Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Tesla Vision system for Model 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I misread? I thought it was said that cars made after April 27 were not equipped with radar already?

What was announced yesterday is in the first post of this thread that I moved your post to. Of note, it specifically states that in order to take delivery of a vehicle without radar, the person has to acknowledge it.

Reactions: pilotSteve
What was announced yesterday is in the first post of this thread that I moved your post to. Of note, it specifically states that in order to take delivery of a vehicle without radar, the person has to acknowledge it.
Perhaps just a long day at work so my brain is not registering. I was just reading that vehicles delivered in May will not use radar. We are almost through May already…But I see your point that owners started acknowledging abs agreeing before delivery so perhaps nobody has actually driven the Tesla vision only cars yet. Or…have they been? Lol okay I’ll just go back to lurking now

Perhaps just a long day at work so my brain is not registering. I was just reading that vehicles delivered in May will not use radar. We are almost through May already…But I see your point that owners started acknowledging abs agreeing before delivery so perhaps nobody has actually driven the Tesla vision only cars yet. Or…have they been? Lol okay I’ll just go back to lurking now

If they had, and they were on TMC, they likely would have posted in either this thread, or the one in the autopilot forum that I posted a link to.

Did I misread? I thought it was said that cars made after April 27 were not equipped with radar already?
The NHTSA officially downgraded Model 3 and Y (the column for Recommended Safety Technology=No) from that date: 4/27/201, so you didn't misread:

1622082596144-png.666680

Last edited:
I don't know that I'd put too much weight on the NHTSA downgrade. I'm pretty sure it just means that the tests that have been done have been invalidated and will be retested. Assuming they pass with the new setup Tesla will be upgraded again.

Reactions: mdsco
I don't know that I'd put too much weight on the NHTSA downgrade. I'm pretty sure it just means that the tests that have been done have been invalidated and will be retested. Assuming they pass with the new setup Tesla will be upgraded again.
Agreed, but considering that this could impact Tesla customers financially in the meantime… it would have been nice for Tesla to have gotten those certifications before changing everything with no notice to anyone.

In the end, I have faith that it’ll all be fine, but I can understand people not being happy with how this was all done.

So because he saw that the current version is only for HW3 that means Tesla will never release a version for HW2/2.5? Wow, I had no idea that he knew Tesla's future plans.
Tesla cannot detect a stop sign, traffic light, speed limit sign, or trash can on HW2/2.5, nor execute any kind of FSD beta. They can't even do a dashcam on HW2.

Why do you think that they will be able to do enough vision processing on this hardware to move to "pure vision" autopilot, and why is that processing easier than basic classification tasks?

• Love
Reactions: silenteski
Sorry, but “assuming they pass” for critical safety functions like AEB will difficult to overcome for many potential buyers. I am one of those. My son has an M3, fantastic car, I’ve driven it. But frankly speaking, it appears Elon is willing to risk the health of his customers only because he cannot currently receive the radar units. I believe that is a very risky bet on safety.