Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
otoh, this car is like a very high tech item; laptop or trendy watch or tablet.

those have a tech lifetime of 2 years, give or take. some even degrade faster than that, or the competition makes your current model quite far behind.

battery life on teslas seems pretty good, overall; but I'm not so sure about the body and build, over time. not to mention that tesla, themselves, are their own worst enemy when it comes to hurting their own cars' resale values. model Y came out with no heated steering and now it has it. some models didn't used to have heatpumps and now they have it. some now have auto lift trunks. buying and holding a tesla seems like you already are 'behind' once a 3month period elapses and elon finds some new thing to change on the production line.

harnesses also are tied to the car (I've heard it said that 1/4 or MORE of the car's cost, is in terms of manual time to make a harness and if you need a 'harness change' you basically gut the whole car or just total it). if some new feature needs major harness updates, that's it - game over for that feature. if you want it, rebuy the car with a new model year config.

and so, I dont see this KIND of car to be a long term keeper. cars are now sort of designed to be disposable. I hate it and you do too, I'm sure; but its how its trending.

in the IT world, there's a bit of lore called "pets vs cattle". servers should be 'cattle'; while special one-off systems are 'pets'. I used to think of my car as pet-like; I would get attached to it, modify it, customize it, spend personal time doing installations (mostly audio). but now, it makes no sense for me to spend a lot of time and money on a specific *instance* of a car when I know it will be out of date (for things some of us care about) in no time flat. and so, my car is now a 'cattle car' (lol; should call it lionel, maybe?).

when the New Hotness(tm) is ready, even if some other vendor, I'll be free to leave the old behind and embrace the new.

$10k is a lot of weight and baggage. I want the freedom to drop this thing and go elsewhere should 'elsewhere' prove to be the better product and/or company.
The thing is, the subscription model is great for Tesla because it turns a bunch of zeros into $200 or $400 a year. And sure, it's not autonomous, but I can see how it's close enough for intestate road trips that folks not willing to spend $10K on a hope would be willing to spend $200 - $400 a year, year after year after year, for their family vacations and heavy driving months. So it's just another revenue stream 'free', that's all. If Elon were really smart he'd say something like 'Once you've spent $10,000 for the subscription model you can 'buy it forever' for another $1,500. Then tons of people would start subscribing on the basis that in the end they're just buying the full capability on time. If X number of people are willing to pay $200 just to have it for a month, X + Y people would be willing to buy it to have it for a month AND be making payments toward the full capability.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Subscribed this morning, soft reboot, and tested for about an hour. First impressions, terrible. Slows down and almost comes to a stop at all traffic lights even though they are green. Smart Summon is wonky, and so is the auto park. Too many kinks. I'll try again after the beta. $200 disappointment.

2021 M3P

I assume you have Model Y? I have an early 2021 (really December 2020) Model X and I purchased FSD a month or so ago.

My impressions were similar, initially. My driving was (at first) just around town on surface streets, and FSD frightened me. Like what you said--I found myself quickly having to snatch back control at intersections and roundabouts. FSD seemed useless. But then, (a) I took the car on some longer trips using local freeways and state highways, and (b) I noticed that "autosteer on city streets" is still not here (figuratively, as well as literally) yet.

I am not trying to defend what is clearly not full-self driving yet--more like semi-autonomous driving or some sort of fancy cruise control at best. But now that I am beginning to understand its limitations FSD is, to me, helpful right now on freeways and major highways. The autosteer, lane change, traffic and stop-sign, and auto-braking features do appear to work, at least on high-speed highways. I feel like I am in training for true self driving to come. And that attitude may be key--it is not only the car (and its software) that must improve, it is me, the driver, who must also adapt (at this point) to what is clearly a beta product. I must continue to (safely) explore these features and understand where I need to add input and where I can (figuratively) sit back and give (partial) control over to the car. Finally, I choose to trust that low-speed driving around town will improve once "autosteer on city streets" is released. Does that make sense? Am I being naive?

Again, I fully understand the criticism around FSD. And the hesitancy to lease or purchase expensive FSD right now is totally understandable. But I am going to give the effort the benefit of the doubt, regard it as a glass half full, and wait for promised upgrades (while I continue to practice with the software and car I have). Hopefully, meaningful improvements will come soon. (But balance this upbeat attitude against my postscript comment.)

Postscript: I have not tried "Summon" or "Autopark" yet. (Honestly, I am a little scared to try them in my new car.) Quick story about Autopark, I test drove Model X in 2016. I clearly remember the salesperson, riding in the car as a passenger, greatly impressing me (the driver) with hands-free parallel parking five years ago (on surface streets near Dublin, California). And I can remember Mr. Musk at that time predicting that cars would soon be able to be summoned from your garage to pick you up in another city. I have to say I am disappointed that in some practical ways more significant progress on FSD has seemingly not been achieved since then, but the recent admission by Mr. Musk as to the challenge of self-driving is a telling remark.

Last edited:
After watching various fsd beta videos and then seeing the fsd subscription offer last night I went all in for it not realizing fsd and fsd beta were two separate things. So I’m a bit let down today but I use autopilot all the time so I think I’ll be happy with the public fsd features for now. I haven’t had a phantom brake in months and the only AP issue I’m not happy with is the wild veer to the right at on-ramp merges — though I’m prepared for those now. But AP has saved my ass several times already and I’m more aware of my surroundings as I drive — so a big fan of the tech. here. To me, it feels like man + machine working in tandem for safety’s sake.
I don't have a Tesla yet, so I don't know some of this stuff. But if you were on a long road trip cruising down I-95 or whatever and were content to let it just sit in the right lane and follow the flow of traffic--no exits, no passing, just cruising with the flow of traffic following the car in front of you--how much confidence would you have in it? In that very simple use case is it 99% reliable as an autonomous vehicle?

I could see that it might already be better than a human if it has 24/7, 360 degree vision and reaction speed, because the only real threat there is another idiot essentially throwing themselves into you. And I can conceive at simple detection and avoidance of the other idiot it's probably already better than humans because it's 100% vigilant in 360 degrees. But I don't know that.

Another oddball question--will the Tesla initiate a honk if the idiot next to you is playing with a cell phone and starts drifting into you, something like that? In other words, is a warning honk it its bag of trick?

I don't have a Tesla yet, so I don't know some of this stuff. But if you were on a long road trip cruising down I-95 or whatever and were content to let it just sit in the right lane and follow the flow of traffic--no exits, no passing, just cruising with the flow of traffic following the car in front of you--how much confidence would you have in it? In that very simple use case is it 99% reliable as an autonomous vehicle?

I could see that it might already be better than a human if it has 24/7, 360 degree vision and reaction speed, because the only real threat there is another idiot essentially throwing themselves into you. And I can conceive at simple detection and avoidance of the other idiot it's probably already better than humans because it's 100% vigilant in 360 degrees. But I don't know that.

Autopilot does exceed human ability in terms of following lane lines and keeping in-line with traffic. But at the end of the day, it's still just a computer following instructions. It lacks human creativity, and the ability to respond to novel situations that might arise spontaneously on a roadway.

So as long as you explicitly don't trust Autopilot, and maintain vigilance, your ability to think critically about situations on the road plus Autopilot's unblinking eye guarantees a safer experience than human driving alone.

Also a pro-tip for when/if you get a Tesla, choose the second from the right lane for long road trips. You get a smoother trip on Autopilot when you don't have to deal with the merging right-lane.

I got it last night. When I came out the to car this morning it was active. Go into autopilot menu and enable all the settings while in park. Enter an address in the nav screen also in park.

Then start driving and double tap down twice on the right stalk to engage just like you did with basic AP.

It was slamming on brakes at green lights but I need to check the settings and all. I will use it for a month and see.
Unless you Confirm with the stalk as it is asking yes it will stop at green lights. A simple flip the stalk or if your driving within a distance to a lead vehicle and it works perfectly. Been using it a year with never an issue. And it only works off GPS on the highway not side streets.

Your pro tip is to break the law?
I'm assuming he means when there's three lanes. I'm a massive stickler about cruising in the left lane. After living 11 years in Europe where people actually know how to drive you can see how much better it makes it for everybody. Man, if I could be King for a day that's precisely what I'd do, I'd spend all day giving out tickets to people cruising in the left lane.

But even in Europe it's ok to cruise in the middle of three lanes. You avoid the on/off congestion, and you're staying out of the passing lane. It's a good cruising lane for everybody. And because no idiots are camping in the passing lane you can always pull out and around and get back. It's so, so much better.

I assume you have Model Y? I have an early 2021 (really December 2020) Model X and I purchased FSD a month or so ago.

My impressions were similar, initially. My driving was (at first) just around town on surface streets, and FSD frightened me. Like what you said--I found myself quickly having to snatch back control at intersections and roundabouts. FSD seemed useless. But then, (a) I took the car on some longer trips using local freeways and state highways, and (b) I noticed that "autosteer on city streets" is still not here (figuratively, as well as literally) yet.

I am not trying to defend what is clearly not full-self driving yet--more like semi-autonomous driving or some sort of fancy cruise control at best. But now that I am beginning to understand its limitations FSD is, to me, helpful right now on freeways and major highways. The autosteer, lane change, traffic and stop-sign, and auto-braking features do appear to work, at least on high-speed highways. I feel like I am in training for true self driving to come. And that attitude may be key--it is not only the car (and its software) that must improve, it is me, the driver, who must also adapt (at this point) to what is clearly a beta product. I must continue to (safely) explore these features and understand where I need to add input and where I can (figuratively) sit back and give (partial) control over to the car. Finally, I choose to trust that low-speed driving around town will improve once "autosteer on city streets" is released. Does that make sense? Am I being naive?

Again, I fully understand the criticism around FSD. And the hesitancy to lease or purchase expensive FSD right now is totally understandable. But I am going to give the effort the benefit of the doubt, regard it as a glass half full, and wait for promised upgrades (while I continue to practice with the software and car I have). Hopefully, meaningful improvements will come soon. (But balance this upbeat attitude against my postscript comment.)

Postscript: I have not tried "Summon" or "Autopark" yet. (Honestly, I am a little scared to try them in my new car.) Quick story about Autopark, I test drove Model X in 2016. I clearly remember the salesperson, riding in the car as a passenger, greatly impressing me (the driver) with hands-free parallel parking five years ago (on surface streets near Dublin, California). And I can remember Mr. Musk at that time predicting that cars would soon be able to be summoned from your garage to pick you up in another city. I have to say I am disappointed that in some practical ways more significant progress on FSD has seemingly not been achieved since then, but the recent admission by Mr. Musk as to the challenge of self-driving is a telling remark.
2021 M3P = Model 3 Performance

so if we just bought the new subscription it shouldnt allow any navigate on autopilot around cities or suburbs at all then?
“Navigate on autopilot” is a specific term that currently refers only to highway driving, where it will take exits automatically to follow the navigation path. It will only make the automatic turns while on a highway.
When on “city streets” (which is Tesla’s term for anything that is not limited access highway), you can activate autopilot on most roads (except no residential without lines), but it will not make any turns onto another street. It can change lanes for you when you put on the turn signal on some 4 lane roads. It will not do anything on city streets based on whatever you have set in navigation. Not yet. Not until the wide release of “FSD Beta.”

not to mention that tesla, themselves, are their own worst enemy when it comes to hurting their own cars' resale values.... buying and holding a tesla seems like you already are 'behind' once a 3month period elapses and elon finds some new thing to change on the production line.

MEANWHILE, BACK IN REALITY-

Tesla Model 3 on pace to have best resale value of any car ever tested

Tesla Model 3 Three-Year Depreciation Is 10%: EV Industry Average Is 52%

Tesla Model 3 is leading the industry in value retention by barely losing any value after a year and half the depreciation rate as the second-best vehicle

Last edited:
Reactions: ahoen117
@EVNow of course if you included FSD in your 3 year lease that would only cost you ~$5k. (So it is cheaper to include FSD in your lease than it is to subscribe to FSD for the whole lease period.)
Assuming the residual value after 3 years is ~ 50% ? That is true (if we ignore financing costs).

So, good for leasing only if you want it for a few months or you didn't take FSD when you leased. So don't want to pay $10k for < 3years after leasing.

"3 months probably, 6 months definitely" was 54 months ago.
Nissan said they will have 5 EVs within a couple of years .... 10 years back. It wsn't even something that nobody had/has achieved ...

Elon said "“I think we will offer Full Self-Driving as a subscription service, but it will be probably towards the end of this year.” last year. The idea that it's just 1.5 months delayed is revisionist history. The code has been in the app since before April 2020. They have clearly been planning this tied to CSA for a very long time, it's just CSA is hyper delayed.

It's 1.5 months depending on what you quoted. You chose the quote, not me.

Besides, we know the idea was to introduce city NOA (a.k.a FSD) and subscription together. But city NOA kept getting delayed ... and they decided to offer subscription without waiting for FSD, finally.

Then, you won't get it for $200 a month.

An analogy would be a robot vacuum cleaner vs a generic (sci-fi) robot that acts as your butler. A sci-fi butler will cost a lot more than a robot vacuum cleaner.
By the time regulation even allows that level of self driving, many things will have affected the price.
#1 being competition, which will drive the cost down, not up.
#2 being inflation. While price might go up, youll have more worthless monopoly money to afford it with.

Tesla is up against the curve now, and not the only fish in the tank.

“Navigate on autopilot” is a specific term that currently refers only to highway driving, where it will take exits automatically to follow the navigation path. It will only make the automatic turns while on a highway.
When on “city streets” (which is Tesla’s term for anything that is not limited access highway), you can activate autopilot on most roads (except no residential without lines), but it will not make any turns onto another street. It can change lanes for you when you put on the turn signal on some 4 lane roads. It will not do anything on city streets based on whatever you have set in navigation. Not yet. Not until the wide release of “FSD Beta.”
ok thanks for the info. just tested on highway i95. navigate on autopilot is working there and as soon as it takes an exit it ends however im still confused about what im seeing on youtube with the screens that are showing colored lines (curbs) and the broken blue line in front of the car when people are driving on non highway roads and the car still making its own left and right turns onto different streets and seems to be fully navigating on its own to its destination without being on a highway. so far my screen hasnt shown any of that. many of these videos are uploaded recently. wondering if all of these users are using a different version like navigate on city streets beta trial or something as where the new subscription version is basically just enhanced auto pilot for now? my vehicle is a 2021 model 3 sr plus built in february. any thoughts?

The FSD subscription does not make you a beta tester. You will not get the FSD Beta. You will only get the current public features which are Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Park, Smart Summon, Auto Lane Change, and Traffic Light & Stop Sign Control.

We are all Beta testers for regular AP and the "release version" of FSD. What Tesla is calling Beta testers (Employee's that own Tesla's for the most part) are Alpha testers. My apologies if referring to us as Beta testers muddied the waters on the FSD subscription, I didn't mean to imply we would be getting the FSD Beta version of the software.

Keith

Last edited:
Sorry for my cut-to-the-chase reply here (because tl;dr) but:

1) the first Tesla (in my sig) already has EAP so to purchase/subscribe to FSD which, at this time, only adds stoplight/sign functionality is worth neither $10K nor $99/mo.

2) the second Tesla (wife's MYLR) is leased - IF we had the option to go back and edit the lease, FSD would add $126/mo. to the payment

3) if we had financed through Tesla, FSD would add $149/mo. to the payment

Just got up and no coffee yet so not sure where I'm going with this, but for those who still have the options open to them (unlike us already stuck in a lease) with this subscription being announced now, at least you can see some of the financial components involved here.

Actually, as smart as Elon is, he should now invoke some kind of lease/loan amendment program for those wanting to add the $10K FSD since there is something to compare it to now...and as I recall him stating earlier, buying FSD will seem cheap compared to the subscription price...

Ummm, get some Coffee STAT! If your wifes MY lease would only add 126 a month by adding 10,000 to the cost then the lease must be 80 months. On an average 36 month lease adding 10,000 to the cost would increase the monthly payment by $278.

Keith

PS: If the price of FSD is lower when you lease than it is when you purchase then ignore my entire post :) If this is the case, how much is it?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike