Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wall plug temperature too high suggests poor contact between the plug blades and outlet contacts. Check the plug blades and outlet contacts for corrosion, and check the outlet contacts for misalignment or looseness. If the outlet contacts are steel instead of brass or are not full size, that can also increase heat.

Poor wire clamping can also increase heat, but that would be on the back of the outlet and less detectable by the plug heat sensor.

I need to replace an original 10-30R outlet from a late 60’s era home.

Current plug is still functional but it just seems like best practice to just replace with a modern one.

What would be recommended Bryant or Hubbell 10-30R outlets ?

Hubbell seems to have both a 9350 and a 9303. Both are $25’ish. Not sure the difference. I suspect Bryant has two comparable models.

Last edited:
I need to replace an original 10-30R outlet from a late 60’s era home.

Current plug is still functional but it just seems like best practice to just replace with a modern one.

What would be recommended Bryant or Hubbell 10-30R outlets ?

Hubbell seems to have both a 9350 and a 9303. Both are $25’ish. Not sure the difference. I suspect Bryant has two comparable models.
Only the 9303 shows up on Hubbell's site using their official search. the 9303 is actually Bryant branded.
Straight Blade Devices, Receptacles, Flush Mount, Single, Commercial/Industrial Grade, Reinforced Thermoplastic Polyester, 30A 125/250V | 9303 | Hubbell

Catalog page says it's made of Reinforced Thermoplastic Polyester (same as the Bryant 9450FR 14-50 outlet)
https://hubbellcdn.com/catalogpage/Bryant_Catalog_A26_CatPage.pdf

The HBL9350 appears actually be the Hubbell branded one, and only was able to find a catalog page reference via google. It says it is made of phenolic (similar to Bakelite I suppose):
https://hubbellcdn.com/catalogpage/Wiring_Catalog_A41_CatPage.pdf

They both appear to be industrial, although the diameter is the same as the residential ones (unlike the 9450FR ones that have a larger front diameter) and also they appear to use screw terminals instead the clamps that the 9450FR use.

Catalog page says it's made of Reinforced Thermoplastic Polyester (same as the Bryant 9450FR 14-50 outlet)

The HBL9350 appears actually be the Hubbell branded one, and only was able to find a catalog page reference via google. It says it is made of phenolic (similar to Bakelite I suppose):

They both appear to be industrial, although the diameter is the same as the residential ones (unlike the 9450FR ones that have a larger front diameter) and also they appear to use screw terminals instead the clamps that the 9450FR use.

Yes, it’s appears the HBL9350 looks to have been dropped in the last year or two. It used to be on the website.

From what I can find as well they appear identical except for the material as you mentioned. It’s hard to tell about the inside though as is usually the case.

The 9350 states government in some official specification pages, were the 9303 states industrial. I’m assuming the “Bakelite” is what makes it government over industrial.

Sounds like I’m either case they are both good quality and it’s just a tossup between either?

They’re both have a massive connection box on the back so here’s hope my standard depth box has room to fit one. Not to mention they both require wires to go straight in through the back, which will require even more depth. Well unless are 90 degree the 60’s copper which is not likely recommended.

Yes, it’s appears the HBL9350 looks to have been dropped in the last year or two. It used to be on the website.

From what I can find as well they appear identical except for the material as you mentioned. It’s hard to tell about the inside though as is usually the case.

The 9350 states government in some official specification pages, were the 9303 states industrial. I’m assuming the “Bakelite” is what makes it government over industrial.

Sounds like I’m either case they are both good quality and it’s just a tossup between either?

They’re both have a massive connection box on the back so here’s hope my standard depth box has room to fit one. Not to mention they both require wires to go straight in through the back, which will require even more depth. Well unless are 90 degree the 60’s copper which is not likely recommended.
In terms of quality presumably both would be good as they are both considered industrial style outlets.

Radwell does have some pictures, it shows the screws on the sides, maybe it might be possible to squeeze in wires from side also, but looks like it is primarily designed to go in from the back.
2e815d9a55e844109e64bc59b976f607.jpg

fbfc5c914c8f4efbba38603dca3440e0.jpg

Manufactured by - HUBBELL KELLEMS

In terms of quality presumably both would be good as they are both considered industrial style outlets.

Radwell does have some pictures, it shows the screws on the sides, maybe it might be possible to squeeze in wires from side also, but looks like it is primarily designed to go in from the back.

Here’s the back as well. Only looks like the back is usable. I went and measured the box and looked at the 9350 specifications and seems like I should have about 1/2 between back of box and back of receptacle; which should give a “safe” bend on the 50 year old solid copper 10 gauge.
IMG_0359.jpeg
IMG_0268.jpeg

Last edited:

It looks like only the 14-50 Hubbell / Bryant outlets have the easier-to-install-correctly wire clamping. Their 6-50 outlets use screw-down wire clamping like just about every other brand, so it would not be surprising if all of the lower amperage outlets also used screw-down wire clamping. Screw-down wire clamping can be installed safely, but requires more care during installation.

Screw-down wire clamping can be installed safely, but requires more care during installation.

How important would it be to buy a torque screwdriver? Necessary to get it done right? Or just helpful?

I’ve never had need for one before and likely won’t again.

The not cheap $50-100 analog models don’t seem like the best quality and the gauges don’t inspire confidence.

The absurd $200-500 precision digital ones seem trustworthy but I’m not going to spend more on a single me time use screwdriver than I would for the charging unit.

How important would it be to buy a torque screwdriver?
If you decide to get one, make sure it handles the torque amount you want it for. I was able to use my torque screwdriver for the circuit breaker of the 14-50 circuit I installed but not the receptacle itself. My screwdriver goes up to 65 in·lb but the Bryant 14-50 receptacle required 75 in·lb. So, for the receptacle I had to use my 25-250 in·lb ("click" type) ratchet torque wrench.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dave EV
It looks like only the 14-50 Hubbell / Bryant outlets have the easier-to-install-correctly wire clamping. Their 6-50 outlets use screw-down wire clamping like just about every other brand, so it would not be surprising if all of the lower amperage outlets also used screw-down wire clamping. Screw-down wire clamping can be installed safely, but requires more care during installation.
The Hubbell 14-30 outlet I installed had the clamp down type wire connections.

How important would it be to buy a torque screwdriver? Necessary to get it done right? Or just helpful?

I’ve never had need for one before and likely won’t again.

The not cheap $50-100 analog models don’t seem like the best quality and the gauges don’t inspire confidence.

The absurd $200-500 precision digital ones seem trustworthy but I’m not going to spend more on a single me time use screwdriver than I would for the charging unit.
Even though code calls for a torque screwdriver even for screw terminals on outlets, I've never seen a electrician use one. What they usually do is make sure the wire is in all the way (make sure to strip enough for this), tighten, wiggle/tug on wire to make sure it doesn't come out, and tighten again. Some wrap it around the screw with pliers for more contact, but if this is done make sure the wire does not overlap or it will not be a flat surface and may not be able to be properly clamped. Also some terminals are not directly screws, but have a clamp that the screw tightens, so wraparound may not be appropriate for those (given the clamps are typically designed for a straight in wire).

Usually bad connections fail the wiggle/tug test.

If you are getting a torque screwdriver, make sure you know the actual torque specs of the outlet first.

I need to use the 10-30 due to age and lack of extra wire.

Do you have your part number so i can contract the spec sheets and get this right the first time.

I would consider pulling a 50A to replacing the existing 30A but it’s going to be a nightmare enough. At least 100 ft of wire which won’t be cheap these days and tons of junction boxes to go through.

Besides I work from home 100% and only drive about 3k a year these last 3 years.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on using thread lock paste in general, let alone for higher risk higher power connections ?

Does thread lock interfere with the metal conductivity? Is so is there a better way to make sure the screws don’t back out. The original outlet has had the trim ring separate from the back box and since the screws are behind plaster, two gang box with one gang trim? I’m going to have to carefully chisel out the plastic just to get to the screws to retighten. As it’s my ground (?) it needs a solid connection in constant contact.

Btw I saw that Leviton (I think) now has some lower power outlets that that now use the clicking level Wago style connections. Such a great design. Just shove the wires in and press the clamp down. Takes a seconds to wire.

Last edited:
Interesting... so if you want the clamp-down wire connections, it may be worth paying the Hubbell / Bryant premium for 14-50 or 14-30 outlets, but not other outlets like 6-50 or 10-30 since those Hubbell / Bryant outlets have screw-down wire connections like most others (although it is best to choose non-Leviton outlets for -50 and probably -30 based on the plug blade contacts).

I need to use the 10-30 due to age and lack of extra wire.
Do you still need to use it for a dryer though? If not, then it wouldn't really need to stay as a 10-30. I get why you are saying it can't go to 14-30 if you don't have the extra wire that a 14-30 would require, but the substitute for a 240V only outlet that an EV charging connection would need is a 6-30. It is only three wires and is just Hot1, Hot2, and ground, and you could switch to that from the wire that the 10-30 already has there.

Do you still need to use it for a dryer though? If not, then it wouldn't really need to stay as a 10-30. I get why you are saying it can't go to 14-30 if you don't have the extra wire that a 14-30 would require, but the substitute for a 240V only outlet that an EV charging connection would need is a 6-30. It is only three wires and is just Hot1, Hot2, and ground, and you could switch to that from the wire that the 10-30 already has there.
Except there is no UMC adapter for 6-30. There is a 10-30 adapter.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H