Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Micro SD card reader/adaptor comes with a free iOS app that allows you to view the dashcam videos on an iPhone.

The 256 GB Micro SD card I'm using was the only one I had. I started with a regular 32 GB flash drive, but when Sentry Mode first came out, it was filling the drive quickly with videos of Sentry events for people walking by the car while it was parked. I don't seem to have this issue anymore with the later updates..
Thanks fo the information, I just went to a Samsung SSD and it seems to work fine, sure I can't look at the videos without a computer, hoping Elon will allow you to view via the control center. Can you hear me Elon

Thanks fo the information, I just went to a Samsung SSD and it seems to work fine, sure I can't look at the videos without a computer, hoping Elon will allow you to view via the control center. Can you hear me Elon

Refer to my earlier post below if you want to view the video from a Samsung T5 SSD using an iPhone.

"Further to my earlier post regarding the playback of Tesla Cam footage from a Samsung T5 SSD on an iPhone, I tried the Apple USB C plugged into the SSD drive to Lightning cable plugged into the phone but this also did not work. Have to conclude at this point that there is insufficient power coming from the iPhone to power an SSD drive and an additional power adapter like this one is needed:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7KJDIM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_mWOODbNYDWMJF

You can use one of the rear USB power sources in the M3 to power this adaptor with a USB to lightning cable. However, this set up is pretty cumbersome (not to mention the power adaptor is another $40 expense). Is an additional power supply required if your using micro SD and wish to view the footage on your iPhone or can the micro SD be plugged directly into the iPhone?

It's really disappointing that no one seems to have received any word from Tesla. Why can't they simply confirm it's a software bug and save us all a whole bunch of time and frustration. I am so very happy and impressed with the engineering of these vehicles. I just wish the company would share a bit more information.

Reactions: MrABRanch
My solution:
samsung ssd t5, 500 gb for sentry/dashcam. USB c cable to connect to an android phone to view if there are any sentry clips or on macbook for dashcam clips works fine on both. On android phone use VLC player to view the videos.

I've been using the recommended SanDisk 128GB High Endurance microSD with SanDisk MobileMate USB adapter for about a week with no problems to report so far. No red exclamation mark and music has played without issue as well.

I've got it configured with a 32GB ext4 partition for TeslaCam and the rest as a FAT32 partition for music. Both partitions were created with Ubuntu 18.04 and the TeslaCam partition is working fine. I didn't have any luck with my Tesla recognizing an ext4 music partition though... the USB icon doesn't show up in the source list.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 4 of those Samsung drives in 2 M3s running 12.2. They worked great for months. Now all 4 are getting the same speed error and are not usable. I'm consider a switch to a SATA SSD. I truly hope you have better luck.
Same with me. I used the 128GB version of the Samsung Fit Plus for many months with no problems and then started getting errors after a Tesla update a while back. I tried reformatting it in different ways but the problem continued daily. I switched to this combo last week and not a single error so far so fingers crossed:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NY23WBG/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5JV2B5/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: MrABRanch and jdw
Same with me. I used the 128GB version of the Samsung Fit Plus for many months with no problems and then started getting errors after a Tesla update a while back. I tried reformatting it in different ways but the problem continued daily. I switched to this combo last week and not a single error so far so fingers crossed:

I've been using these for the past four months without issue.

Reactions: superblast
The point is that we shouldn’t have to do this at all!

this thread shouldn’t event be a topic....

Tesla should provide a list of approved and tested drives that are supported.
Also, there’s no guarantee that any of the ‘solutions’ in this thread actually solve the problem. I’m still using a USB drive and I can go upwards of a week or more before the error occurs again.

Reactions: superblast

Sure they could, but then they would need to keep up with any changes made to those drives and continually test them. I do think they could publish some minimum requirements that a drive should meet. Although as mentioned, people will still have problems as it seems most drives should be able to handle the amount of data being written.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cnasty and GuyDude
Sure they could, but then they would need to keep up with any changes made to those drives and continually test them. I do think they could publish some minimum requirements that a drive should meet. Although as mentioned, people will still have problems as it seems most drives should be able to handle the amount of data being written.

E3DF92B2-D7E4-4F06-AB1A-46E57EC6B2A8.jpeg

I’m pretty sure most USB sticks are faster than 4 MB/s. I’ve been using the same USB stick since I bought the car and I’m getting this problem after the version 10 upgrade.

Also, curious as to why they have a service appointment option.

Since this is a software, not hardware, issue, that would make no sense to do.

Sure they could, but then they would need to keep up with any changes made to those drives and continually test them. I do think they could publish some minimum requirements that a drive should meet.

They do. 4 megs a second (which is twice the actual speed the cameras are writing at FWIW)

Which virtually any drive, including tons of ones that some people have issues with, can do easily.

Because it's a software problem, not hardware.

If it was hardware you wouldn't have people with the same HW both having and not having it depending on SW version.