Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD is like lots of other investments in terms of balancing risk/reward. Either you believe the hype or you don’t. The subscription (over time) is just a really unstable option because it has zero resale and it’s almost inevitably either going to rise in price or become unavailable.
otoh, this car is like a very high tech item; laptop or trendy watch or tablet.

those have a tech lifetime of 2 years, give or take. some even degrade faster than that, or the competition makes your current model quite far behind.

battery life on teslas seems pretty good, overall; but I'm not so sure about the body and build, over time. not to mention that tesla, themselves, are their own worst enemy when it comes to hurting their own cars' resale values. model Y came out with no heated steering and now it has it. some models didn't used to have heatpumps and now they have it. some now have auto lift trunks. buying and holding a tesla seems like you already are 'behind' once a 3month period elapses and elon finds some new thing to change on the production line.

harnesses also are tied to the car (I've heard it said that 1/4 or MORE of the car's cost, is in terms of manual time to make a harness and if you need a 'harness change' you basically gut the whole car or just total it). if some new feature needs major harness updates, that's it - game over for that feature. if you want it, rebuy the car with a new model year config.

and so, I dont see this KIND of car to be a long term keeper. cars are now sort of designed to be disposable. I hate it and you do too, I'm sure; but its how its trending.

in the IT world, there's a bit of lore called "pets vs cattle". servers should be 'cattle'; while special one-off systems are 'pets'. I used to think of my car as pet-like; I would get attached to it, modify it, customize it, spend personal time doing installations (mostly audio). but now, it makes no sense for me to spend a lot of time and money on a specific *instance* of a car when I know it will be out of date (for things some of us care about) in no time flat. and so, my car is now a 'cattle car' (lol; should call it lionel, maybe?).

when the New Hotness(tm) is ready, even if some other vendor, I'll be free to leave the old behind and embrace the new.

$10k is a lot of weight and baggage. I want the freedom to drop this thing and go elsewhere should 'elsewhere' prove to be the better product and/or company.

After watching various fsd beta videos and then seeing the fsd subscription offer last night I went all in for it not realizing fsd and fsd beta were two separate things. So I’m a bit let down today but I use autopilot all the time so I think I’ll be happy with the public fsd features for now. I haven’t had a phantom brake in months and the only AP issue I’m not happy with is the wild veer to the right at on-ramp merges — though I’m prepared for those now. But AP has saved my ass several times already and I’m more aware of my surroundings as I drive — so a big fan of the tech. here. To me, it feels like man + machine working in tandem for safety’s sake.

Reactions: JDFPHOTO
Subscribed this morning, soft reboot, and tested for about an hour. First impressions, terrible. Slows down and almost comes to a stop at all traffic lights even though they are green. Smart Summon is wonky, and so is the auto park. Too many kinks. I'll try again after the beta. $200 disappointment.

2021 M3P

Same purchase, car, and initial thoughts, with one exception. The green light detection feature is the bomb and almost worth the $200 by itself.

Tim

Reactions: hcdavis3
So your FSD subscription is making left and right turns on suburban streets?
Let me verify. I used it this morning, it would come to stop signs, turn the wheel to make the right, then stop, then wait for me to hit the accelerator. Then it would come back up to speed and take back over until next stop sign. But let me re-verify all that. It was asking me to make inputs on the steering wheel frequently

It does NOT have rear cross traffic alerts- because you're supposed to back into parking spots anyway, it's objectively safer- thus you should be pulling out of them forward.

You sound real confident there. Where did Tesla say they aren't going to include rear cross traffic alerts because you aren't supposed to park in forward? And does Tesla know some parking lots require forward parking even though it's statistically safer? I think you're making some stuff up now, aren't you?

Reactions: rxlawdude
Subscribed this morning, soft reboot, and tested for about an hour. First impressions, terrible. Slows down and almost comes to a stop at all traffic lights even though they are green. Smart Summon is wonky, and so is the auto park. Too many kinks. I'll try again after the beta. $200 disappointment.

2021 M3P
Agree. Instant regret. Jerky ride and totally unsafe. Glad I didn’t have to spend 10k to figure that out. I hope they figure it out one day but for now it is just a waste of money.

Appeared on my Tesla app that subscription FSD is now available at $199 plus fees per month. I do very little highway driving so I'll most likely wait until it can drive me to work and home on city streets. Just wondering if anyone had gotten it yet? Is it the most recently updated FSD?

Sorry about the grammatical error in the title. Won't let me change it. 🤪🤪

Last edited:
After watching various fsd beta videos and then seeing the fsd subscription offer last night I went all in for it not realizing fsd and fsd beta were two separate things. So I’m a bit let down today but I use autopilot all the time so I think I’ll be happy with the public fsd features for now. I haven’t had a phantom brake in months and the only AP issue I’m not happy with is the wild veer to the right at on-ramp merges — though I’m prepared for those now. But AP has saved my ass several times already and I’m more aware of my surroundings as I drive — so a big fan of the tech. here. To me, it feels like man + machine working in tandem for safety’s sake.

You are still within cancellation window. Advice: Cancel now and re-order when useful features are available.

same here...did it give you any navigate on autopilot options? i was entering some addresses around my suburban neighborhood area but never gave me the option to do any navigating on autopilot even though i see people doing it on youtube in big cities life san fran. havent tried entering a destination which requires highways yet....2021 m3 standard range plus.
It did after I went into Autopilot settings and enabled it. Other than lane change it is entirely useless. The summon feature almost took out a sign, thankful I had my finger on the app to stop it.

Reactions: drewshady
Something along these lines. I'm sure the analytics folks at Tesla have done the market research and ran the numbers. I realize you were just giving an example, but to show the impact of allowing a subscription your example pans out like this:

Say 100 owners:
  • 5% at $10,000 = $50,000
  • 60% at $400 = $24,000
I'm sure they've run the numbers and by adding subscription they expect to extract more revenue out of owners in the long run vs. lump sum purchases. Should be good for TSLA.
But that's the thing, that $24,000 keeps repeating every year, that $50,000 is a one time hit. So if those folks keep their cars 6 years that 100 owners generate $50,000 under the purchase or $144,000 via subscription.

It did after I went into Autopilot settings and enabled it. Other than lane change it is entirely useless. The summon feature almost took out a sign, thankful I had my finger on the app to stop it.
thats crazy. i attempted to play with summon in a full parking lot then changed my mind and went to an empty one. lol. did self park in a pretty full home depot lot next to two cars. it backed in and parked very crooked in the spot.

Reactions: MackT83
KBB private party seems to value FSD over std AP to the tune of about $1200 added value. Not much ROI for those that think it will help resale on a 2019 M3. For those that got little use out of the feature and are selling the per use cost is high for what little it offered over AP or EAP. Now with subscription at $99 for EAP customers I am sure glad I never got FSD and will be happier when I sell my car. Doubt I would buy it on the next one because by the time it is worth that price I would be upgrading again.