Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximize Tax Credits/Rebates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently scheduled to take delivery of my Tesla on 12/26 and want to maximize rebates/credits available both from a federal and state perspective.

Is there a thread and/or site which lays all of this out? According to Tesla's website it shows a federal credit of $1,875 and then a California CVRP rebate of $2,000. It also looks like PG&E grants a $800 rebate for a total credit/rebate of $4,675.

Any others or anything I should be aware of?

I was reading that congress just passed a bill giving many hundreds of dollars for putting a charger at your house. I got my car in 2018 so if it applies to me it would be a re-filing of my taxes from that year. Hopefully, someone here knows the specifics.

• Informative
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I was reading that congress just passed a bill giving many hundreds of dollars for putting a charger at your house. I got my car in 2018 so if it applies to me it would be a re-filing of my taxes from that year. Hopefully, someone here knows the specifics.

Here is some more information from electrek:
US extends tax credits for EV chargers, motorcycles, fuel cells, again retroactively - Electrek

Due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station, a 10% credit (up to $2,500) on 2- or 3-wheeled electric vehicles such as electric motorcycles, and a $4,000 credit for the purchase of a new fuel-cell vehicle.​

These credits previously expired at the end of 2017, but will now be available through the end of 2020. The credits are available retroactively. Presumably, this means that taxpayers can and should file amended returns for previous years.​

I am currently scheduled to take delivery of my Tesla on 12/26 and want to maximize rebates/credits available both from a federal and state perspective.

Is there a thread and/or site which lays all of this out? According to Tesla's website it shows a federal credit of $1,875 and then a California CVRP rebate of $2,000. It also looks like PG&E grants a $800 rebate for a total credit/rebate of $4,675.

Any others or anything I should be aware of?

Look through here:

Electric Vehicles: Tax Credits and Other Incentives

Reactions: HardHitter
besides the income limit on the CVRP, that program now applies to Tesla, only in Model S & X.
Model 3 no longer qualifies for the rebate.

CVRP Eligible Vehicles

You have this backwards....

CVRP ONLY applies to Model S and X purchased before December 3rd 2019. The link you linked to is showing those vehicles for which CVRP becomes INELIGIBLE after December 3rd, not vehicles which are still eligible.

You have this backwards....

CVRP ONLY applies to Model S and X purchased before December 3rd 2019. The link you linked to is showing those vehicles for which CVRP becomes INELIGIBLE after December 3rd, not vehicles which are still eligible.

I see that they relaxed the limit from a month or so ago. It used to be that the M3P were also not eligible for the rebate because it is over $60,000 MSRP. Now they just limited by model not by price.

So in summary for Model 3, max credit calculation is $5,675 according to the programs below. Would be good to know if there are any others I'm missing.

EV Vehicle Credit - Credit of $1,875
CVRP - Rebate of $2,000 as long as household income of less than $300K
PG&E - Rebate of $800 for purchase of EV vehicle
EV Charging Credit - 30% credit (Max credit of $1,000)

So in summary for Model 3, max credit calculation is $5,675 according to the programs below. Would be good to know if there are any others I'm missing.

EV Vehicle Credit - Credit of $1,875
CVRP - Rebate of $2,000 as long as household income of less than $300K
PG&E - Rebate of $800 for purchase of EV vehicle
EV Charging Credit - 30% credit (Max credit of $1,000)

I wonder how it's different if my wife is a self-employed contractor?