Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received the code and message few days ago after the latest update.Never had an issue,it charged fine and I charged it to 100% maybe 2x in total.It’s a 2013 P85,out of warranty since July.I got a quote for $12k to replace battery.Not sure what to do and if it’s worth it :( It charges only once it’s under 45miles and charges only up to 85 and says “completed”.

How is the rest of the car?
-internal/external condition.
-any suspension issues and have the drive units been replaced previously?
Do you enjoy driving it?
Do you feel safe in the car?

If answers generally positive, then ask them if they can do it for $10K but otherwise do it for $12K.
Hopefully the $12K would get you at least 18 months of life out of the car. The car is 8 years old so things will happen.

If money tight and you still want a nice EV, perhaps look at leasing an Audi or Polestar 2.
I think there were some good deals on used Audi Etrons recently too.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
DaemonRed said:
I just received the code and message few days ago after the latest update.Never had an issue,it charged fine and I charged it to 100% maybe 2x in total.It’s a 2013 P85,out of warranty since July.I got a quote for $12k to replace battery.Not sure what to do and if it’s worth it :( It charges only once it’s under 45miles and charges only up to 85 and says “completed”.
_____
Sorry you are having trouble. If Tesla won't repair the battery, I think Gruber Motor can help or Electrified Garage. They may be able to do it for several thousand dollars less:

DaemonRed said:
_____
Sorry you are having trouble. If Tesla won't repair the battery, I think Gruber Motor can help or Electrified Garage. They may be able to do it for several thousand dollars less:

Also @wk057 can help @DaemonRed

Reactions: wk057
I just had the same problem on my 8/2013 S85 with just over 100k miles. Battery had degraded from 100% of 240's to 100% at 220 over the past 2 years, and max supercharging was throttled to about 70kw even in ideal conditions, but the car was still great for local driving and short/med road trips. Then suddenly last night the range dropped from 90 -> 40 while car was sitting in driveway, Got the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" error and when I plug it in it says "starting to charge" and then immediately changes to "charge complete" without actually charging. Will take it in to service center tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

I think for 12k i might replace the battery if they can convince me that it will be a good battery and not a refurbished 85 that already has a thousand cycles on it. For 20k plus I think I would just cut my losses and move on. This is a pretty big bummer. Will update when I hear more.

I just had the same problem on my 8/2013 S85 with just over 100k miles. Battery had degraded from 100% of 240's to 100% at 220 over the past 2 years, and max supercharging was throttled to about 70kw even in ideal conditions, but the car was still great for local driving and short/med road trips. Then suddenly last night the range dropped from 90 -> 40 while car was sitting in driveway, Got the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" error and when I plug it in it says "starting to charge" and then immediately changes to "charge complete" without actually charging. Will take it in to service center tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

I think for 12k i might replace the battery if they can convince me that it will be a good battery and not a refurbished 85 that already has a thousand cycles on it. For 20k plus I think I would just cut my losses and move on. This is a pretty big bummer. Will update when I hear more.

Sorry that happened.

Between Tesla or one of the other options outlined above, I hope you can get your car fixed and back on the road soon.

Took it in today and initial eval suggested I will need a new battery. They said they are working on putting together an estimate. Obviously I can choose to buy the battery they offer and the car would work again. But what happens if I don't want to buy the battery they offer? What other option would I have? Would tesla or some other 3rd party buy the car from me with a non-functional battery? I'm in Portland, OR if that matters

You could buy a salvaged pack and have that installed or Gruber Motors or some other shop might be able to fix your pack.
Yes, also Electrified Garage:

Possibly 057Tech too:

Reactions: JRP3
I've seen those services mentioned, but I can't imagine it would work to have my car shipped from Oregon to NC or FL and back. I would think that with the shipping charges, it would be cheaper for me to just buy a new battery. Unless I'm way off on how much it costs to ship a car across the country?

I've seen those services mentioned, but I can't imagine it would work to have my car shipped from Oregon to NC or FL and back. I would think that with the shipping charges, it would be cheaper for me to just buy a new battery. Unless I'm way off on how much it costs to ship a car across the country?
Or you may be overestimating the cost of third party repair vs a new battery. If you search around here, I think @wk057 might have mentioned that he can replace a battery, with shipping the car cross-country, for less than Tesla. But don't quote me on that.

FWIW, I think I paid around 1300 to ship a car from Houston to Boston 10+ years ago.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Reactions: DRasheed

See this thread:
Specifically:

Not on the west coast, but it's actually been more cost effective for many of my customers to ship their vehicle to 057 for their repair/replacement and have us ship it back (or them fly out and drive it back) vs getting service done at Tesla. We do this quite regularly. We even have a customer who lives within single-digit miles of the Fremont factory who's best option was to ship their vehicle to us for a pack replacement... which is actually kind of sad, IMO.

Anyway, @cmc1671, shoot me a note or contact my team with the last 6 of your VIN and a brief note about what's going on and we'll see what we can do for you.
and
Even shipping your car both ways across the country for service, we can still likely beat Tesla's pricing by over $15k. It's sad they don't offer any reasonable path towards repairs for these things.

Sorry that happened.

Between Tesla or one of the other options outlined above, I hope you can get your car fixed and back on the road soon.
Update!After I got prompted to update car yesterday to 2021.44.5 message on dashboard disappeared and it charged fully.Even after interrupting it went back to charging normally.Could this be just another battery gate?
I let you know if anything changes.

Don’t know if you already received last update 2021.44.5 but after doing the update the message is gone and I was able to charge car fully.I hope it doesn’t come back on,but this makes me think that my initial thought, of the update being responsible for the sudden battery death,makes sense.How can it after updating all of the sudden be all good?

That's interesting. I called service and they said that they would remotely look at the battery and call me back. Of course they never called me back and a day later I called them… they said "it looks like you will need a pack replacement, just have your car brought in."

After their diagnostics I noticed the error message was gone and I was able to charge. I only charged it a couple miles since I was nervous about it. Since I'm only a couple miles from the service center I drove it there and it worked fine with no errors.

It's been sitting in service for a few days with no update, but they gave me a loaner so they can take as long as they want...