Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's his P100D

upload_2019-5-14_20-54-48.png

• Informative
Reactions: UkrHog
I have the fastest quarter mile time slip photo on dragtimes. And the seventh and eighth fastest time for all Teslas, and the fastest for P85DLs on Dragy for the 1/8 mile. But you have to actually read and comprehend my posts to understand that.

You have no idea what you are talking about and don’t even bother to read the posts you are responding too. You are just too stupid for me to further waste my time with. Join my ignore list.

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences between 85 and 90 cars in this regard. 85 cars don't typically show a change in peak power in max battery mode. 90 and up cars *do*. While you have observed that only battery heating appears to be gone, your configuration is not the same as everyone else who is also sharing this issue (e.g. 90 cars).

Reactions: Daddy S and bhzmark
There are definitely people with p85ds up thread complaining about perceived loss of power. @NSX1992 was one of them in another thread until he collected actual data and realized he was fine. I was also concerned, collected comparable before and after data and realized I was fine.

You make a good distinction, which I mentioned in an earlier post but maybe in one of two other threads on this issue ,that p90d may use the mbp button differently.

Another difference is that the p100dls dont even have a mbp button. None of those differences are appreciated by people trying to say my car is slower because missing the mbp button (it's not) or the TRC car is slower because of the same button firmware (that video was likely made before the update, they flog their car more than anyone else, and they speculated that they may have a hardware issue and need to take to service center).

But you make a good distinction that if the p90ds need the mbp button for an additional functionality which is not supplied by the Lplus button that needs to be part of the software fix restoring the battery heater function also.

Does any p90dl have clear before and after data? For instance showing that their post update L+ power or times are now near identical to their pre update mbp off power or times under similar conditions?

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the differences between 85 and 90 cars in this regard. 85 cars don't typically show a change in peak power in max battery mode. 90 and up cars *do*. While you have observed that only battery heating appears to be gone, your configuration is not the same as everyone else who is also sharing this issue (e.g. 90 cars).

There are definitely people with p85ds up thread complaining about perceived loss of power. @NSX1992 was one of them in another thread until he collected actual data and realized he was fine. I was also concerned, collected comparable before and after data and realized I was fine.

You make a good distinction, which I mentioned in an earlier post but maybe in one of two other threads on this issue ,that p90d may use the mbp button differently.

Another difference is that the p100dls dont even have a mbp button. None of those differences are appreciated by people trying to say my car is slower because missing the mbp button (it's not) or the TRC car is slower because of the same button firmware (that video was likely made before the update, they flog their car more than anyone else, and they speculated that they may have a hardware issue and need to take to service center).

But you make a good distinction that if the p90ds need the mbp button for an additional functionality which is not supplied by the Lplus button that needs to be part of the software fix restoring the battery heater function also.

Does any p90dl have clear before and after data? For instance showing that their post update L+ power or times are now near identical to their pre update mbp off power or times under similar conditions?

Max power clearly doesn't work whether it's thru Ludicrous plus or not. When it is on like stated by someone else, the car sounds like a plane while it's heating up. However I will say that launch mode doesn't make much difference on times. I know most my times that I had g force above 1.5, I didnt even use launch mode.

Max power clearly doesn't work whether it's thru Ludicrous plus or not. When it is on like stated by someone else, the car sounds like a plane while it's heating up. However I will say that launch mode doesn't make much difference on times. I know most my times that I had g force above 1.5, I didnt even use launch mode.

I agree that the battery heater function that was controlled by the MBP button doesn’t work. And I agree that Launch Mode never made a difference in times — at least for P85DLs and I assumed you agree with your P90DL.

I always preferred to heat the battery by either supercharging, using ambient temperature (testing on a hot day), or simply making a run which itself heats the battery up so much that sometimes triggers the cooling eventually.

The issue is whether there is some additional power loss is implemented through the software because both MBP button and LAunch mode are not available. That is not the case with P85DLs or P100DLs which don’t have the MBP button. But could be the case for P90DLs.

Dragy shows P100DLs in May (probably with the update) doing
0-60 in 2.7, and 2.8
1/4 in 10.89

And Dragy shows a P90DL in May doing:
0-60 in 3.1 (consistent with other P90DLs on Dragy except you as the only outlier regularly breaking 3)
1/8 in 7.18

I agree that the battery heater function that was controlled by the MBP button doesn’t work. And I agree that Launch Mode never made a difference in times — at least for P85DLs and I assumed you agree with your P90DL.

I always preferred to heat the battery by either supercharging, using ambient temperature (testing on a hot day), or simply making a run which itself heats the battery up so much that sometimes triggers the cooling eventually.

I also think dragy time are off 3 tenths a second consistently on 0-60 mph times cause P100D's would not be as slow as they are on the dragy. So 2.8 is more like 2.5 etc. But yes their has been a dramatic loss in power as ludicrous plus and ludicrous are identical in kw as well. Mine has actually dropped even lower too. But I have not tried using it besides to just check the kw a few times cause it really bothers me that it's happening for one and that it has not yet been fixed. I also agree that P100D's have lost some power as well. Just from friends that own them who say they have dropped slightly but nothing like the P90DL

The issue is whether there is some additional power loss is implemented through the software because both MBP button and LAunch mode are not available. That is not the case with P85DLs or P100DLs which don’t have the MBP button. But could be the case for P90DLs.

Dragy shows P100DLs in May (probably with the update) doing
0-60 in 2.7, and 2.8
1/4 in 10.89

And Dragy shows a P90DL in May doing:
0-60 in 3.1 (consistent with other P90DLs on Dragy except you as the only outlier regularly breaking 3)
1/8 in 7.18

Or more like 2 tenths a second. I think it has a harder time being accurate with 0-60mph times simply because the car is moving so fast and it effects the dragy and getting a good signal. There have been several times my car ran high kw and did terrible times due to bad signal reception I assume

Also if you check the manual after the new update it talks about max power being used with ludicrous plus. So it's just clearly missing which I don't really think was an accident. Also it bother's me now that Tesla shows their CPO P90DL's as being capable of 2.6 seconds for 2015 and 2016 model s when it was only possible in the 2016.5. Plus it shows their range being 270 miles when they are really 253 miles. Has anyone purchased a 2015 or 2016 P90DL that said these times and ranges? If so does your car get 270 miles of range (or less due to degradation but more than 253? And did you happen to test the kw cause for them to be doing 2.6 seconds it needs to be above 500kw

FYI, 2019.16.1.1 is out and confirmed to restore Max power options on P85D/L cars. I just got off the phone with my SC and they said that update is not available for my car. He's looking into it to see if there's any way it can be pushed.

WTF of course it's not available for are cars cause they damage the battery the fastest where the P85D doesn't unless ludicrous is added but even than it does not get anywhere near the amps that our's gets with the V3 battery same with the 2015 and 2016 P90DL. They don;t get the same amps as our's either. We pull 1600 amps compared to 1400 amps for them which has a greater effect on the times than the kw but does damage our V3 battery

Also if you check the manual after the new update it talks about max power being used with ludicrous plus. So it's just clearly missing which I don't really think was an accident. Also it bother's me now that Tesla shows their CPO P90DL's as being capable of 2.6 seconds for 2015 and 2016 model s when it was only possible in the 2016.5. Plus it shows their range being 270 miles when they are really 253 miles. Has anyone purchased a 2015 or 2016 P90DL that said these times and ranges? If so does your car get 270 miles of range (or less due to degradation but more than 253? And did you happen to test the kw cause for them to be doing 2.6 seconds it needs to be above 500kw

Yep I recently bought a 2016 P90DL (AP1) with a quoted 2.6 second 0 to 60 mph. I am doubtful especially as I discovered I have the V1 battery. I have asked our dear leader by Twitter how this has been achieved with zero response. The "typical" range I see at 100% is 241 miles and 302 "ideal". I am in the UK so our range figures are confused by rating system possibly. I haven't got a method for testing kW or sprint times as yet. I am led to believe that Motortrend (?) got a 2.6 second 0 to 60 mph (P90DL on a V1 battery) so assume Tesla are using that as proof of performance. I could be wrong though.

253 is the range for a P85DL, not a P90DL. Also, seriously, it was first thought to be a bug and was then acknowledged as a bug and is (supposedly) corrected in 2019.16.1.1, so you don't need to keep carrying the torch on that point. Agreed on your V1 early P90DL point not being able to reach claimed 0-60 though.

Last edited:
Reactions: UkrHog
Yep I recently bought a 2016 P90DL (AP1) with a quoted 2.6 second 0 to 60 mph. I am doubtful especially as I discovered I have the V1 battery. I have asked our dear leader by Twitter how this has been achieved with zero response. The "typical" range I see at 100% is 241 miles and 302 "ideal". I am in the UK so our range figures are confused by rating system possibly. I haven't got a method for testing kW or sprint times as yet. I am led to believe that Motortrend (?) got a 2.6 second 0 to 60 mph (P90DL on a V1 battery) so assume Tesla are using that as proof of performance. I could be wrong though.

That's Bullshit cause for the longest time they had change it after they got sued and the 2016 and 2015 P90DL wpould say 3.1 seconds 0-60 mph. It was about a month that they switched the times for all. The P100DL was 2.5 seconds 0-60 mph for the longest time now at 2.4 seconds. They are basically saying please sue us again cause they did this on purpose knowing that they 100% lying and misleading buyer's unreal. This is why I am over Tesla. I love the car but hate the company as a whole. And that's all coming from the man on top so not blaming any Tesla employees they have always been good and respectful too me.
For me it just signals red flags everywhere, as far as them potentially going out of business due to lack of funds so they just don't care about the repercussions cuz they know that they are about to be bankrupt or selling the company etc.
Also I was wrong and right about the ludicrous plus and max battery. It may or may not have it based on what I read. Interesting was that it now says the car must be in the low position on air suspension to be able to do lunch mode. Never had to do that before

IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_E2452.JPG

in order to move a 5100lb vehicle from 0-60 in under 3 seconds, you need over 700 "horse power at the flywheel". Granted, there's no flywheel and the mechanics behind this are very different, but the power to the ground is key here. Considering about a 10% drive train loss, that would equate to around 630-650 hp to the wheels. To Daddy S' point, you'll need at least 525KW to get those numbers.

Also I was wrong and right about the ludicrous plus and max battery. It may or may not have it based on what I read. Interesting was that it now says the car must be in the low position on air suspension to be able to do lunch mode. Never had to do that before

Yeah Tesla should have done that long ago, given you break CV joints if you launch in high. Can't believe that change took 4+ years.

Reactions: bhzmark
in order to move a 5100lb vehicle from 0-60 in under 3 seconds, you need over 700 "horse power at the flywheel". Granted, there's no flywheel and the mechanics behind this are very different, but the power to the ground is key here. Considering about a 10% drive train loss, that would equate to around 630-650 hp to the wheels. To Daddy S' point, you'll need at least 525KW to get those numbers.
Power was always the wrong measurement. Power is just a proxy number for when you run out of torque.