Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Max Battery Power Missing - Firmware 2019.8.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting was that it now says the car must be in the low position on air suspension to be able to do lunch mode. Never had to do that before

Finally! I suggested 3 times in letters to Tesla to limit on launch unless you're in the lowest suspension setting and that you're wheels are within a certain angular range of straight. I'm on my 5th set of cv shafts. Fortunately the current set has last 20K miles but I'm pretty sure that's because I lowered my car an additional inch after getting the last replacement set.

Reactions: bhzmark
Just prior to updating I observed that my car P85D converted to P90D only pulls 1500 amps and maxes out at 479kw if max battery isn’t enabled, otherwise I see about 1600amps and just north of 500kw. I don’t think I’m going to be able to get to 100% charge before I leave, but I’m going to do some logs on my way to work and see what sort of power difference or amperage difference I may be seeing with the new L+ button.

This is the very first report I've seen that says max amps is limited without the max battery setting enabled. Do you have canbus logs to show this?

This is the very first report I've seen that says max amps is limited without the max battery setting enabled. Do you have canbus logs to show this?

See my previous post on the logs. These are unfortunately all I have. I didn’t “save” any of my logs. I do have PowerTools logs within 1 minute of each other showing 479 and 499 respectively, where the only change was that button being pushed.

All under warranty?

Yes. The 3rd replacement (4th set) was done at 50K miles. Within 3K miles, the problem was back...as usual so I informed them. They responded that they were aware of the issue and that they were working on a fix and asked me to hang tight. It got worse by 70K miles and I asked them to either fix it again or put it in writing that the shaking wouldn't result in a component failure due to metal fatigue. They responded it with "bring it in right away...like tomorrow...and we'll fix it again".

Within 100 miles of the replacement, and without me doing any hard acceleration, I lowered the car 1". I had already decided the height of the car combined with massive torque was what was destroying the cv joints.

The 1" lowering brings the car back down to the height the S was before Tesla raised the car 1" via software in 2014 for fear of battery strikes. In my view, I returned it to the height it was when the drive train was qualified originally.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and Seven7
Yes. The 3rd replacement (4th set) was done at 50K miles. Within 3K miles, the problem was back...as usual so I informed them. They responded that they were aware of the issue and that they were working on a fix and asked me to hang tight. It got worse by 70K miles and I asked them to either fix it again or put it in writing that the shaking wouldn't result in a component failure due to metal fatigue. They responded it with "bring it in right away...like tomorrow...and we'll fix it again".

Within 100 miles of the replacement, and without me doing any hard acceleration, I lowered the car 1". I had already decided the height of the car combined with massive torque was what was destroying the cv joints.

The 1" lowering brings the car back down to the height the S was before Tesla raised the car 1" via software in 2014 for fear of battery strikes. In my view, I returned it to the height it was when the drive train was qualified originally.

I wish they'd just limit the torque as necessary. I need the very high setting in certain places, not willing to lower it 1". They could just put Very Low back too :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: sorka
If you don't care about changing seat heaters remotely, not a single reason to upgrade.

I figure I'll stay on V8 as long as stuff works. It's likely that at some point slacker and other service based features may stop due to rest api or protocol changes that are no longer compatible with v8. Hopefully that will be a long time from now.

I really wish they'd just bring back the old code base and add the few new features that there have been to that.

I figure I'll stay on V8 as long as stuff works. It's likely that at some point slacker and other service based features may stop due to rest api or protocol changes that are no longer compatible with v8. Hopefully that will be a long time from now.

Hey it could just stop working due to a new bug too, no guarantees on updates. It certainly *feels* like more things get broken than get fixed.

I really wish they'd just bring back the old code base and add the few new features that there have been to that.

I'd do anything to get rid of this stupid NAV eats the world, autohide everything UI.

Wasn't it established long ago that MTs results where the result of ringers. MT got results nobody was ever able to repeat on multiple review cars.

Tesla advertised the 2016 P90DL at 2.8 seconds.

Yeah sorry I am new to this and trying to absorb as much info as possible. My April bought 2016 P90DL was advertised by Tesla at 2.6 seconds. I ignorantly hopeful that I wasn't mislead in anyway into buying a £50+K car! Sad as it sounds this was a reason why I went for the P90DL.

James

Back in 2018 August I have a [email protected] 1/8 mile run with 1.72 60 foot. I didn’t note the conditions in comments because I was just fooling around with Dragy. IT’s the 7th fastest 1/8 mile time for all History under Tesla on Dragy.

Just below that at 8th fastest 1/8 time is another [email protected] with 1.68 60 foot that I did on May 3 2019 after the update. There I noted that the battery was 85 SOC and cold — ambient temp was 61F. (Dragy now records that which is cool). I also had some extra crap in car it generally wasn’t in ideal conditions. Teslafi.com tells me I got 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29 on 04/30/2019 6:18 AM.

And now with 2019.16.1.1 and L+ and MBP enabled (audibly working) and Ready!, and same 85% SOC on same stretch of road, and for kicks although it has never been any benefit before, using launch mode, same exact 7.35 although this time at 94mph. it's on dragy -- a P85DL

Last edited:
And now with 2019.16.1.1 and L+ and MBP enabled (audibly working) and Ready!, and same 85% SOC on same stretch of road, and for kicks although it has never been any benefit before, using launch mode, same exact 7.35 although this time at 94mph. it's on dragy -- a P85DL
So you're saying that 0-60 is the same if you engage official Launch Mode versus if you simple mash the accelerator peddle from a standing stop? I assume when you weren't in Launch Mode you had the "Hold" (H) engaged for this test?

So you're saying that 0-60 is the same if you engage official Launch Mode versus if you simple mash the accelerator peddle from a standing stop? I assume when you weren't in Launch Mode you had the "Hold" (H) engaged for this test?

It was established years ago that launch mode provided no benefit for p85dls, and maybe useless for p90dls too iir.

If anything was beneficial off the line it was slip start. Launch mode's uselessness seems again confirmed by my one data point under this most recent update.

Although I didnt also do another test with this new update without LM. I'll do that sometime when I can do so under similar conditions.

Dont recall if hold was on or not. Its flat so not necessary to use hold to be stationary.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of Launch Mode disappeared.
2015 P85D Insane, version 2019.12.1.1

I'm of the opinion it is a bug that will be fixed, otherwise why not just purposely disappear the "max battery mode" button?
The addition of Insane+ mode has the intention of, and an explanation in the release notes, to be the new way of enabling max battery mode (and Launch Mode).

Upgraded to 2019.16.1.1 today.
Launch Mode has been restored:
Insane+ mode triggers the Max Battery Power pop-up screen.
When Max Battery Power is activated the "time to max power" is shown under the acceleration mode just as before. The fans turning on are audible.

Last edited:
Moderator note: Moved some posts to snippiness. Insulting other forum members is against TMC rules.

(Note some of the moved posts actually had some useful information...they'd be more than welcome if reposted without snippiness or quotes of snippiness.)

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA