Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised that no one mentioned the 14-50 Hubbell outlet RR450F. It is their “Trade Select” residential version and it is sold on Amazon for < $15. Its design is very similar to their commercial HBL9450A, which is much more expensive. The main difference between the two outlets is that the RR450F was designed for Copper and Aluminum wiring and the HBL9450A is for copper wires only. So the HBL9450A wire clamp is made of copper and the RR450F wire clam is made of aluminum. Both contact material is made of copper as stated on their data sheets but I believe they are actually made of Beryllium Copper, which adds the springing action to the contact. Also, the HBL9450A is slightly larger and heavier and it requires a special plate cover as everyone noted.

https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_HBL9450A_spec.pdf
https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_RR450F_spec.pdf

After using the cheap HD Leviton outlet for about 28 month, it started to overheat and reduce the charging current to 16A so I decided to replace the outlet with this Hubbell RR450F, which looks ten times better than the Leviton or other similar outlets. I was surprised that it lasted that long as I am in Phoenix AZ and my Garage temperature in the summer gets to 120-130 degrees practically every day. After I removed completely the outlet and looked at the wires, I could see that the terminal screw was only clamping 3 or 4 strands of 7 strands wire. The other 3 or 4 strands were simply pushed away from the screw without any contact pressure. Basically, you would end up with double the contact resistance in comparison if all 7 strands were tightly clamped. No wonder these outlet catch on fire, it is just a matter of time, and how tightly the crew terminal was initially tightened.

View attachment 792982View attachment 792983View attachment 792984View attachment 792985
Thanks for the tip! There have been several posters who would have been better off with an AL capable outlet, too!

What is the brand/model of the power meter to the right? I don't think I'd buy one since I already have the monitors in the car, but it looks like an interesting bit of hardware.

Thanks for the tip! There have been several posters who would have been better off with an AL capable outlet, too!

What is the brand/model of the power meter to the right? I don't think I'd buy one since I already have the monitors in the car, but it looks like an interesting bit of hardware.
The monitor is a cheap Chinese module from AliExpress, you can get it also from eBay for ~ $20 . Search for "Power monitor module". I actually installed it before I got my model 3. The tesla basically can provide the same information so in a way it is redundant but it is nice to see it without going into the car while charging.

I am surprised that no one mentioned the 14-50 Hubbell outlet RR450F. It is their “Trade Select” residential version and it is sold on Amazon for < $15. Its design is very similar to their commercial HBL9450A, which is much more expensive. The main difference between the two outlets is that the RR450F was designed for Copper and Aluminum wiring and the HBL9450A is for copper wires only. So the HBL9450A wire clamp is made of copper and the RR450F wire clam is made of aluminum. Both contact material is made of copper as stated on their data sheets but I believe they are actually made of Beryllium Copper, which adds the springing action to the contact. Also, the HBL9450A is slightly larger and heavier and it requires a special plate cover as everyone noted.

https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_HBL9450A_spec.pdf
https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_RR450F_spec.pdf

After using the cheap HD Leviton outlet for about 28 month, it started to overheat and reduce the charging current to 16A so I decided to replace the outlet with this Hubbell RR450F, which looks ten times better than the Leviton or other similar outlets. I was surprised that it lasted that long as I am in Phoenix AZ and my Garage temperature in the summer gets to 120-130 degrees practically every day. After I removed completely the outlet and looked at the wires, I could see that the terminal screw was only clamping 3 or 4 strands of 7 strands wire. The other 3 or 4 strands were simply pushed away from the screw without any contact pressure. Basically, you would end up with double the contact resistance in comparison if all 7 strands were tightly clamped. No wonder these outlet catch on fire, it is just a matter of time, and how tightly the crew terminal was initially tightened.

View attachment 792982View attachment 792983View attachment 792984View attachment 792985
I just installed a 50amp Home Depot breaker (using 6/3 stranded) on Sunday in preparation for our Tesla arrival and went the cheaper route on the 14-50 because I didn't want to spend almost $50 on one of the ones mentioned earlier in this thread.

The first breaker we bought ended up being defective as one side was only pushing 10amps. As we unscrewed the clamps on the wires of the 14-50 outlet, we noticed some of the strands were untouched and like you said, pushed to the side.

So while we wait for a VIN, I'll go ahead and get this one you just recommend. Thanks for the in-depth review.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I have a 10-50R Welder Outlet in my garage.

What are your thoughts on an adaptor to 14-50 vs replacing the outlet?

I want to be able to use the outlet for my Arc and Wirefeed Welders. I use them once maybe twice a year so probably better to just hard wire the 14-50 or 6-50 outlet and get an Adapter for the welder.

I want to be able to use the outlet for my Arc and Wirefeed Welders. I use them once maybe twice a year so probably better to just hard wire the 14-50 or 6-50 outlet and get an Adapter for the welder.
There's also NEMA 10-50 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3/Y Gen 2 – EVSE Adapters , although its pricey and out of stock at the moment. I'd probably replace the receptacle with a 6-50 and use an adapter for the welder(or replace the cable for the welder). You'll be in the immediate area and awake when you are using the welder, so if something goes wrong you won't burn to death in your sleep like you might if you tried to use an adapter for the 10-50 to 14-50(or 6-50). Get the right UMC adapter and it'll be safe(r).

Check out EVSE Adapters – Electric vehicle charging solutions, adapter cords for EV, RV, welders, and more. Charge anywhere.

May be able to buy a 10-50 Tesla adapter from them.

If you are unable to find stock for the 10-50 to Tesla adapter, there are also 10-50 to 14-50 adapters that are wired to interface with the Tesla 14-50 adapter (do not use the adapter for anything else though!):

According to one of the Q&As:
"Q: Can this be used for rv? If not why?
A: Neutral is not connected, found by using a volt meter. I actually expected Ground to be tied to Neutral, but this seems to work for EVs.
W (Neutral) -> Open
X - > Hot 1 (Black wire on my connector)
Y -> Hot 2 (Green wire on my connector)
G -> Neutral (White wire on my connector)"

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-EV1050T-Adapter-compatible-Vehicles/dp/B00STD9SJY

The Tesla 14-50 adapter does not use the Neutral (it is not connected to anything), so the above 10-50 adapter would work fine for it.

Generic 10-50 to 14-50 adapters might not work however, given the ground might not be connected (or it'll have another pigtail wire for you to clip to a ground).

If you are unable to find stock for the 10-50 to Tesla adapter, there are also 10-50 to 14-50 adapters that are wired to interface with the Tesla 14-50 adapter (do not use the adapter for anything else though!):

According to one of the Q&As:
"Q: Can this be used for rv? If not why?
A: Neutral is not connected, found by using a volt meter. I actually expected Ground to be tied to Neutral, but this seems to work for EVs.
W (Neutral) -> Open
X - > Hot 1 (Black wire on my connector)
Y -> Hot 2 (Green wire on my connector)
G -> Neutral (White wire on my connector)"

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-EV1050T-Adapter-compatible-Vehicles/dp/B00STD9SJY

The Tesla 14-50 adapter does not use the Neutral (it is not connected to anything), so the above 10-50 adapter would work fine for it.

Generic 10-50 to 14-50 adapters might not work however, given the ground might not be connected (or it'll have another pigtail wire for you to clip to a ground).
Thank you for the reply this is positive news for sure.

I just installed a 50amp Home Depot breaker (using 6/3 stranded) on Sunday in preparation for our Tesla arrival and went the cheaper route on the 14-50 because I didn't want to spend almost $50 on one of the ones mentioned earlier in this thread.

The first breaker we bought ended up being defective as one side was only pushing 10amps. As we unscrewed the clamps on the wires of the 14-50 outlet, we noticed some of the strands were untouched and like you said, pushed to the side.

So while we wait for a VIN, I'll go ahead and get this one you just recommend. Thanks for the in-depth review.
There is nothing wrong with the HD circuit breakers, its their Leviton 14-50 outlet that suck.

If you know what you are doing, it should fairly simple to add an 14-50 outlet right next to your existing 10-50R outlet and wire them in parallel.

My son has a 6-50 outlet for his welder, that I bought an adapter for to charge my car when I visit. It works fine.
My son order a new Model 3 and I was able to buy him the 6-50 adapter last month for him. Not sure what the 10-50 welder plug is.

If you know what you are doing, it should fairly simple to add an 14-50 outlet right next to your existing 10-50R outlet and wire them in parallel.
There are a couple of specific warnings to give against this advice:

1. Outlets being installed for EV charging must be dedicated, according to electric code. So you can't install anything "in parallel".

2. That likely doesn't have all four wires needed for a 14-50, or that's probably what would have already been there. A 10-50 only has Hot1, Hot2, and Neutral. It has no ground. So I expect there are only three wires going there.

There are a couple of specific warnings to give against this advice:

1. Outlets being installed for EV charging must be dedicated, according to electric code. So you can't install anything "in parallel".

2. That likely doesn't have all four wires needed for a 14-50, or that's probably what would have already been there. A 10-50 only has Hot1, Hot2, and Neutral. It has no ground. So I expect there are only three wires going there.
The 10-50 outlet uses only 3 wires, 2 HOT and GROUND, it DOESNT use neutral and it definitely uses a ground wire! BTW, the Tesla DOESN'T use or need the neutral wire.

• Disagree
Reactions: vlee and Rocky_H
The 10-50 outlet uses only 3 wires, 2 HOT and GROUND, it DOESNT use neutral and it definitely uses a ground wire! BTW, the Tesla DOESN'T use or need the neutral wire.
You might want to recheck that... "NEMA 10s are classified as 125/250 V non-grounding (hot-hot-neutral)," and https://images.tradeservice.com/9ETBOIYK8205G6UU/ATTACHMENTS/DIR100235/HUBBBAE00255_A43.pdf (look for HBL7962) suggest that the third conductor is W, for white or Neutral, not G for Ground.

Even better, the heading of https://hubbellcdn.com/specsheet/WIRING_HBL7962_spec.pdf says "3 wire Non-Grounding"

The 10-50 outlet uses only 3 wires, 2 HOT and GROUND, it DOESNT use neutral and it definitely uses a ground wire!
Well, at least you didn't use the word "actually" while trying to correct me with false information.

The 10-XX series of outlets use neutral, not ground. That's generally the reason why they were after a while considered not safe and phased out of being allowed for newer installations in 1996. What you are thinking of are the 6-XX type of outlets. Those are the 240V only with ground.
BTW, the Tesla DOESN'T use or need the neutral wire.
Right. Yes, the Tesla cable doesn't need a 120V connection if the 240V connection is there, so it doesn't connect to the neutral of a 14-XX type of outlet. But it does want to check if there is a ground. So on the 10-XX type of outlets, there's a bit of fudging there. The Tesla cable is putting its ground pin on the neutral of the 10-50 to try to confirm it's at 0V. It should be, so it just pretends it's a ground and uses it that way.

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
Well, at least you didn't use the word "actually" while trying to correct me with false information.

The 10-XX series of outlets use neutral, not ground. That's generally the reason why they were after a while considered not safe and phased out of being allowed for newer installations in 1996. What you are thinking of are the 6-XX type of outlets. Those are the 240V only with ground.

Right. Yes, the Tesla cable doesn't need a 120V connection if the 240V connection is there, so it doesn't connect to the neutral of a 14-XX type of outlet. But it does want to check if there is a ground. So on the 10-XX type of outlets, there's a bit of fudging there. The Tesla cable is putting its ground pin on the neutral of the 10-50 to try to confirm it's at 0V. It should be, so it just pretends it's a ground and uses it that way.
I can confirm the latter as I bought a 10-30 Tesla adapter also for an older dryer outlet and tested the continuity of the pins to compare, it just pretends the neutral is the ground. In the 14-50 adapter, it instead ignores the neutral and has the ground pin as ground.

• Informative
Hey everyone, this might seem like a stupid question, but when installing a 14-50 outlet, at what height from the floor should I install it at?
Traditional rules don't apply in a garage. Some suggest 18" above the floor at a minimum, to reduce the chance of water(or salty water) or gas fumes getting to it. For a UMC, I'd expect a couple feet minimum, so the UMC can be below it(or you could mount it upside down and have the UMC above it). Make sure you have a holster or other mounting method for the UMC so its not just hanging on the cord. The round hole goes on top if you want the UMC below the outlet.

• Helpful