Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Either you believe the hype or you don’t. The subscription (over time) is just a really unstable option because it has zero resale and it’s almost inevitably either going to rise in price or become unavailable.
And buying FSD is guaranteed to go a different way?
Tell that to people that bought it in 2016/2017/2018/2019 or had their cars totaled along the way.

Just showed up in my app!

Attachments

• E236DC0F-8DEA-4BBB-A950-31D75EE19376.png
    E236DC0F-8DEA-4BBB-A950-31D75EE19376.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 60
  • BB66A33A-EA31-4B29-B6EA-CCB0132C7872.jpeg
    BB66A33A-EA31-4B29-B6EA-CCB0132C7872.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 54
For all the timelines on subscription since it was announced in April 2020, could it not have been released much sooner? It's no big deal, just $199/month. They could have done this in May 2020.
No, don't you remember, enabling FSD subscriptions was a major technical risk for Tesla. I'm sure they've been working on this very hard task for months now, to the point that it's why the CSA v8 to v9 took 9 months...

A subscription platform for a feature that has not existed at the company before and has "zero technical risk", I've heard it all from you now.
I can count at least 10 major risks without ever even enabling the software feature on the car. But you keep on living in your phantasy land.
Yes - its a learning curve for them. Its not a technical risk in the sense of FSD itself.

BTW, have you ever worked in the I.T. side of a company - even in tech companies ?

• Funny
Reactions: Dan D.
I hope Tesla considers a pay per use model in addition to the subscription. Charge me by the minute every time I engage FSD. The subscription model is a bit of a blunt instrument when compared to a pay for
And buying FSD is guaranteed to go a different way?
Tell that to people that bought it in 2016/2017/2018/2019 or had their cars totaled along the way.
well, *sugar* happens. What a revelation!

In the hypothetical example, the subscription model would generate nearly twice the revenue for Tesla. The example given was $400 per subscriber per year which would mean that if the average owner kept the car for four years, Tesla would still see the $50k from 5% (5 of 100) of owners that paid $10k upfront but would get $96k (60 x $400 x 4 years) from the subscribers over the same period.

If the numbers/stats (however they end up) don't work out in Tesla's favor, I am sure the subscription option will be tweaked if not removed completely.
Don't forget, some portion of the 100 will try it for a month or 2, and find that they really; arent missing out on much, find it too unsafe or not mature enough to trust their lives with.

So I found out how to get it to appear. If you are still on the trial subscription for the Premium Connectivity, you need to go ahead and subscribe to it for the 9.99 after your trial expires. Once you do that the FSD monthly subscription will appear.
This is incorrect. Tesla pushed an app update yesterday and you just need to make sure your app is up to date. Confirmed via a test with my app and a friend who did not update. He had the issue of not showing up and also did not have the latest app update. On mine I had updated earlier and it showed up right away.

And I'll proffer the reverse. Elon constantly made it sound like the sub and CSA would be tied together. He only talked about subs when he thought he was close to CSA over a year ago. Which only makes sense, and would be an amazing marketing release to say "CSA for all customers, and you can now get it for only $199!"

Instead, the fact they just released it on a random Friday, tied to nothing else, with no fanfare, makes it seem like they know CSA is a long time away, and they might as well try for any revenue they can get right now. And now we have Elon saying this about CSA, so even he doesn't indicate it's anytime soon:

Not a random Friday. A week before ER. Definitely something they want to get it out rather than explain why the delay in the call.

Oh Elon, never change. Keep using "definitely". I mean, FSD subs were a "sure thing" for May, and I'm sure he's still getting over his surprise that wide beta didn't come out last month..

But he also famously said - they can be late - but will eventually deliver. Looks like "definitely next month" is delivered 1 1/2 months late. Big deal.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Seems really reasonable compared to $10k upfront.
Yes.

If you are on a 3 year lease - it will cost $7k.

I'm definitely going with this when we get Y/X & CT.

BTW, I expect discounts to be offered with 1 yr / 3 yr commitment, which would be great for leasers (some 20% of the new Model S buyers, for eg).

ps : $10k upfront makes sense if you fear large future price increases. I think that is a couple/few years away.

Reactions: El joe
Looks like "definitely next month" is delivered 1 1/2 months late. Big deal.
"3 months probably, 6 months definitely" was 54 months ago.

Elon said "“I think we will offer Full Self-Driving as a subscription service, but it will be probably towards the end of this year.” last year. The idea that it's just 1.5 months delayed is revisionist history. The code has been in the app since before April 2020. They have clearly been planning this tied to CSA for a very long time, it's just CSA is hyper delayed.

Reactions: daktari
Sorry for my cut-to-the-chase reply here (because tl;dr) but:

1) the first Tesla (in my sig) already has EAP so to purchase/subscribe to FSD which, at this time, only adds stoplight/sign functionality is worth neither $10K nor $99/mo.

2) the second Tesla (wife's MYLR) is leased - IF we had the option to go back and edit the lease, FSD would add $126/mo. to the payment

3) if we had financed through Tesla, FSD would add $149/mo. to the payment

Just got up and no coffee yet so not sure where I'm going with this, but for those who still have the options open to them (unlike us already stuck in a lease) with this subscription being announced now, at least you can see some of the financial components involved here.

Actually, as smart as Elon is, he should now invoke some kind of lease/loan amendment program for those wanting to add the $10K FSD since there is something to compare it to now...and as I recall him stating earlier, buying FSD will seem cheap compared to the subscription price...

Interesting and good point. They'll be able to show a very high take rate from all the people trying it out for a month too, and won't have to talk about the massive drop in the second month.
Thats typical TMC bias.

There will neither be a massive first month take rate, not a large drop out. Every Tesla owner / buyer is not following every development like we do here.

Latest software on vision only lets you drive at 80 mph now. But I agree. Also, most cars come with rear cross traffic alert, some have front cross traffic alert, most have real blind spot warning, and many have "birds eye view" when parking.

Keith
Yeah but that's still too slow. Nobody where I live is driving as slow as 75 or 80. 80-90mph is the norm.

So you're saying the car also doesn't have a real blind spot alert or cross traffic alerts. That's pretty damn poor.

Subscribed this morning, soft reboot, and tested for about an hour. First impressions, terrible. Slows down and almost comes to a stop at all traffic lights even though they are green. Smart Summon is wonky, and so is the auto park. Too many kinks. I'll try again after the beta. $200 disappointment.

2021 M3P
same here...did it give you any navigate on autopilot options? i was entering some addresses around my suburban neighborhood area but never gave me the option to do any navigating on autopilot even though i see people doing it on youtube in big cities life san fran. havent tried entering a destination which requires highways yet....2021 m3 standard range plus.

I got it last night. When I came out the to car this morning it was active. Go into autopilot menu and enable all the settings while in park. Enter an address in the nav screen also in park.

Then start driving and double tap down twice on the right stalk to engage just like you did with basic AP.

It was slamming on brakes at green lights but I need to check the settings and all. I will use it for a month and see.

For all the timelines on subscription since it was announced in April 2020, could it not have been released much sooner? It's no big deal, just $199/month. They could have done this in May 2020.

Tesla is notoriously terrible at internal/back-end IT--- so probably not.

So you're saying the car also doesn't have a real blind spot alert or cross traffic alerts. That's pretty damn poor.

It absolutely has "real" blind spot detection and alerting.

It just doesn't have mirror lights as part of the alert.

It does NOT have rear cross traffic alerts- because you're supposed to back into parking spots anyway, it's objectively safer- thus you should be pulling out of them forward.

same here...did it give you any navigate on autopilot options? i was entering some addresses around my suburban neighborhood area but never gave me the option to do any navigating on autopilot even though i see people doing it on youtube in big cities life san fran. havent tried entering a destination which requires highways yet....2021 m3 standard range plus.
What you are referring to is the city streets driving. That is not yet available except to the very limited beta testers.