Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum battery charge level reduced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's good news! Perhaps some cases where this occurs can now be resolved through a software update? I recommend you be careful with the battery and monitor it, charging only to 90% maximum. The car should automatically balance the battery. Try also to get it no lower than 10%.
I’m going to drive it and see what happens,hoping it was just a software glitch to begin with.My appointment is not until end of month,so we’ll see what happens

Well looks like the service center feels I need a new pack. They are offering a pack described on the invoice as "Batt, s3, BB, Remanufactured, MDLS (1088815-01-B) for a cost of $11k including labor.

Has anyone received a similar pack and can tell me what the performance might be? Specifically, my pack prior to 2019 used to get 240-250 miles of range and would supercharge up to 115kw. Since 2020 it had a max range of 220 and a max supercharge speed of 70kw. I'm curious if the new pack would be more like the former or latter.

Any other questions I need to be asking about this remanufactured pack? Is there any way to assess the age or wear of it?

I sent emails to Gruber and WK057 motors but haven't heart back

I sent emails to [...] WK057 but haven't heard back

Hmm... we're mostly caught up on inquiries from the past couple of weeks, so maybe check email spam folder. If not can PM me your ticket #.

That said, we're booked solid on battery repairs/replacements clear into February. Depending on where you're located, you might have a quicker time with Tesla service handling it. The $11k replacement option isn't terrible all things considered. We can definitely do better, just keep in mind you'd still be looking at several thousand for parts+labor, vehicle transport (assuming you're not reasonably local), plus some lead time.

Reactions: JRP3
Hmm... we're mostly caught up on inquiries from the past couple of weeks, so maybe check email spam folder. If not can PM me your ticket #.

That said, we're booked solid on battery repairs/replacements clear into February. Depending on where you're located, you might have a quicker time with Tesla service handling it. The $11k replacement option isn't terrible all things considered. We can definitely do better, just keep in mind you'd still be looking at several thousand for parts+labor, vehicle transport (assuming you're not reasonably local), plus some lead time.
Just sent the email this afternoon, which was evening on the east coast so I wouldn't expect a reply yet. Sorry if my post made you look bad, wasn't my intent

Do you have a clear sense of exactly what I will be getting with this battery? If the refurbished cells are from a 2013 or 2014 car and have years of time on them, it seems like another failure in the near future is pretty likely. If the refurbished battery has cells that are pretty fresh it seems like still kind of a crappy deal but I might be able to swallow it.

Just sent the email this afternoon, which was evening on the east coast so I wouldn't expect a reply yet. Sorry if my post made you look bad, wasn't my intent

Do you have a clear sense of exactly what I will be getting with this battery? If the refurbished cells are from a 2013 or 2014 car and have years of time on them, it seems like another failure in the near future is pretty likely. If the refurbished battery has cells that are pretty fresh it seems like still kind of a crappy deal but I might be able to swallow it.
When my 85 kWh pack (2015 P85D) was replaced (under warranty), it was replaced with a 90 kWh pack (read first post). It has had 248 miles rated range at that time and nearly two years later it has not budged, still 248. I believe it may be software limited. I am hoping this pack lasts a very long time.

When my 85 kWh pack (2015 P85D) was replaced (under warranty), it was replaced with a 90 kWh pack (read first post). It has had 248 miles rated range at that time and nearly two years later it has not budged, still 248. I believe it may be software limited. I am hoping this pack lasts a very long time.
If there was any way I could be sure I would get a pack like that, I would happily do the replacement. Unfortunately I think it is more likely I will get a heavily used 85 that is batterygate limited and similar to what I had before (220 max range and reduced supercharger speeds)

All this talk about cost of battery replacement made me realize how high the $/Kwh still is. I feel like years ago there was talk of tesla being down to $150/Kwh and on their way to $100/Kwh which would be when battery cars could really compete with gas cars on a cost basis. But now we are talking about $250/Kwh for a new pack or $150/Kwh for a refurbished pack. That is WAY more expensive than what I expected 6 years ago when I was deciding whether to buy this car.

All this talk about cost of battery replacement made me realize how high the $/Kwh still is. I feel like years ago there was talk of tesla being down to $150/Kwh and on their way to $100/Kwh which would be when battery cars could really compete with gas cars on a cost basis. But now we are talking about $250/Kwh for a new pack or $150/Kwh for a refurbished pack. That is WAY more expensive than what I expected 6 years ago when I was deciding whether to buy this car.

I believe those prices are not just the battery at cost. They include the shipping/handling, labor and some built-in profit I'm sure.

Yes there is a big difference between Tesla's cost per kWh to build a pack and the retail price they charge the end customer. That said they are long past the point where they need to maximize profit on every part and service and they should really be offering pack replacement at their cost. We will be seeing more vehicles recently out of warranty needing costly pack replacements and it's going to be used against Tesla and the EV movement as a whole even though most packs will last far longer.

Yes there is a big difference between Tesla's cost per kWh to build a pack and the retail price they charge the end customer. That said they are long past the point where they need to maximize profit on every part and service and they should really be offering pack replacement at their cost. We will be seeing more vehicles recently out of warranty needing costly pack replacements and it's going to be used against Tesla and the EV movement as a whole even though most packs will last far longer.

Can't agree more. The current approach works against the brand.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If there was any way I could be sure I would get a pack like that, I would happily do the replacement. Unfortunately I think it is more likely I will get a heavily used 85 that is batterygate limited and similar to what I had before (220 max range and reduced supercharger speeds)
I received a "refurb" (pretty sure it just means used) 85 earlier this year under warranty. The refurb behaves the same as the original before the failure; it will supercharge not so super. But I've read that at if you pay for the refurb, the warranty is 4 years; that's pretty good. Since my warranty ran out after the replacement, I have no protection at all now.

Just called Tesla Service to explain my range loss problem with my "new" battery pack.
They told me that the battery needs about 2 WEEKS of charge/discharge in order to stabilize and that "cells" will be activated during the process and that my range will increase progressively up to full capacity.
I have never heard or read something like that. I think they try to save time.
I told them I will call them back in 2 weeks since I have absolutely no hope it will change anything.

If anybody here as already heard and/or experienced this "waking up of new cells" story please tell me because it sounds bullshit to me.
After 3 months waiting finally I got a refurbished battery replacement 1088815-01-A, and the range stayed 226 miles @98%, comparing to 240 miles @100% from my old battery, the rate of super charge of new battery is much slower 55KW at 45 miles.
Tesla tech told me same thing, the new battery would take 6 to 8 weeks to learn your driving behavior and the range will gradually increase to 265 miles, if not creating new ticket we will take a look of your new battery

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
After 3 months waiting finally I got a refurbished battery replacement 1088815-01-A, and the range stayed 226 miles @98%, comparing to 240 miles @100% from my old battery, the rate of super charge of new battery is much slower 55KW at 45 miles.
Tesla tech told me same thing, the new battery would take 6 to 8 weeks to learn your driving behavior and the range will gradually increase to 265 miles, if not creating new ticket we will take a look of your new battery
I highly doubt the BMS will recalibrate the cells and increase the range by 39 miles. Please post again in 2 months and let us know

This is a straight up lie to make you go away.

Tesla’s warranty doc says they owe you a replacement battery with at least as many miles as the one they replaced. Get ready for a fight.

You better have gotten that in writing.

This is a straight up lie to make you go away.

Tesla’s warranty doc says they owe you a replacement battery with at least as many miles as the one they replaced. Get ready for a fight.
Yep. When my battery was replaced in Sept 2020 (for what I believe was a failure of a voltage sensor in the BMS, not cell failure), I got a remanufactured 1088815-01-E. When I asked about my odds of getting on of the new 350V packs, the service advisor immediately shut me down with "the warranty only guarantees a replacement with at least as much capacity as your current battery" - he was clearly tired of getting complaints about the policy.

Range at 100% on the new battery (251 miles) was identical to the original one. SMT reports lower cycle count on the new one (down by ~1/3). I believe it is software capped, as I have limited regen up near 100% which I didn't have before.

you know this is BS right?

you know this is BS right?
cuti said:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unsatisfied with the answer, so today I brought my car to another Tesla SC near my area, a very nice adviser listened to my story then he checked my battery part # and said, indeed this is a reman battery 85KWH, the outer frame is reused but all the inside cells are new, chemical mix similar to my original battery. There is no capped but since the new BMS is "confused" with the old current gateway and the log of the the car, so it can not show the real range and max super charge rate.. It will take sometime for them to communicate and compatible together. If i dont see any progress in range and super charge speed after 4 weeks, bring the car back he will fix it..