Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
nice, it was rather annoying when the wipers would turn on sometimes when I start the car in dry conditions.

People have had such varying experienced with the wipers, it's kind of amazing. I've only had a few phantom wipes in my garage, but other than that the wipers really have been just fine for me for the last 6 months of ownership. Others have had veritable nightmares with the wipers, so much so that they only use them in manual mode (!!!), so I've always wondered and will continue to wonder what the issue is/was. Maybe this new update is a way of stabilizing everyone. I hope it doesn't break my wipers because they've been just great for me!

People have had such varying experienced with the wipers, it's kind of amazing. I've only had a few phantom wipes in my garage, but other than that the wipers really have been just fine for me for the last 6 months of ownership. Others have had veritable nightmares with the wipers, so much so that they only use them in manual mode (!!!), so I've always wondered and will continue to wonder what the issue is/was. Maybe this new update is a way of stabilizing everyone. I hope it doesn't break my wipers because they've been just great for me!

I wouldn't call them a "nightmare", they're just bad compared to the proven technology. To think we need a "rain neural net" instead of them just intalling a proven $5 IR sensor is a bit ridiculous and seems such a waste.

After 18 months of ownership and heading into my second winter, mine are set to off all the time, I do a manual wipe when I have to and if I need them on longer I hit manual then fumble to press one of the speeds. Auto just isn't good enough - most of the time it doesn't wipe when it should ("I can't see mode") or wipes way more than it should ("crazy wipers mode"). Rarely does it just work like I've been used to with my previous cars and their IR sensors.

I wouldn't call them a "nightmare", they're just bad compared to the proven technology. To think we need a "rain neural net" instead of them just intalling a proven $5 IR sensor is a bit ridiculous and seems such a waste.

After 18 months of ownership and heading into my second winter, mine are set to off all the time, I do a manual wipe when I have to and if I need them on longer I hit manual then fumble to press one of the speeds. Auto just isn't good enough - most of the time it doesn't wipe when it should ("I can't see mode") or wipes way more than it should ("crazy wipers mode"). Rarely does it just work like I've been used to with my previous cars and their IR sensors.

Well we can agree to disagree on the "proven" technology. My last car had the IR sensor for wipers, and I still had to manually wipe every now and then, ESPECIALLY if the car was parked and I wanted to jump in, start the car, and drive away. Every time I had to wipe the windshield because I don't think the IR sensor realizes when the car is off and then turned on - that rain is even there (just my theory, anyway). This process hasn't changed that I'm aware of, in VWs. My 2016 Golf R had this issue, and my neighbor's 2019 e-Golf behaves identically.

Bottom line is I'm happier with my Model 3 wipers than my IR-based Golf's wipers. I don't doubt your experience with your wipers (way too many complaints on the matter to doubt that, along with the need for a neural net now), but it's not my experience, and I see my fair share of rain here in Seattle!

I would like to be able to set the sensitivity of the Auto setting.

Hit that manual button then once you get this update. Apparently that will trigger a "learning moment" with this new system. It'll probably take a small clip, upload it to Tesla, and then figure out if you needed them faster or didn't need them at all and then train the system with that new information.

Hit that manual button then once you get this update. Apparently that will trigger a "learning moment" with this new system. It'll probably take a small clip, upload it to Tesla, and then figure out if you needed them faster or didn't need them at all and then train the system with that new information.

It would seem that that is fleet wide. Not everyone likes it the same. That would work well for a good base, but the ability to tweak it locally for your liking would be ideal.

Not everyone likes it the same.

Exactly. Everybody's expectations and desires are different. Simplifying, I think of it like this:

Type R people: Rain on the windshield is the most annoying so immediately wipe when there is any.

Type W people: Running wipers are most annoying so don't run the wipers until the rain builds up a bit.

As noted above, the ideal scenario would be to allow us to train our own car with the little button on the left. Pretty sure they can't do that now but having different modes (e.g. R or W) would be a great start.

Actually, I would be happy with suggestions I have seen to let the left scroll wheel select manual wiper setting just after pushing the button.

NOTE: I am type R.

That seems so true. I'm one of the lucky ones. Mine were trash when I got the car in 12/2018, but have also been pretty much spot on the last 6 most or so.

Living in Seattle we have so much light rain / mist / drizzle / etc etc that the wipers have been one of my bigger annoyances. It HAS been getting better but honestly if instead tying up a neural net for this please just remove the 3 "manual" speeds they'd just give me a slider so I could set it exactly to the speed I really want for any given rain event.

I would like to be able to set the sensitivity of the Auto setting.

Exactly. Everybody's expectations and desires are different. Simplifying, I think of it like this:

Type R people: Rain on the windshield is the most annoying so immediately wipe when there is any.

Type W people: Running wipers are most annoying so don't run the wipers until the rain builds up a bit.

As noted above, the ideal scenario would be to allow us to train our own car with the little button on the left. Pretty sure they can't do that now but having different modes (e.g. R or W) would be a great start.

Actually, I would be happy with suggestions I have seen to let the left scroll wheel select manual wiper setting just after pushing the button.

NOTE: I am type R.

Living in Seattle we have so much light rain / mist / drizzle / etc etc that the wipers have been one of my bigger annoyances. It HAS been getting better but honestly if instead tying up a neural net for this please just remove the 3 "manual" speeds they'd just give me a slider so I could set it exactly to the speed I really want for any given rain event.

When did you get your 3? I have zero issues in the light rain/mist/drizzle etc.

When did you get your 3? I have zero issues in the light rain/mist/drizzle etc.

March of 2019. I feel the wipers are to agressive in general. I'm in the camp where I like the wipers to turn on as little as possible - I realize not everyone feels that way - again why I'd prefer just a variable speed slider instead of 3 presets that are all waay to aggressive for the kind of rain we get here.

At least the wipers stopped going like gangbusters for the first 10-15 seconds whenever I parked outside in the rain and first got into the car a few updates ago.

EDIT - to Fred's comment above, I did notice my wipers were activating in fog as well, when we had that week of foggy weather a couple weeks ago. Just another example of overly aggressive wiping algorithms IMHO.

March of 2019. I feel the wipers are to agressive in general. I'm in the camp where I like the wipers to turn on as little as possible - I realize not everyone feels that way - again why I'd prefer just a variable speed slider instead of 3 presets that are all waay to aggressive for the kind of rain we get here.

At least the wipers stopped going like gangbusters for the first 10-15 seconds whenever I parked outside in the rain and first got into the car a few updates ago.

EDIT - to Fred's comment above, I did notice my wipers were activating in fog as well, when we had that week of foggy weather a couple weeks ago. Just another example of overly aggressive wiping algorithms IMHO.

I get the mad wiping for 5-10 seconds when I get into the car when it's been sitting out in the rain. Much better than in my IR-based Golf where it would do nothing until I manually did the first wipe. That was annoying!

I get the mad wiping for 5-10 seconds when I get into the car when it's been sitting out in the rain. Much better than in my IR-based Golf where it would do nothing until I manually did the first wipe. That was annoying!

Same here.... the first pass clears all the standing fog/water off the glass, then it goes insane on the highest speed for about four or five seconds, then stops, then wipes once or twice more for the heck of it, and then is done. It drives me insane.

Reactions: RobRain
Same here.... the first pass clears all the standing fog/water off the glass, then it goes insane on the highest speed for about four or five seconds, then stops, then wipes once or twice more for the heck of it, and then is done. It drives me insane.

I have no issue with that at all. It's for the first few seconds after you get in the car. I want it to clean that stuff off ASAP!

Reactions: Char

Interesting that your experience exactly parallels mine. And in the same city. My previous car, a Mazda 3 had perfectly calibrated auto wipers. My Tesla Model 3, not so much. In fact, as you pointed out, they're actually dangerous to rely on during shoulder season slush days. Don't know what technology was used in the Mazda 3, but it should serve as the target to aspire to.

Reactions: ChrisA70