Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i just started having issues with this exact same usb drive. Plugged it into my pc and sure enough the performance was terrible and getting errors. The drive is failing. I’m going to contact SanDisk for a replacement as it’s only 4 months old.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the Sandisk Micro SD card. I bought mine on Amazon, and there were a lot of reviews saying they got counterfeit SD cards and they were not within specs.

Mine was not an SDC it was a true thumb drive that works with iPhones (lightening port). I just got off a chat with Amazon and they are refunding me for the product. Which is super cool since i bought it a while ago. I’m going to then just get what Dan203 suggested.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01JHE501I?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I use this one. 128GB and 15MB write speed (and much higher read speed). It's been working since October (about 800 hours of use, I don't generally use sentry mode). 16gb for dashcam and the rest for music (which I rarely use, mostly streaming unless internet goes out).
It’s been working since October? You mean like now or last October. Max of 10 days of working good isn’t that impressive or helpful.

The last valid (playable on QuickTime) Sentry Cam files on my USB drive are October 4, 2019. Files created after October 4 won't play.

Anyone else have dates that correspond to mine? Was there a Tesla software update on October 5?

Two things to check:
1) File size (if file size is 0 or very small, probably corrupt files)
2) Other media player like vlc (the video codec has at least once change from h.265 to h.264 on HW3 cars, they may have switched it back and might not be compatible with some playback software).

I have same one..

Worked fine first 2 months and then started getting the drive too slow error. Has been off and on since last update... Will sometimes have several days with no issue and then several days where the issue is persistent..
That’s disappointing to hear. Good so far here, even now on V10 with four video feeds. Going on a road trip tomorrow; that’ll stress test it!

Further to my earlier post regarding the playback of Tesla Cam footage from a Samsung T5 SSD on an iPhone, I tried the Apple USB C plugged into the SSD drive to Lightning cable plugged into the phone but this also did not work. Have to conclude at this point that there is insufficient power coming from the iPhone to power an SSD drive and an additional power adapter like this one is needed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_mWOODbNYDWMJF

You can use one of the rear USB power sources in the M3 to power this adaptor with a USB to lightning cable. However, this set up is pretty cumbersome (not to mention the power adaptor is another $40 expense). Is an additional power supply required if your using micro SD and wish to view the footage on your iPhone or can the micro SD be plugged directly into the iPhone?