Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: all Smart Summon-related posts go here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The owner of the Tesla shot that drone video. He was hoping to get some great smart summon footage from above, but didnt have any luck on his first two tries. He was also going to post the dash cam vid, but scrapped that after the smart summon got stuck. If you find the original source (I think Reddit?) , he was quite active in the thread. Think he did get some good footage in a different parking lot later.
That^^. And, what did he sit on the drivers lap when he ran to the car to rescue it?
Disclaimer: Huge fan of SS, just pointing out this isn’t fake as suggested. We all know it’s not perfect but I’m glad I get to play with it and test it out. Although so far I’ve only tried it with no one else around.

Really? The rest of us?

Like these people?

Tesla Model 3 unparks itself and drives to save family from torrential rainstorm

Tesla Smart Summon is life-changing for drivers with mobility problems

Smart Summon: Amazing. Wow. What’s next?!

What if "the rest of us" stopped using SS? How much money would you have lost out on with the purchase of this feature?

I'd hate to see this discussion take on a confrontational vibe. I sincerely am asking to see some successful Smart Summon videos in realistic situations so I can understand why my attempts haven't worked well. From what I'm reading on this forum, I'm not alone, which is why I said it will be useful for the rest of us.

Of the links you pointed to, one of them has a video. The other two are people who are happy with Smart Summon. There are no videos there. I'm happy for those who are able to use it, and I'd like to be one of them. Seeing videos of the feature in action is helpful for us to get a feel for the common sense situations where we can use this feature.

You mentioned that you would like to make a video and I would love to see it. I want to see this feature work well. I'm not confronting you.

Reactions: whatthe2
Oh...just happen to be a drone passing by a parking lot and noticed a model 3 with no one inside ( view from the top ) and recorded it.....by happenstance.

Really?

Just like with FSD ( autopilot ) back in 2015.... we will just let the nay-sayers simmer down until...….

You do have to wonder about the motives of people - test something in a way it's almost certainly going to fall short of their unrealistic expectations and then post about it, grab the clicks and get 15 seconds of fame.

How many of you remember EAP in 2015 when it first came out? If so....is Smart Summon as good now as EAP was in 2015?
It was simply called “Auto Pilot” when it first came out, and yes I’ve been using it since that time. Of course all AP functions have dramatically improved since then, and Summon will also improve in a similar manner in the years to come.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
I'd hate to see this discussion take on a confrontational vibe. I sincerely am asking to see some successful Smart Summon videos in realistic situations so I can understand why my attempts haven't worked well. From what I'm reading on this forum, I'm not alone, which is why I said it will be useful for the rest of us.

Of the links you pointed to, one of them has a video. The other two are people who are happy with Smart Summon. There are no videos there. I'm happy for those who are able to use it, and I'd like to be one of them. Seeing videos of the feature in action is helpful for us to get a feel for the common sense situations where we can use this feature.

You mentioned that you would like to make a video and I would love to see it. I want to see this feature work well. I'm not confronting you.
Here you go. It’s from my BlackVue and it was still in parking mode for the first part so it’s sped up. Basic, but successful test.

I saw this video on YouTube. It's from The Frugal Tesla Guy, who is a big Tesla advocate.

To put it mildly, the car appears very confused.

At 4:00, it drives up on a curb and damages a rim.
Also at 2:30 it tries to drive over the curb. Most Model 3 I see have curbed wheels so maybe the problem is the training data set for the NN.

It's disappointing to see so many Youtubers trying to hurt the car and the public with irresponsible test scenario's like the Frugal Tesla Guy's video linked above. If you are feeling uneasy about the test, it's because your being careless at best, and negligent at worst. If you want to make a freak'in YouTube video in busy parking lot like Costco, at least ride in the driver's seat, so you don't threaten or endanger the public.

Want 'a take bets on how long before "beta Smart Summon" get's banned locally by regulators or parking lot owners?

Reactions: dingmah and cwerdna
It's disappointing to see so many Youtubers trying to hurt the car and the public with irresponsible test scenario's like the Frugal Tesla Guy's video linked above. If you are feeling uneasy about the test, it's because your being careless at best, and negligent at worst. If you want to make a freak'in YouTube video in busy parking lot like Costco, at least ride in the driver's seat, so you don't threaten or endanger the public.

Want 'a take bets on how long before "beta Smart Summon" get's banned locally by regulators or parking lot owners?

Releasing this to the untrained public is what's irresponsible. This has been tested by the "experts" for how long and they decided it was good enough for the public to try it out.

It's consistent with NoA, which is still a mess.

If Tesla really wanted to give us summon they'd have allowed us to steer the car, stop, and shift into forward/reverse manually. Limiting the speed to 3 mph and using the sensors to stop collisions as fail-safes would not have been a problem.

irresponsible test scenario's
I'm curious what was irresponsible about the test scenario? I've been calling out people for crazy irresponsible test scenarios (like that earlier video in the rain) where they use it when they can't see the car or where there are fast moving cars. Tesla should provide more information about where it is appropriate to use. It's not obvious from the release notes why the parking lot Frugal Guy tested in is not supported. Obviously it probably shouldn't be tested anywhere near curbs but they don't say that in the release notes.

. It's not obvious from the release notes why the parking lot Frugal Guy tested in is not supported.
In his video, the curbing happened more or less concurrently with his having lost line of sight with the car. It also did help that the person doing the Summoning was not the person with their eyeballs on the car. There's a lot of lost time with the chain of "oh my, the car is in a dangerous spot. Better shout." leading to "Ah, I have heard a shout. I shall now remove my thumb from the button".

I saw this video on YouTube. It's from The Frugal Tesla Guy, who is a big Tesla advocate.

To put it mildly, the car appears very confused.

At 4:00, it drives up on a curb and damages a rim.

This test was done in challenging parking lot that one part of the parking lot is at ground level where the Tesla is parked and tried to summon it to the second level which is 15-20 ft higher that was supposed be be completed by going out into the street, then down the street, then to the entrance up the hill around the curve and to him. That's not where Enhanced summon is at.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865