Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: USB drives that work with Sentry and TeslaCam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
High Endurance SD cards are overkill and a waste of money.
The Max Endurance ones maybe, but High Endurance cards don't cost significantly more money vs a card of the same speed class (U3 or V30).

For example you can get a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance microSD for $22:
SanDisk® High Endurance microSD™ Card | Western Digital Store
A 128GB Samsung Evo Select is $20:
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Select-microSDXC-Adapter-MB-ME128HA/dp/B0887GP791/
A slower 128GB Sandisk Ultra actually costs more at $23:
SanDisk Ultra® microSD | Western Digital Store

The latest manual 2020.44 still has conflicting information on supported formats, so I formatted to FAT32 just in case (I'm using a SanDisk High Endurance microSD card now with a card reader), which I know for certain works everywhere (true of even my other devices like security cameras).

Page 135:
NOTE: Media Player supports USB flash drives with FAT32 formatting (NTFS and exFAT are not currently supported).

No contradiction at all... what you quote there is for the media player to play music files- not dashcam to record video.

Dashcam takes the formats I quoted above (which is from page 75 in the same manual)

The Max Endurance ones maybe, but High Endurance cards don't cost significantly more money vs a card of the same speed class (U3 or V30).

For example you can get a 128GB Sandisk High Endurance microSD for $22:
SanDisk® High Endurance microSD™ Card | Western Digital Store
A 128GB Samsung Evo Select is $20:
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Select-microSDXC-Adapter-MB-ME128HA/dp/B0887GP791/
A slower 128GB Sandisk Ultra actually costs more at $23:
SanDisk Ultra® microSD | Western Digital Store

You forgot to add the cost of the SD->USB adapter.

Which also acts as an additional point of failure (and indeed a number of folks have had such converters fail on em in threads here).

Again given how (relatively) little data is written, a quality 128GB USB stick is likely to outlast the average ownership time of the vehicle.

You forgot to add the cost of the SD->USB adapter.

Which also acts as an additional point of failure (and indeed a number of folks have had such converters fail on em in threads here).
The tiny Sandisk Mobilemate that most people buy only costs $12 if they don't have one already. I did read about that one getting hot from the port and failing likely due to the heat, so I bought the Ugreen two slot one I linked previously (also $12) that is bigger and has a cable that hopefully will isolate it from the port (and have more surface area overall to dissipate any heat).

Again given how (relatively) little data is written, a quality 128GB USB stick is likely to outlast the average ownership time of the vehicle.
Not from what I've read in other threads. People seem to be killing USB sticks in short order due to the constant writing to the drive which is necessary to have the loop recording. Not hard to find people with issues in a couple of months even with the better Samsung drives Tesla recommends or includes with the car.
Not hard to find even in this thread:
USB Too Slow -TeslaCam
Recommended USB drive for dashcam

From the reviews posted for the Samsung BAR Plus (the drive the Tesla branded one is based on), it's not hard to find ones that failed in 5-6 months of Sentry usage even for the larger 128GB version.
Amazon.com
Most of the USB sticks use TLC (from what I can find this is true of the Samsungs also), but none of the USB sticks give any cycle rating. It's telling however that the warranty excludes using them in dash cams or any write intensive applications:
"Warranties provided herein do not extend to any use of the product for or with continuous recording instruments or any other write-intensive devices, including without limitation security cameras, surveillance systems, dashboard cameras, black box cameras, internet protocol/network cameras, continuous recording set top box devices, continuous data logging devices like servers, dedicated devices for benchmarking tests, or the primary drive for certain devices, and any other excessive use(s)."
Samsung

Haven't checked myself, but this says TeslaCam is writing about 7GB/hr, so 1 cycle every 18 hours even on a larger 128GB stick.
Info: TeslaCam Sentry mode: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB or 128GB…

The SanDisk High Endurance rates 10k hours of FHD video for the 128GB card, which from the box they define as 26 Mbps (3.25 MB/s) video or 11,700 MB per hour. Works out for 10.9 hours per cycle or 914 write cycles. Using the TeslaCam that works out more like 16,450 hours of endurance. Although the warranty is only two years (and I probably won't bother to claim), it's at least designed explicitly for dashcam usage.
"The warranty exclusions set forth in points (ii)-(vii) above do not apply to the following: SanDisk High Endurance Video Monitoring microSD Cards located here."
https://documents.westerndigital.co...ty/2016/English-APAC-Warranty-Translation.pdf

The extra $12 is worth it to me to get a card reader I can use elsewhere also, plus the fact I can take the microSD card out and just put it into my phone without having to use a OTG cable (if using USB drive instead), and given the one I bought has an extra SD card slot, I can use that for music without taking up another USB socket or having to share a card with TeslaCam. Personally, I had the card already anyways from spares I bought for my home security cams.

Last edited:
The tiny Sandisk Mobilemate that most people buy only costs $12 if they don't have one already. I did read about that one getting hot from the port and failing likely due to the heat, so I bought the Ugreen two slot one I linked previously (also $12) that is bigger and has a cable that hopefully will isolate it from the port (and have more surface area overall to dissipate any heat).

Ok, but that's still a >50% price increase of the prices you quoted.

Not from what I've read in other threads. People seem to be killing USB sticks in short order due to the constant writing to the drive which is necessary to have the loop recording. Not hard to find people with issues in a couple of months even with the better Samsung drives Tesla recommends or includes with the car.
Not hard to find even in this thread:
USB Too Slow -TeslaCam
Recommended USB drive for dashcam

I can also find you threads of people whose SDcards failed too.

And their SD readers, as I say, extra point of failure.

There's even folks who've had issues with SSDs.

Bad hardware happens.

From the reviews posted for the Samsung BAR Plus (the drive the Tesla branded one is based on), it's not hard to find ones that failed in 5-6 months of Sentry usage even for the larger 128GB version.
Amazon.com
Most of the USB sticks use TLC (from what I can find this is true of the Samsungs also), but none of the USB sticks give any cycle rating. It's telling however that the warranty excludes using them in dash cams or any write intensive applications:

You realize the warranty on many of the SDcards also void the warranty when used for dashcam right?

Mainly they do so because they are assuming multiple-4k cameras recording to them, a MUCH higher amount of usage than Tesla requires.

And usually offer much shorter warranties either way (2 years for the Sandisk vs 5 years on the Samsung USB for example).

Haven't checked myself, but this says TeslaCam is writing about 7GB/hr, so 1 cycle every 18 hours even on a larger 128GB stick.
Info: TeslaCam Sentry mode: 16GB, 32GB, 64GB or 128GB…

Yes, if you're running sentry/dashcam 24/7/365, which most people are not.

But let's finish out the math there.

That's 487 cycles per year.

6 months would only be 244 cycles.

Even 3D Nand TLC is typically rated for [B}thousands[/B] of cycles.... which should be many years of use before you wear them out.

People with quality USB drives dying in 6 months aren't wearing them out. They got bad (or counterfit) drives.

Now if you only run sentry/dashcam say 10 hours a day which is more typical (driving, plus 8 hours parked at work) you're talking like a decade to wear a good USB stick out.

The SanDisk High Endurance rates 10k hours of FHD video for the 128GB card, which from the box they define as 26 Mbps (3.25 MB/s) video or 11,700 MB per hour. Works out for 10.9 hours per cycle or 914 write cycles

Which again, is lower than the low end rated lifecycle of 3D Nand TLC flash memory

SDcards don't have 'magic' flash in em... you can find the same stuff in USB sticks.

The extra $12 is worth it to me to get a card reader I can use elsewhere

You're saying you'd pull out the reader (leaving your car unable to record), pop out the flash card specifically meant for the car, and use it someplace else... with...some other SD card I guess that you need to connect as USB storage?

Because if you needed USB storage, the stick just does it directly.

So again it seems like that's the same thing with extra steps.

also, plus the fact I can take the microSD card out and just put it into my phone without having to use a OTG cable (if using USB drive instead), and given the one I bought has an extra SD card slot, I can use that for music without taking up another USB socket or having to share a card with TeslaCam. Personally, I had the card already anyways from spares I bought for my home security cams.

The phone issue is certainly a valid use use if your phone has an SD slot (that seems to be getting rarer, and obviously doesn't apply to Apple folks at all) and have some need to move the data to your phone.... (since the local viewer was added I haven't seen a need for this personally).

Myself I use navak splitters so I've got plenty of ports in the car without sharing music and dashcam on the same storage.

He even has one that provides an SDcard slot if you really prefer to stick with that (while also offering you 2 USB ports for say a music stick and a game controller port)

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Another thing to think about: you will usually only read people's complaints & problems. If someone's USB stick is working great, they aren't going to search out a thread to post how things are going. Yes, you will read more complaints about USB sticks because it is a logical assumption that most people use USB sticks for music and cam. For myself, I had a pair of SanDisk Cruzer 256 GB Flash Drives for about 18 months that worked flawlessly but I started running out of room for music on the one. I picked up a 1TB Samsung T5 and decided to partition to two 500GB partitions (one for music, one for cam) just to do something different.

Myself I use navak splitters so I've got plenty of ports in the car without sharing music and dashcam on the same storage.

He even has one that provides an SDcard slot if you really prefer to stick with that (while also offering you 2 USB ports for say a music stick and a game controller port)
I wonder if he's coming up with a USB C option for the newer cars?

Reactions: adayley
Ok, but that's still a >50% price increase of the prices you quoted.
Sure, but my point was more that High Endurance microSDs don't cost significantly more than regular microSDs. The bit about the card reader was only a side point since you brought it up (and overall the absolute cost is so low it's not really a big deal in terms of accessory cost).
I can also find you threads of people whose SDcards failed too.

And their SD readers, as I say, extra point of failure.

There's even folks who've had issues with SSDs.

Bad hardware happens.

You realize the warranty on many of the SDcards also void the warranty when used for dashcam right?

Mainly they do so because they are assuming multiple-4k cameras recording to them, a MUCH higher amount of usage than Tesla requires.

And usually offer much shorter warranties either way (2 years for the Sandisk vs 5 years on the Samsung USB for example).
I'm well aware of all what you say above (including counterfeits which there are plenty for SD cards also), which is why I specifically looked for High Endurance V30/U3 cards (which I bought direct from WD, the manufacturer), which not only are warrantied for dashcam usage (as I quoted), they also have a write cycle rating. The 5 years warranty on the Samsung USB sticks are worthless for this application given it explicitly excludes using it in dashcams. Given shipping costs, either warranty isn't really worthwhile pursuing, but I see them more as an indication of confidence in the product.

That's been a problem with the USB sticks (even the better Samsung ones), they are explicitly are not warrantied for dashcam usage, have no write cycle rating listed, and they don't promise any minimum write speeds (which V30/U3 cards promise: 30 Mbps or 12.5 MB/s minimum; I have tested them to do 80 MB/s average). The last bit probably explains why as people use the USB sticks, they slow down to the point it's too slow for TeslaCam, even though it works for a while.
Yes, if you're running sentry/dashcam 24/7/365, which most people are not.

But let's finish out the math there.

That's 487 cycles per year.

6 months would only be 244 cycles.

Even 3D Nand TLC is typically rated for [B}thousands[/B] of cycles.... which should be many years of use before you wear them out.

People with quality USB drives dying in 6 months aren't wearing them out. They got bad (or counterfit) drives.

Now if you only run sentry/dashcam say 10 hours a day which is more typical (driving, plus 8 hours parked at work) you're talking like a decade to wear a good USB stick out.
From google, what I find is the TLC memory USB drives use typically are only rated 300-1000 full cycles, not thousands. Otherwise there is no reason to not list a TBW or any similar writing rating.

You can do a sanity check yourself on the popular Samsung SSDs out there using 3D TLC V-NAND (860 EVO or 870 EVO), they are only rated for 600 cycles (equivalent of 600 TBW for a 1TB drive, which they scale based on which size you buy).

The portable USB ones like the T5 (which they don't even give a TBW rating) are based on the 850 EVO, which is rated only 150-300 cycles (150 TBW for 500GB/1TB). USB sticks are likely using similar or even worse memory. The reports of 128GB sticks failing after 5-6 months (likely from people using close to 24/7 Sentry mode) makes sense given this.
SSD Product Warranty | Support | Samsung V-NAND SSD

The 128GB High Endurance cards at least I know they are rated around the equivalent of 117 TBW which would last about 2 years even with 24/7/365 Sentry+Dashcam mode.
Which again, is lower than the low end rated lifecycle of 3D Nand TLC flash memory
SDcards don't have 'magic' flash in em... you can find the same stuff in USB sticks.
I know that it's not magic, the difference is the High Endurance cards are willing to put a rating on it (with the cycle rating being actually better than popular consumer SSDs) and warranty it for write intensive applications. The USB sticks are not, which means it's anyone's guess when it fails.
You're saying you'd pull out the reader (leaving your car unable to record), pop out the flash card specifically meant for the car, and use it someplace else... with...some other SD card I guess that you need to connect as USB storage?

Because if you needed USB storage, the stick just does it directly.

So again it seems like that's the same thing with extra steps.
The phone issue is certainly a valid use use if your phone has an SD slot (that seems to be getting rarer, and obviously doesn't apply to Apple folks at all) and have some need to move the data to your phone.... (since the local viewer was added I haven't seen a need for this personally).

The card reader + microSD combo is just more flexible, as it gives you 3 (or 4 if you include the SD) interface options:
1) Use the combo just like a USB stick
2) Use the card
3) Use the reader for other cards.

The microSDs I have a lot of due to my phones, home security cameras, still/video cameras (with included SD adapter) all using them.

As for the last bit, getting a splitter ($25) costs even more money than just using the card reader. However, I do know there are people where this is irrelevant, as they only want to use the combo as a USB stick.

Last edited:
Just to add my experience - we bought two Samsung FIT Plus USB 3.1 128GB drives in October 2020, and have been getting errors with one of them for at least a month. I brought it inside and see write speeds of 4-5 MB but sometimes under 4 MB, so my Model 3 isn't lying. Reformatting the flash drive (either exFAT or NTFS) still shows transfer speeds of 5 MB or less from Windows.

Meanwhile, the other Samsung FIT, which we hadn't yet used, is getting 60 MB/s transfer speeds. Either one of our drives was always bad, or the one we bought wore out pretty quickly. We don't have Sentry Mode enabled, so it's only used when we drive, which is less than an hour per day.

128GB/7.2 GB (amount written per hour)= 17.77 hours per cycle.

150 days times 1 hour is 150 hours.

That's only 8.5 write cycles.

Using the most conservative figures (full hour, and full 5 months).

There's 0 chance you'd wear out a 128GB legit samsung drive in less than 9 write cycles of data... so yeah either counterfeit drive, or a bad one from the factory.

Can someone save me looking through 42 pages of posts and provide a recommendation on a replacement device that will allow for smooth in car playback of video?

Problem: Can't play sentry videos in car from USB stick, slow/hang to point of uselessness.
2018 M3, USB 2.0?, Currently using Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 256GB 400 400MB/s, Plugged directly into dash port.

Can someone save me looking through 42 pages of posts and provide a recommendation on a replacement device that will allow for smooth in car playback of video?

Problem: Can't play sentry videos in car from USB stick, slow/hang to point of uselessness.
2018 M3, USB 2.0?, Currently using Patriot Supersonic Rage 2 256GB 400 400MB/s, Plugged directly into dash port.

Same one the manual suggests, though larger capacity- Samsung FIT Plus 128GB. Began using when sentry launched in 2018, never had any issues.

I'll recommend this drive from this vendor. Two of them (one for Sentry, one for music) worked flawlessly for 16 months until I ran out of room on my music drive and ended up replacing both with a 1TB SSD.

And I just noticed they are on sale as of this writing.

I really think getting from the right seller is just as important as getting the right drive. Way too many counterfeits floating around, even on (especially on) Amazon.

Also, don't waste your money on an SSD EXCEPT if you need the space (flash drives are not cost effective above 256 GB).

I picked up a 1TB Samsung T5 and decided to partition to two 500GB partitions (one for music, one for cam) just to do something different.

Once partitioned, is this just plug-and-play in the car? For example: If I go to the on-screen menu and format the TeslaCam drive, does it automatically just format the cam partition? I assume yes but, want a bit of confirmation.

(The SanDisk iXpand 128GB flash drive in my wife’s Model Y has started failing after 7 months. We have to format it about once a week. I’m looking for a better drive and enhanced functionality, like partitioning for additional content.)

Once partitioned, is this just plug-and-play in the car? For example: If I go to the on-screen menu and format the TeslaCam drive, does it automatically just format the cam partition? I assume yes but, want a bit of confirmation.
Since I formatted my first drives before the car's formatting feature, I just automatically formatted it properly myself. I work on a Mac, so I used Disk Utility to format both partitions as Fat32 (called "MS-DOS (Fat)") and then created a folder on the partition for TeslaCam (called "TeslaCam" - this capitalization is required). It doesn't matter what you name the partitions - the car just looks for that folder.

Reactions: adayley
Reactions: BBrownUT
The Samsung Fit Plus is not working for me. The car continues to throw "UI_a080 Some clips not saved - USB too slow for Dashcam. Use USB Drive that writes at 4 MB/s or higher" error. The car is a 2020 M3LR. The card has been in the car since new, about 1900 miles.
Are you saying you have been using this drive since new and it just stopped working? Or are you saying it has not been working since then? What is the size and what is your load on it? Do you use sentry mode also and do you save a lot of clips (such that there is not much empty space on the drive)?

Are you saying you have been using this drive since new and it just stopped working? Or are you saying it has not been working since then? What is the size and what is your load on it? Do you use sentry mode also and do you save a lot of clips (such that there is not much empty space on the drive)?
It was working for a while. The Samsung Fit Plus is 128 GB. Sentry mode is turned on and disabled for home. The Fit drive is usually empty since we do not drive the car much (<2,000 miles in 18 months).

Also, having the car format the drive does not fix the error.