Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: V 2019.40.1.1 170kW charging, Neural Net for Auto Wipers, Auto Lane Change quicker

Did you get 2019.40 or higher?

• Yes

Votes: 152 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 353 69.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually am enjoying the wiper improvements. I think they're better, but nowhere near perfect yet.

I did some VERY unscientific testing at the time stamp linked below, but I will admit I was impressed with the wipers responding to a very small amount of mist from a spray bottle as spray from the road has always been my biggest issue with auto wipers.

Are you seeing any improvemt with Navigate on AP or AP in general

It took forever for my wipers to initially come on my first drive after updating (moderate rain), but once that happened, it's been fine since then for me, though I never had issues (other than the phantom swipe as I opened my garage door which I haven't seen yet on this version).

A wet drizzly night here in the greater Seattle area. It was perfect for flagging a LOT of scenarios where the auto wipers currently struggle. I gave it a good workout, and had one finger on the wiper stalk button for much of my evening commute. Parked at home now in wifi range, and hopefully it'll eventually upload some data back to the mothership for consideration.

Aaaaaand 40.2

At least it’s a full up change instead of being 40.1.2

Attachments

• 0D736AD0-E8F5-482D-879A-4CB2051A8FAC.png
    0D736AD0-E8F5-482D-879A-4CB2051A8FAC.png
    480.3 KB · Views: 91
It seems like a smarter path for training the neural wiper net would have been to include the same $2 sensor every other manufacturer uses, and have it provide feedback to the camera-based auto wiper software on scenarios it missed rather than only now saying that user initiated wipes will inform the camera-based system of its failures. Why is that just now being implemented?

And had Tesla trained the wiper net in the background with the standard sensor acting as the primary control and training data for the last couple of years they probably could have avoided their terrible auto wipe functionality entirely and just made the switch to the camera and phased out including the sensor once they confirmed the camera was as good as the sensor.

But I guess that’s entirely too practical or something. Might as well cut a tiny sensor cost, suffer some reputational harm for crappy/dangerous auto wipers, and hope the engineers/neural net get it working on par with every other car someday.

It seems like a smarter path for training the neural wiper net would have been to include the same $2 sensor every other manufacturer uses, and have it provide feedback to the camera-based auto wiper software on scenarios it missed rather than only now saying that user initiated wipes will inform the camera-based system of its failures. Why is that just now being implemented?

And had Tesla trained the wiper net in the background with the standard sensor acting as the primary control and training data for the last couple of years they probably could have avoided their terrible auto wipe functionality entirely and just made the switch to the camera and phased out including the sensor once they confirmed the camera was as good as the sensor.

But I guess that’s entirely too practical or something. Might as well cut a tiny sensor cost, suffer some reputational harm for crappy/dangerous auto wipers, and hope the engineers/neural net get it working on par with every other car someday.

The S and X have the sensor right? Have the S and X train the M3...