Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford, GM, Volvo, Polestar, and Rivian will be using Tesla's connector in less than two years. Hyundai, Stellantis, and Volkswagen are considering it. ChargePoint and Electrify America will be adding Tesla's connector. Most charger manufacturers will be using it as well. The SAE will be codifying it as a standard. It would be foolish at this point for an automaker not to adopt Tesla's NACS connector.

It is a safe bet that a Tesla Wall Connector purchased today will charge a non-Tesla EV in the future. Porsche may be one of the last holdouts.
True. That's a good point. Though, Porsche might be my next choice, if they release a tri-motor Taycan.

Reactions: zroger73
Yes. Someone did this test a while ago, and it was pretty diminishing returns above 30A. I agree, 240V 16A is lower. I just looked at Tessie and got:

81% efficiency at 108V 12A
92% efficiency at 240V 16A
97% efficiency at 240V 32A

I couldn't find any at 48A to compare, but I doubt that much better.
You would probably get around 98% efficiency at 240V 48A. The car being turned on during charging consumes 250-350W which diminishes as a percentage of the charging power as the charging power goes up.

You would probably get around 98% efficiency at 240V 48A. The car being turned on during charging consumes 250-350W which diminishes as a percentage of the charging power as the charging power goes up.

Could be. I drive 7,000 miles per year. 322 whr / mi. That's 2254 kwhr. Our electricity is 0.1 per kwhr, so $225. So, a 1% improvement in efficiency would save about $2 per year. 😅

Not doing the math to be snarky, I was just curious. I can't really justify the wall connector now that I finally have a working 14-50 outlet and an extra UMC. Also, my electrician ran 6 awg wire, so I don't know if I could even run that much higher current than 40A. And my service was maxed out with one NEMA 14-50 outlet. We installed a NEMA 6-20 for the second car to avoid upgrading beyond 200A.

So I found someone will to sell me their gen 2 wall connector for $250. I'm also seeing Gen 3s for $300. I wonder if it's worth the additional $50. Gen 3 has an 18 foot cable instead of 24 feet. And gen 3 is also wireless for extra capabilities. But I'm pretty confident I won't be using any of those extra capabilities. No second EV expected anytime soon for us. But the idea of something newer is enticing.

So I found someone will to sell me their gen 2 wall connector for $250. I'm also seeing Gen 3s for $300. I wonder if it's worth the additional $50. Gen 3 has an 18 foot cable instead of 24 feet. And gen 3 is also wireless for extra capabilities. But I'm pretty confident I won't be using any of those extra capabilities. No second EV expected anytime soon for us. But the idea of something newer is enticing.
Yeah, wifi for firmware upgrade seems like a good idea.

I wish they still made the 7 foot cord option. That might make it worth it for me.

Ok, but what about all of us who just acquired a M3SR, and received 3 months of Supercharging for free, who are still attempting to learn what to do. Do we just say “screw this” that’s what the 8y100k is for? Would they deny that warranty based on early ownership issue?

Without knowing an actual owner who lives near myself, (High Desert So. Calif) and without any home charging capacity, other than some questionable 110v outlets which have easily popped circuit breakers with simple power equipment. We’ve SC’d 3x so far and miscommunications between the SO & I, each time has been to 99% (2x) and 100% (1).

Also, the first and third time we got to 99% in an acceptable amount of time, but basically, the vehicle stated “calibrating” then “charging“ and on our very first charge did this repeatedly for 25-30 minutes? So unfamiliar and trying to figure out what to d, we sat there together watching the display and waiting. Finally the SO was “PO’d” and decided to just leave, as we’d been there nearly an hour and a half. As soon as she disconnected, it displayed 100%

And please all feel free to leave rude comments and tell me how I posTed in the wrong plac, et all. Trust me, I have looked, searched and I’m over it.

Carry on ;)
This is getting very off topic for this thread, but just to address your points quickly.

It's well known charging to 100% can take a very long time, as such it's never recommended to charge to such at superchargers (especially if others are waiting!) The reason has to do with how battery charging works (it changes to constant voltage near end of charge, and speed slows to a trickle) and battery capacity estimation (battery balancing, etc).

Think intuitively of how you fill a bucket with a hose, it's very difficult to fill it with full flow all the way to 100% full without spilling a drop, but possible if you slow the flow down as you reach near full. For a lithium-ion battery, overflowing the bucket is not an option (that is overcharging and will damage the battery, in the worst case causing a fire).

Charge to 80% or however much you need and be on your way much quicker.

From the manual:
Note:
When charging to 100%, the vehicle may continue to charge with low power when charging is displayed as complete. This is expected operation. Because the added energy beyond this point is low, it is usually not beneficial to continue charging.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
For other threads discussing this subject, you can find a ton here:
Search results for query: charge 100%

If you have a LFP car and see the recommendation by Tesla to charge to 100%, note that it isn't actually necessary unless you frequently need to run the car below 10%. I detailed here that Tesla only introduced that given LFP capacity estimates drift if not charged to 100% occasionally, which has caused some people to be stranded when car shut down unexpectedly (it's made worse given LFP cars generally come with the 16V battery which is much smaller capacity and thus will make the car completely disabled very shortly if HV battery shuts down unexpectedly).
I Picked up my Model 3 today. How can I tell if has LFP battery pack?
LFP to 100% Each Week—Assumptions?

Reactions: n2mb_racing
My question would be how used is it? The cords wear as they are coiled and uncoiled. The electronics get old and suffer from heating and cooling cycles. If the Gen2 has been used steadily for 6-7 years, that would be a big downside. If it was installed outside, even more so.

I'm sitting here in my air conditioned house in DFW where it is regularly over 100 degF this time of year. My house and A/C unit are both about 38 years old. So electronics can last a long time. Even outdoors.
If the seller can send you some pictures, that would be helpful. Even better if you can look at it locally.

My question would be how used is it? The cords wear as they are coiled and uncoiled. The electronics get old and suffer from heating and cooling cycles. If the Gen2 has been used steadily for 6-7 years, that would be a big downside. If it was installed outside, even more so.
That's one reason I've been a bit reluctant to leave my Mobile Connector in the car (the other reason is 6 lbs. of unnecessary weight). The interior varies from 40-150ºF depending on the season. On the other hand, my Wall Connector will vary from 50-150ºF in my garage depending on season and whether or not it is in use. And, all the electronics in the car experience the same thermal cycling or worse...and they tend to hold up just fine.

(I think I just talked myself into keeping the Mobile Connector in the vehicle.)

We have about a dozen 6 kW portable electric heaters at work that have SO cords and twist-lock connectors that get plugged, unplugged, and moved around every day 6 months out of the year. In the nearly two decades I've worked there, I don't recall a single SO cord or connector failure.

I've got extension cords that I've uncoiled and coiled countless times over the years and I've never experienced a broken wire, although I have had the sheathing pull out of the connectors before exposing the individual wires.

I typically don't buy used merchandise, but if a Wall Connector appeared to be okay and was known to work when it was removed from service, I would have a high degree of confidence that it would continue to work for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Genie
Thanks @Genie & @zroger73 with both your assistance, I was able to determine that I have the LFP battery.

IMG_0585.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: zroger73 and Genie
The photos the beginning of this thread are exceptional. THANKS

They make the termination differences very clear, and have convinced me to only use receptacles that are designed so that the wire is pressed between two plates. A beefy plate and the V-shaped Hubbell are extra nice.

I will say though that I wish the wires did not have to take a 90 degree turn to enter the termination point. That ends up being a wrestling match that can lead to wire stress, not to mention being a PITA

The photos the beginning of this thread are exceptional. THANKS

They make the termination differences very clear, and have convinced me to only use receptacles that are designed so that the wire is pressed between two plates. A beefy plate and the V-shaped Hubbell are extra nice.
Careful installation of screw-down wire clamping should work without excessive heat. The plate clamp as used in the Hubbell and Bryant 14-50 (but not 6-50) receptacles is a nice-to-have improvement that makes it easier to avoid errors in installation, but it not as essential as the other key feature to look for.

That other key feature is full size brass contacts to the plug blades. No amount of carefulness of installation will compensate for half size steel contacts that cause more resistance (and therefore heat) at high amperages. These half size steel contacts are found in Leviton 279-S00 (14-50) and 5374 (6-50) receptacles have half size steel contacts; any receptacle with full size brass contacts will be an improvement in this aspect.

See the photos in post #60 of this thread.

So I found a charg point home flex for $200 which seems like a good deal as well. The app looks to have a lot of functionality.

It's also hardwired and can do up to 50A(48A being the max for my model Y). I have the J1772 adapter.

So I'll use that, get a regular 60A breaker (~$20), and get a 4/3 Romex that should be able to handle the 48A.

So I found a charg point home flex for $200 which seems like a good deal as well. The app looks to have a lot of functionality.

It's also hardwired and can do up to 50A(48A being the max for my model Y). I have the J1772 adapter.

So I'll use that, get a regular 60A breaker (~$20), and get a 4/3 Romex that should be able to handle the 48A.
The adapter is really inconvenient. I wouldn't want to do that everyday

No one else is chiming in so I will. You should change something in your plan, “4”, “3”, “Romex”, and/or “60A”. They’re all wrong.

I recommend 4/2 Romex and 50A or 4/2 MC and 60A.

No one else is chiming in so I will. You should change something in your plan, “4”, “3”, “Romex”, and/or “60A”. They’re all wrong.

I recommend 4/2 Romex and 50A or 4/2 MC and 60A.
Hmm, why not Romex? I though the 4/3 was rated for 70A(54A derated)
And I'm looking for a Romex because I'll only be taking it through a foot of drywall and no conduit is needed for Romex.

See post 748

Reactions: Rocky_H
Hmm, why not Romex? I though the 4/3 was rated for 70A(54A derated)
And I'm looking for a Romex because I'll only be taking it through a foot of drywall and no conduit is needed for Romex.

See post 748
You are fine with 4/3 romex at 70(54) amps.

Reactions: Rocky_H