Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matrix Headlights Capabilities Enablement Timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the US now allowing Matrix headlights to be used since February 2022, when is Tesla going to actually implement the software to enable them? It's almost been a year since regulations have allowed it yet there has been no word from Tesla about the matrix headlights.

With the US now allowing Matrix headlights to be used since February 2022, when is Tesla going to actually implement the software to enable them? It's almost been a year since regulations have allowed it yet there has been no word from Tesla about the matrix headlights.
Tesla generally does not publish detailed upgrade plans. Those they do publish are routinely late.

Tesla will integrate Matrix headlamps into the production line when it is feasable for them.

It may even become an extra cost option if the costs are too high, compared to standard LEDs.
Matrix headlights have already been in production, and have been included on Tesla vehicles for over a year now.

It's the software aspect that's not enabled.

As I recall, matrix lighting technology was “approved” a year or so ago, but all the approval did was direct the DOT to develop proposed regulations, which they said would take a year or more. So I don’t think they can be used yet even if Tesla had their ish together.
This. They are technically allowed now, but no specific regulations have been developed as to how they need to operate. No other automaker has enabled them yet.

The US just needs to adopt the same regulations as EU to make things easier for everyone….

Reactions: erik.gnzo
You can find videos of the Pixel Headlights in action on Youtube. Strangely, all the videos seem to be from Europe only.
Nothing strange at all because it’s legal and operational in Europe and has been for years. Not working on North American cars.

BMW/Audi/Mercedes have had adaptive driving beam technology in Europe for approaching 10 years now. It’s existed before matrix LED technology and has been used with xenon/HID and regular LED headlights via shutters inside the headlights.

I'm aware of these headlights. I know the light shows use them. My car has them but I don't know their other capabilities. Can someone list what else these matrix lights do?
No other capabilities currently.

But they have similar hardware to Volvo’s Pixel LED headlights (both use Samsung PixCell LED chips) so they have the potential to have adaptive driving beam function if Tesla ever enables it. You can see videos of how they work on YouTube as mentioned above.

Reactions: dusty22
Nothing strange at all because it’s legal and operational in Europe and has been for years. Not working on North American cars.

BMW/Audi/Mercedes have had adaptive driving beam technology in Europe for approaching 10 years now. It’s existed before matrix LED technology and has been used with xenon/HID and regular LED headlights via shutters inside the headlights.
So the US is being a dinosaur in regards to this?

Reactions: drdumont
Can someone tell me how to get rid of this dark square on the matrix headlights? It drives me crazy. One small Rectangle that light doesn’t hit

Attachments

• BB00A031-A892-49EF-BFC9-471ED100E4F2.jpeg
    BB00A031-A892-49EF-BFC9-471ED100E4F2.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 876