Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: FSD Subscription Available 16 Jul 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, my first post here.
I just subscribed for the monthly subscription for FSD few days ago, but I'm afraid I will be cancelling once the month is over. $199 doesn't justify how much I'll be using per month. Basically, I'm spending $199 for auto lane change on highways. I can't imagine some of the owner's frustration after spending $10k on a FSD package, or having to pay $1k for a HW upgrade... I'm not sure why some of you insist on a calculation of monthly subscriptions breaking point. That calculation is so far off. It's based on if YOU have the subscribe to it every month without any intermittence. I think offering Subscription was a bad move from Tesla. It's actually promoting the buyers not to get the full FSD package. I'm not sure how many of the owners are actually impressed with the performance of the FSD...

Love my 2020 Tesla 3 Basic Model with the only AP upgrade, but bit surprised how many gullible buyers that gets caught up on the "robotaxi" and fully operational FSD promise for the last 5 years.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but FSD (level 5) is years away from completion. HW 3 cannot handle the L5 FSD. Neither the current camera's on our Teslas. I'm hoping Tesla makes it right by offering some special incentives to those who've purchased FSD for $10K. By the way, one of my neighbor purchased full FSD package for 7K several years back listening to Elon Musk that it will be completed "soon". She passed away few weeks ago... :( Never even got to use it. She was planning to use it to drive her to the doctors office and back.

Im really having to rethink my FSD $10,000 option on my MY order. Originally my thoughts were:
A I'd never pay for a subscription - I don't like monthly payments.
B. looking at the many you tube videos that show FSD beta testers driving around town in the rain, at night, making unprotected left turns etc. with next to no interventions is compelling and that the button for FSD payees to turn it on was just around the corner.
C. considering B. above it would be good for resell.
D. the closer FSD comes to reality the price for either the subscription or the up front $10,000 would really sky rocket.

Now that y'all are telling me that previous up front FSD payers have to pay to get a new CPU installed in oder to have FSD .
And that even existing and new orders may wind up having to get yet another CPU upgrade before FSD can be fully operational.
Sellers will not recoup that much of their $10,000.

So for $10,000 what do I get right now? auto Lane change, off ramp and traffic light and stop sign recognition. Does it stop for traffic lights?
Maybe I'll know more before I have to take delivery.

IMHO I would definately cancel the FSD for $10K. I have S on order and cancelled the FSD after trying it out on my son's M3. It's years away from being completed. More research I do, less it makes sense to spend $10K. After listening to all they hype (mostly on youtube), and actually trying it out on my own, I'm just amazed by the fact that I was about to pull a trigger on a dream of FSD "beta" being completed soon.

Hi All, my first post here.
I just subscribed for the monthly subscription for FSD few days ago, but I'm afraid I will be cancelling once the month is over. $199 doesn't justify how much I'll be using per month. Basically, I'm spending $199 for auto lane change on highways. I can't imagine some of the owner's frustration after spending $10k on a FSD package, or having to pay $1k for a HW upgrade... I'm not sure why some of you insist on a calculation of monthly subscriptions breaking point. That calculation is so far off. It's based on if YOU have the subscribe to it every month without any intermittence. I think offering Subscription was a bad move from Tesla. It's actually promoting the buyers not to get the full FSD package. I'm not sure how many of the owners are actually impressed with the performance of the FSD...

Love my 2020 Tesla 3 Basic Model with the only AP upgrade, but bit surprised how many gullible buyers that gets caught up on the "robotaxi" and fully operational FSD promise for the last 5 years.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but FSD (level 5) is years away from completion. HW 3 cannot handle the L5 FSD. Neither the current camera's on our Teslas. I'm hoping Tesla makes it right by offering some special incentives to those who've purchased FSD for $10K. By the way, one of my neighbor purchased full FSD package for 7K several years back listening to Elon Musk that it will be completed "soon". She passed away few weeks ago... :( Never even got to use it. She was planning to use it to drive her to the doctors office and back.

I think your experience has or will represent the majority of people. In general, the auto industry is not used to "visionaries" like Elon Musk. The aspirational goals are awesome and I think Tesla and other automakers will eventually get there, I just think they should market these incremental advancements for what they are, driver assistance features. It is easy to get caught up in the hype and get buyers remorse when reality sets in. By the way, I still shake my head at the lack of Rear Cross Traffic Alert and the poor implementation of Blind Spot Monitoring in my Model 3 when you find these simple "useful" safety features work great on a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.

If Tesla would have just offered NoA a la carte for $1000-$1500, I probably would have bought it with the car but $10k for the only feature I want to use once in a while, no thanks.

They do.

Like, that's literally how they are described on the actual purchase page.

Again most folks "confused" about this appear to have not bothered reading the actual product description, which remains quite clear.
Product description has changed many times.

btw, current description is not “quite clear “ imo.

We know, that these features don’t work at the moment, but I don’t think, that it is “quite clear “ if you look at the page

6908707A-B502-4082-A72D-740FC0C884D4.png

Last edited:
Product description has changed many times.

And every single time it was clear the features are not autonomous presently.

The only thing that has really changed is what FUTURE NOT HERE YET features it has listed.

btw, current description is not “quite clear “ imo.

How is "FUTURE features" not clear that they are not PRESENT features?

Especially when on the actual purchase page it has always told you existing features are NOT autonomous?

What's unclear here?

fsdclear.jpg

We know, that these features don’t work at the moment, but I don’t think, that it is “quite clear “ if you look at the page

One of the problems is that the term "future" is too vague and allows Tesla to continue to over promise (hype) and under deliver. The future could be tomorrow, 10, 20, 30 years from now or even longer. Tesla should be forced to limit their feature “promises” to what is almost certain to be available during the average length of ownership of a new Tesla.....4 years? 5 years? If they can't do that, they shouldn't be saying anything at all.

One of the problems is that the term "future" is too vague and allows Tesla to continue to over promise (hype) and under deliver. The future could be tomorrow, 10, 20, 30 years from now or even longer. Tesla should be forced to limit their feature “promises” to what is almost certain to be available during the average length of ownership of a new Tesla.....4 years? 5 years? If they can't do that, they shouldn't be saying anything at all.
This is rampant in businesses promising things though, not just Tesla. How many Kickstarter projects have never delivered?

I'm curious here. Has anyone with HW 2.5 been able to get the subscription? I know you have to have HW3. But both in the app and on the website it tells me to subscribe I need HW3. Yet, I can't even successfully create a service request to even purchase HW3. I've been going back and forth with Tesla service and they tell me it has to be scheduled to install HW3 only through one of those sources. They can't do it on their end. So, has anyone here made an appointment for the HW3 upgrade for a subscription, and how?

"FRESNO, Calif. (FOX26) — A Fresno man now has thousands of dollars worth of damage to his Tesla after a new automated feature drove the car into a pole.
The man has been in contact with the company but so far it's denying any responsibility.
The new feature is part of a subscription program that came out a little more than a week ago.
This was only David Alford's second time using the feature after purchasing the subscription on July 16th."

So we're gonna see a lot more of this I guess.

And every single time it was clear the features are not autonomous presently.

The only thing that has really changed is what FUTURE NOT HERE YET features it has listed.

How is "FUTURE features" not clear that they are not PRESENT features?

Especially when on the actual purchase page it has always told you existing features are NOT autonomous?

What's unclear here?

View attachment 688329
That page is clear.

"FRESNO, Calif. (FOX26) — A Fresno man now has thousands of dollars worth of damage to his Tesla after a new automated feature drove the car into a pole.
The man has been in contact with the company but so far it's denying any responsibility.
The new feature is part of a subscription program that came out a little more than a week ago.
This was only David Alford's second time using the feature after purchasing the subscription on July 16th."

Positive spin: The $9,800 he saved will more than pay for that damage.

Mine went up a curb 2 weekends ago in an empty parking lot. Luckily it was just the rims and tires curbed. I have 8k FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

This happened years ago when summon came out.
Tesla Model S driver claims his car crashed into a trailer on its own, Tesla says 'Summon' was activated
Then again with smart summon:
Tesla's new Smart Summon feature sparks chaos for owners
Yes, there's usually a bunch of these incidents when a new group of owners get access to it, but it dies down as people get used it.

Last edited:
Mine went up a curb 2 weekends ago in an empty parking lot. Luckily it was just the rims and tires curbed. I have 8k FSD.

Sad to hear. I live in Europe so here it's nerfed to the point where it has no practical use, and doesn't work half the time with regular summon. Complete trash.

This happened years ago when summon came out.
Tesla Model S driver claims his car crashed into a trailer on its own, Tesla says 'Summon' was activated
Then again with smart summon:
Yes, there's usually a bunch of these incidents when a new group of owners get access to it, but it dies down as people get used it.

I just feel like this group will be bigger.

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
This is rampant in businesses promising things though, not just Tesla. How many Kickstarter projects have never delivered?

Most companies don't, and none should, market/sell existing products with promises of "future" (unspecified time frame) functionality or features for those products unless those functions/features are fairly certain to become available at least within an average ownership period.

If a company is stating that the product purchased will have the capability of doing XYZ in the future, it should be able to do so within a reasonable time frame (e.g., average ownership period) at no additional cost to the buyer (unless clearly specified otherwise).

If a company is unable/unwilling to fulfill those "future" promises in an acceptable time frame, some kind of refund should be provided. A "money back guarantee" of sorts.

Folks that paid for the option from the very beginning knew exactly what they were paying for. What they have continually communicated is you will have the hardware necessary for FSD (Tesla provided free HW3 upgrades) with details on current functionality supported with driver assistance. So, no one was gullible. In addition, the $10k price was a recent increase. The previous pricing was more in alignment with what you were getting as far as driver assistance goes. In addition, the subscription is more in alignment with them delivering software feature complete as L2 by end of year. I am sure as it gets closer to L5 the price will increase as it should.