Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, Efficiency, How to Maintain Battery Health

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@OneOhEd 449km for 90% is pretty normal, I have it to.
See more dutch owners numbers here: Typical Range bij 90% laden

Yup - that's what I got from day 1. Unfortunately now I get about 440 and it usually drop to 438 when I enter the car (or very briefly after). Then I loose more km's no matter how gently I drive. I simply cannot believe this is regular behaviour.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

Yup - that's what I got from day 1. Unfortunately now I get about 440 and it usually drop to 438 when I enter the car (or very briefly after). Then I loose more km's no matter how gently I drive. I simply cannot believe this is regular behaviour.

Thanks for the link - I'll check it out.

I have a Model 3 performance. I commute approximately 40 miles back and forth to work every day. I take a different path home than to work. going to work . i have had usage as low as 195. Going home, my usage has never been below 275. What gives? Well, going to work is "generally" downhill, and going home is obviously "generally" up hill.

I also noticed a MUCH larger usage of energy when it was raining... like MUCH more. All of these things effect gas cars too but since people have all this data on their BEVs and focus on the mileage number, it seems like more.

Reading the list of complaints you put there, I would imagine that tesla could address a few of them, but would not be able to address others... and depending on how you approached them, they may have just decided that you would not be happy and stopped trying to help you. Note, I am not blaming you or anything... it might sound like that but I am not. I am just saying that, as a person who has spent a lifetime in one form of customer service (or customer service management), anyone who has ever had to "help customers" for a living understands there are sometimes people you will not be able to make happy.

Heck, you mention you are a consultant. I am sure in your job, there are some customers you have come across that you consider "unreasonable". I am sure THEY dont consider themselves unreasonable, but I would imagine that if you have spent any time at all as a consultant, you came across customers you either considered unreasonable or "fired" as your clients, because no matter what you did they were not happy. Some of their complaints might have been valid, but either they were not delivered in a respectful manner, or they were mixed in with other things you KNEW there was nothing you could do about... and you also KNEW that they were not going to let you fix the things you could fix, and ignore the things you couldnt.

My advice to you would be to focus on the things that they might be able to address (brake noise, paint defects) and let go things they will be able to do NOTHING about (small mileage loss, complaints about "losing too much KMs when driving gently"). There are waaay too many factors that drive how much energy the car uses to get moving... road surface, topology, wind, acceleration, etc.. they will be able to do nothing about that, and if you focus on that, you will get nowhere AND get your real complaints ignored.

#unsolicitedadviceover

Reactions: PACEMD and gecko10x
Mine took another dive. Charged it to 100% from 10% twice with no effect at recalibrating.

A0E0DFC0-943C-44E7-AC11-A9FCF6208398.jpeg

I have a Model 3 performance. I commute approximately 40 miles back and forth to work every day. I take a different path home than to work. going to work . i have had usage as low as 195. Going home, my usage has never been below 275. What gives? Well, going to work is "generally" downhill, and going home is obviously "generally" up hill.

I also noticed a MUCH larger usage of energy when it was raining... like MUCH more. All of these things effect gas cars too but since people have all this data on their BEVs and focus on the mileage number, it seems like more.

Reading the list of complaints you put there, I would imagine that tesla could address a few of them, but would not be able to address others... and depending on how you approached them, they may have just decided that you would not be happy and stopped trying to help you. Note, I am not blaming you or anything... it might sound like that but I am not. I am just saying that, as a person who has spent a lifetime in one form of customer service (or customer service management), anyone who has ever had to "help customers" for a living understands there are sometimes people you will not be able to make happy.

Heck, you mention you are a consultant. I am sure in your job, there are some customers you have come across that you consider "unreasonable". I am sure THEY dont consider themselves unreasonable, but I would imagine that if you have spent any time at all as a consultant, you came across customers you either considered unreasonable or "fired" as your clients, because no matter what you did they were not happy. Some of their complaints might have been valid, but either they were not delivered in a respectful manner, or they were mixed in with other things you KNEW there was nothing you could do about... and you also KNEW that they were not going to let you fix the things you could fix, and ignore the things you couldnt.

My advice to you would be to focus on the things that they might be able to address (brake noise, paint defects) and let go things they will be able to do NOTHING about (small mileage loss, complaints about "losing too much KMs when driving gently"). There are waaay too many factors that drive how much energy the car uses to get moving... road surface, topology, wind, acceleration, etc.. they will be able to do nothing about that, and if you focus on that, you will get nowhere AND get your real complaints ignored.

#unsolicitedadviceover

Yes - I know what you mean. And indeed - I have 15+ years of consulting experience. But believe me when I tell you that I am VERY polite and respectful in my approach to Tesla. But after 6 months of this hassle (and having completely missed that 'so happy with my new car' feeling) and having seen no results at all despite all the promises made to me (and Tesla having had the car for 1,5 weeks already) I am spent. I have no faith in them what so every - but I HAVE to try the route again. Albeit I would prefer to use a different SeC - but the only one in Holland with a 'better than bad' service reputation is a 2 hr drive away. That means taking a whole day off to get it there and possible the same for pickup. I simply don't have the time.

Also - the battery issue was not my original set of complaints. It is (relatively) new and didn't comprise my original set of issues with the car.

Again - I am always polite. I accept almost everything and make do with it - but in this case - my god this has leached a lot of energy. Do you have any idea how often Tesla has made promises (such as - I will call you back in 2 weeks). NONE (litterally NONE) of those promises have been followed up. They couldn't even be bothered to charge my car when I went to pick it up the first time round despite my having noticed this in the app and spending over 40 minutes in two phonecalls to them to ask them to do so. Oh and they provided me with a loaner that wouldn't charge (an old S75). They never solved that for me either and caused me much grief. It even had food leftovers inside it. Foul....

Sorry - it's bad... it's REALLY bad

I also have an AWD. My lowest so far is about 256. But it's been hitting 260 for the past week or two...

10% range loss seems pretty catastrophic for one year of regular driving. @StellarRat I specifically bought a Tesla because they are supposed to have the best battery longevity.

I guess I will run it down to 10% a couple of times and back up to 90 then do a full charge and see what it shows.

I don't charge it every day and charge it at work for 2-4 hours every 2-3 days to take it back to 80-90%, perhaps the cells are unbalanced.

Unintended BMS calibration for my 3D: went down to 56 miles left due to not charging for a couple of days.
So did a 100% charge last night & got 307 miles this AM.
Had been getting 244 @ 80% or theoretically 305 miles @ 100%.

Car is 6 months old with 8300 miles.

So does that mean I loss or gain anything? Nah!

10% range loss seems pretty catastrophic for one year of regular driving. @StellarRat I specifically bought a Tesla because they are supposed to have the best battery longevity.

I guess I will run it down to 10% a couple of times and back up to 90 then do a full charge and see what it shows.

I don't charge it every day and charge it at work for 2-4 hours every 2-3 days to take it back to 80-90%, perhaps the cells are unbalanced.

One constant in almost all of these threads is that, for the most part, people who "dont charge every day" show some rated range loss. I can only go by my own experience, in which I plug in every time my car hits my garage, and charge to 90%, and do not have a single mile of rated range loss. Its still 279 on my model 3P, and this is after 13.5k miles and 9 ish months..

also it does not appear that the "run it down and charge it back to 100" works as much as "set charge percentage to 90%. plug in every day, and do that for a week and then check), does.

• Love
Reactions: Tron 3 and dmurphy
I can only go by my own experience, in which I plug in every time my car hits my garage, and charge to 90%, and do not have a single mile of rated range loss. Its still 279 on my model 3P, and this is after 13.5k miles and 9 ish months..

Funny you say that .... I charge *exactly* the same way (set it and forget it @ 90%). Today is my 5-monthaversary, with 6,363 miles, and I'm still waiting on the doom & gloom to set in. That's what all the arm chair experts told me would happen by now ...

IMG_3656.PNG

Reactions: KenC
One constant in almost all of these threads is that, for the most part, people who "dont charge every day" show some rated range loss. I can only go by my own experience, in which I plug in every time my car hits my garage, and charge to 90%, and do not have a single mile of rated range loss. Its still 279 on my model 3P, and this is after 13.5k miles and 9 ish months..

also it does not appear that the "run it down and charge it back to 100" works as much as "set charge percentage to 90%. plug in every day, and do that for a week and then check), does.

I got my car in October 2018 and had 0 range loss at 22k miles in June 2019. Since then I now have 7-8% loss at 26k miles.

Edit: I have long range AWD.

Please remember that temperature affects the charge numbers. I've noticed more than a 15 mile difference since fall has arrived. It went down right in sync with the night time temperatures dropping about 20 degrees.

In my case I experienced 0 loss all winter with temperatures well below freezing and all my losses were in summer at peak temperature. Temperatures are just now starting to drop and I've recovered 1 or 1.5% since my low a couple of weeks ago.

In my case I experienced 0 loss all winter with temperatures well below freezing and all my losses were in summer at peak temperature. Temperatures are just now starting to drop and I've recovered 1 or 1.5% since my low a couple of weeks ago.
Mine have dropped at the start of Fall two years running now and then come back in the summer. The thing is that my car is done charging by about 11 or 12 at night but that is not the coldest part of the evening, so by early morning what was once a 227 mile charge is down to 221 miles (roughly) because the battery has cooled further. In the summer the opposite happens, the car is cooler at night and as the air warms in early morning the range increases slightly. My 227 mile charge is 236 miles by morning.

Last edited:
Mine have dropped at the start of Fall two years running now and then come back in the summer. The thing is that my car is done charging by about 11 or 12 at night but that is not the coldest part of the evening, so by early morning what was once a 227 mile charge is down to 221 miles (roughly) because the battery has cooled further. In the summer the opposite happens, the car is cooler at night and as the air warms in early morning the range increases slightly. My 227 mile charge is 236 miles by morning.

I check right when charging finishes. So I'm not counting the drop due to cold at all in my calculations. I'm measuring right when charging finishes with teslafi. Winter doesn't affect that as battery is usually warm by the time charging is done. I did notice the drop in the morning you mention with the snowflake icon and blue portion of the battery on coldest days on the in car touchscreen.

well I am able to charge for free at work which saves me probably $50-$75 a month which is why I do it.
I’d be willing to just keep the car charged at home to 90% for a week or two to test but was under the impression that the battery needed to be run down to rebalance the cells and help the bms

For those who want to really pamper their Model 3, this article form Battery University is a really good read.
Lithium-based Batteries Information

Do note that Elon himself said that if you want the battery to last the longest, charge to 80% instead of 90%.
Elon Musk on Twitter
(although the tweet was from 2014)

The Tesla batteries might have better chemistry than the batteries being tested by Battery University, you might not have to charge at 70 or 80% for longevity, but for the past year and a half I never had a day where I said "gee, I wish I charged the car to 90%". So I'm still sticking to my 75% regiment. Another factor is how low you bring your battery down. The least amount of drain between charges, the better. So that's something else to keep in mind.

I charge my car at 75% since April 2018. First day the car would charge to 230 miles, and today the car still charge to 230 miles. I have no idea why it doesn't fluctuate, but I did take a couple of road trips recently.

Reactions: KenC