Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity cost $9.99/month for many Model 3 versions

Will you subscribe to premium connectivity?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if standard navigation still estimates arrival/travel time based on traffic or if it truly just estimates your route travel time without traffic adjustments because the visuals are gone?

Standard Connectivity still considers traffic while calculating routes/travel time, and can reroute if traffic gets worse. You just can not visualize it.

My premium service is officially gone as of today. So, I set up my WiFi hotspot through my phone and some observations:

1. You have to enable the in car WiFi and connect to your hotspot each time before you drive. Not too bad but can become annoying and repetitive.

2. No satellite maps even when connected to WiFi hotspot. Only selection I get is the ability to select supercharger locations. Not a big deal because I never used sat maps.

3. No traffic visualization when connected to WiFi hotspot. I thought this was supposed to work when connected to WiFi hotspot?

4. Slacker works with WiFi hotspot. Although, haven’t been able to determine which version it is (free or plus). I assume Spotify would also work as well.

So, at this point (for me anyway) I’m not going to subscribe to premium connectivity. As long as I can connect with my phone’s WiFi hotspot I don’t see any value in it for me. I don’t watch YouTube videos or use the on screen internet browser (haven’t tested to see if those would work with the hotspot). For other’s there may be some value to a premium subscription but at this point, unless they add features such as viewing sentry clips etc., I’ll stick with my WiFi hotspot.

1. You have to enable the in car WiFi and connect to your hotspot each time before you drive. Not too bad but can become annoying and repetitive.
98% of the reason I just sucked it up and gave them my money. I did it mainly for the streaming and even then I don't use it that often.

Their evil ploy worked: gave me the free sample to get me hooked.

I will be curious to see what the overall subscriber numbers look like for premium connectivity. The only thing I’m missing after being switched off of premium connectivity is the real-time traffic visualization and maybe satellite map tiles from time to time.

The monthly subscription charge doesn’t feel right. If I subscribed to show real-time traffic, am I going to feel like cancelling it the next month, like I would with Netflix when I’m done binge-watching a series? I feel like “premium maps” (traffic and satellite maps) should be an upgrade option with a one-time fee. Is Tesla charging for maps features because of a higher Google Maps API fee?

As for the rest of premium connectivity, I don’t use it. I play music from my iPhone sitting on its Qi charging pad. And I’m thinking that if I really care about traffic visualization on any given trip, I will just have google maps running on the phone display.

For now, I will not be subscribing.

PS: maybe SpaceX can get into the satellite map business and provide cheap maps for Tesla?

Also curious if China-made and destined Teslas have the same premium connectivity fee or even use Google Maps?

So, at this point (for me anyway) I’m not going to subscribe to premium connectivity and using a hotspot. As long as I can connect with my phone’s WiFi hotspot I don’t see any value in it for me. I don’t watch YouTube videos or use the on screen internet browser (haven’t tested to see if those would work with the hotspot). For other’s there may be some value to a premium subscription but at this point, unless they add features such as viewing sentry clips etc., I’ll stick with my WiFi hotspot.

I’m also in the camp of not paying for premium connectivity. Now that I’ve gone through the steps of using my phone hotspot for a few days, it’s really not much of an annoyance at all (to me).

That said, I was thinking on the drive home today, not only is Tesla recuperating costs for data usage from owners (who are paying the subscription), many of us who are not paying are probably using a hotspot, which in essence zeroes out any data usage by the car itself, reducing Tesla’s costs even more.

well played Tesla, well played...

My Premium Connectivity expired yesterday, so I signed up for the monthly fee. What nobody seems to be able to answer is whether Slacker (Streaming icon) or TuneIn, will remain free, by using a built-in Tesla account.

After getting my services back, both Slacker and TuneIn work just as they always have, and with no additional ads. Hopefully it will remain this way as tacking on subscriptions on top fo the $10 month would tip the balance to the other side for me (= no sub).

Last edited:
My premium service is officially gone as of today. So, I set up my WiFi hotspot through my phone and some observations:

2. No satellite maps even when connected to WiFi hotspot. Only selection I get is the ability to select supercharger locations. Not a big deal because I never used sat maps.

3. No traffic visualization when connected to WiFi hotspot. I thought this was supposed to work when connected to WiFi hotspot?

4. Slacker works with WiFi hotspot. Although, haven’t been able to determine which version it is (free or plus). I assume Spotify would also work as well.

So, at this point (for me anyway) I’m not going to subscribe to premium connectivity. As long as I can connect with my phone’s WiFi hotspot I don’t see any value in it for me. I don’t watch YouTube videos or use the on screen internet browser (haven’t tested to see if those would work with the hotspot). For other’s there may be some value to a premium subscription but at this point, unless they add features such as viewing sentry clips etc., I’ll stick with my WiFi hotspot.
Yea I’ll just pay 10 bucks a month not to have to deal with all that. That’s like what, two trips to Starbucks?

Reactions: Kentrock1
I let my Prem Conn expire, and have been using my iPhone as a hotspot. So far so good. No issues. If it becomes annoying, I'll subscribe. I thought turning on the hotspot might be annoying, but you just set it up once, and then you set up your Control Center on your iPhone, and then you only need to pull down on the screen, and access CC, and turn it on. Easy peasy.

I let my Prem Conn expire, and have been using my iPhone as a hotspot. So far so good. No issues. If it becomes annoying, I'll subscribe. I thought turning on the hotspot might be annoying, but you just set it up once, and then you set up your Control Center on your iPhone, and then you only need to pull down on the screen, and access CC, and turn it on. Easy peasy.

Doesn’t the car disconnect from wifi once you put it in drive? Or is everyone manually connecting to wifi after taking it out of park. At least that’s what happens on my car. When I’m in the garage...as soon as I put the car in reverse or drive...it disconnects from my home wifi and switches to lte. Would be a pain to connect it to wifi every time I start to drive. Plus I want the live traffic updates.

Doesn’t the car disconnect from wifi once you put it in drive? Or is everyone manually connecting to wifi after taking it out of park. At least that’s what happens on my car. When I’m in the garage...as soon as I put the car in reverse or drive...it disconnects from my home wifi and switches to lte. Would be a pain to connect it to wifi every time I start to drive. Plus I want the live traffic updates.
You have to reconnect each drive. Place in D and place foot on brake to Hold. You get traffic routing without premium but just not the visuals.

So my wife’s also in the needs premium connectivity column, so I got busy today trying to track down how to obtain it. Per “chat” on the Tesla site, you’ll be able to order it in the “shop” section after you log in. “Chat” said it wouldn’t be up for a few days...(starting today 1/9/2020).