, and when approaching the merge the car turned violently to the right and almost into the wall on the right before I had to fight the steering wheel to prevent a potential collision with the wall. I am no longer trusting FSD in these merge situations. The car did not want to stay in its merge lane.

FSD needs additional work, hope Tesla is paying attention as I want it to improve!
Good lord - that is an absolutely BRUTAL stretch to try and use FSD on.

I know Tesla is trying to make a car that drives itself everywhere but in no way do I let FSD or NoA drive through that stretch. It's literally how Maryland gets to and from DC and if you're from the area, you know to stay the f away from MD tags...

You're either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid (sarcasm - no offense actually intended here).

//Break break//

They installed new 'protected' bike lanes down a 2-lane road (New Jersey ave) that are demarcated with white flexible bollards. Unlike the San Diego video with the green pylons 10.10.2 was rendering all of them as orange cones and was trying to avoid them by driving about a foot over the double yellow.

Long ways to go yet in "navigate on city streets" in an actual city