Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maybe I’m overreacting?! 😱 [first curb rash]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Vision draws coloured bands around the sides...orange means you're good, red is you're too close! I tried this yesterday with my wife in my car. Pulled up to curb, about a foot out, line was orange.
Leave your car there for about a minute and the curb will only be 6 inches away, 30 seconds later it’ll be 18 inches. Tesla vision is trash and we should be given the option to disable it.

Reactions: cdub and Resist
I find it baffling how some individuals seem completely indifferent. On two separate occasions, I was in my car when two different women carelessly opened their doors and damaged mine. Instead of acknowledging their mistake, they denied it outright. It's frustrating to witness such behavior, whether it happens to you or someone else, especially in situations like these.
I hear you! Many decades ago I was sitting in my truck and a woman parked right next to me and flung open her door hitting my passenger door. The window was down and I yelled out "HEY!" Her response was not "I'm so sorry", instead she said her door has door protectors, I told her that my door didn't and hers don't protect other vehicles. People are just idiots!

Reactions: Stan930 and easyev
Leave your car there for about a minute and the curb will only be 6 inches away, 30 seconds later it’ll be 18 inches. Tesla vision is trash and we should be given the option to disable it.
I agree, Tesla Vision sucks! The decision to get rid of Ultra Sonic Sensors was a bad one and fueled by manufacturing savings. The fact that Tesla who is supposed to also be a software company didn't even have the software ready before selling cars without the sensors. And by the way, those sensors have worked well in the auto industry for decades. You don't remove something that works, unless you have something better. And there is no way vision only will be better unless Tesla adds a bumper camera, and we know they won't retrofit all our cars.

Reactions: turnbowm and easyev
I agree, Tesla Vision sucks! The decision to get rid of Ultra Sonic Sensors was a bad one and fueled by manufacturing savings. The fact that Tesla who is supposed to also be a software company didn't even have the software ready before selling cars without the sensors. And by the way, those sensors have worked well in the auto industry for decades. You don't remove something that works, unless you have something better. And there is no way vision only will be better unless Tesla adds a bumper camera, and we know they won't retrofit all our cars.
I agree it’s not great but it’s what MY23 and up cars have. I deliberately bought a 2022 plaid because I wanted the ultrasonic sensors and I’m happy I’ve got them. Way less commotion! The warnings aren’t always going off in the rain with bushes and leaves, etc. admittedly, it’s gotten better with updates.

The warnings aren’t always going off in the rain with bushes and leaves, etc. admittedly, it’s gotten better with updates.
Even Ultra Sonic Sensors should go off from bushes. It's basically sonar and anything can register a return signal, within it's range. And I never had an issue with mine doing that, I prefer it over not seeing things that vision does. Not seeing things below the front bumper is a huge issue without a bumper camera.

Now I own a tesla I look closer at thr cars. Literly every tesla I've seen, in every model the wheels are rashed to some degree, from light scratches to completely minced.

The fact the wheels are mostly painted dark shows them up, makes it even more pronounced.

If you want to hear a confronting story and it made me somewhat sad about thr mythical magical EV car, when I got to Helsinki recently came out of the airport and the taxi rank was ALL ev's. Models of cars I've never seen, all thr VW id model, minis, BMW, Mercedes, tesla etc. All as taxis.

The state and condition of these cars shocked me. Literly all of them looked like demolition derby cars, panels all dented. Windscreens cracked scratches, wheels smashed in. Interior on thr Id5 we went in was ruined.

It made me feel like the tesla I was ordering wasn't this special car. As others have said, it's really just a car, yes they cost alot but that's life when u live in the real world. Do your best to look after it. My wife's old car is completely dented so it's only a matter of time. Even other car I've had for 10 years I really care for and look after, has mysterious scratches, some dents etc. I haven't done them but obviously someone else has hit the car, bumped it or whatever.

I guess it's a similar to logic to mobile phones. They cost more than a desktop pc and are twice as fragile yet people just walk around with them. Not a matter of if, but when.

Reactions: father_of_6
Now I own a tesla I look closer at thr cars. Literly every tesla I've seen, in every model the wheels are rashed to some degree, from light scratches to completely minced.

The fact the wheels are mostly painted dark shows them up, makes it even more pronounced.
The problem is that Tesla keeps using wheels where the tires don't stick out enough to protect the rims. You'd think they would have at least designed the Aero Wheels to completely cover the rims on the 18" wheels. I've rarely ever curbed my wheels in other vehicles in many decades of driving. Then after getting my first Tesla a Model 3, I curbed a wheel after a few years of ownership and then two more wheels after that. Thankfully I then put Rimetrix wheel covers on the car, which actually saved me from another curbing event. With my new Model Y Performance I'm replacing the wheels so this will be less likely to happen again.

The problem is that Tesla keeps using wheels where the tires don't stick out enough to protect the rims. You'd think they would have at least designed the Aero Wheels to completely cover the rims on the 18" wheels. I've rarely ever curbed my wheels in other vehicles in many decades of driving. Then after getting my first Tesla a Model 3, I curbed a wheel after a few years of ownership and then two more wheels after that. Thankfully I then put Rimetrix wheel covers on the car, which actually saved me from another curbing event. With my new Model Y Performance I'm replacing the wheels so this will be less likely to happen again.
What about fitting a wider tyre that protrudes beyond the lip of the rims?

Reactions: Scubamikey
I park so carefully…last in the row if possible and as far from the other car as possible…if they have a baby seat in the back, I will move on…don’t want to park next to a fat person, they need room and their door needs to open wide…and stay away from two door cars…wider doors are a pain

Fully understand the frustration and grief from that first rash. The first week I owned my Geness GV80 I hit a curb and destroyed one rim and two tires. I was sick and very angry with myself for weeks. I have now rashed three wheels at last count and the only time I notice them is when I wash the car.

Reactions: Resist
My '21 MYLR had rims that protruded past the rubber as you mention. However my '23 MYP came with Michelin tires that have a little rubber edge that sticks out about an 1/8th of an inch past the rims. I don't know how much protection it'll provide I hope I don't find out.

Didn't do anything for me on my 20" Induction wheels. In fact it took a chunk of rubber out of the tire..

I've got lots of curb rash, and this is the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned.

Wasn't happy the first time it happened, but got over it quickly. Perspective helps. All of these things end up on the ash heap of eternal insignificance.

Ultimately, it's just 2 tons of metal / plastic / etc that carry our lazy butts around so we don't have to walk. I mean literally, the first thing I do when getting into my car is put my butt on it. So... let the curbs have their fun.

So I ordered my Y a couple of weeks ago.

I wanted White - my wife’s first choice
Black interior - Better for the kids
The smaller wheels - better range, and curb protection
AWD LR

What was available and en route was:

Grey (my first coloured choice!)
White interior - I like it. I think it’s fresh. We will get seat covers.
21” turbine wheels or wherever they are called.

The car had 10km on it
The very next day, less than 24 hours later and 35km on the the clock, my wife bumped into a curb and marked a front wheel. She’s said it wasn’t bad. It’s gouged! 😡

I’m pissed! I’m getting it fixed but come on!

She knows to leave a good distance to curb
The car has freaking sensors
I’m so frustrated.

Thinking ot getting a silver 19” winter package that’ll hard the marks better then I can fix the damaged wheel.
That's why I don't buy new cars. But your frustration is understandable. It's good to keep everything pristine. The trade off is the continues worrying.

Reactions: easyev
Yes, I once flung a coupe door on another car. It was an accident and after I apologized to the driver he and I both left without incident.
That's not an accident, it's a choice when you fling open a door without concern for the vehicle next to you. And accident is say when the wind pushed the door our of your hand and it went flinging into the other cars door. It's cute how so many people confuse a choice as being an accident, so it lessens the intent. With that said it a choice to do something doesn't always mean the end result had malice in mind.

That's not an accident, it's a choice when you fling open a door without concern for the vehicle next to you. And accident is say when the wind pushed the door our of your hand and it went flinging into the other cars door. It's cute how so many people confuse a choice as being an accident, so it lessens the intent. With that said it a choice to do something doesn't always mean the end result had malice in mind.

One could argue that they misjudged the correct amount of pressure to apply to the door for opening it. The term "accident" might be applicable.

Perhaps the car was new to them and the door opened much easier than they were used to. It could still be called carelessness, subjectively.

I'm just arguing semantics I guess. I should go do something more useful.

One could argue that they misjudged the correct amount of pressure to apply to the door for opening it. The term "accident" might be applicable.

Perhaps the car was new to them and the door opened much easier than they were used to. It could still be called carelessness, subjectively.

I'm just arguing semantics I guess. I should go do something more useful.
I guess you are forgetting that it's a choice to open a car door and with that comes a responsibility to control that door. Maybe one day all vehicles will be auto opening with sensors to prevent them from hitting other things, like the rear doors on the Model X, but until them we are always responsible in controlling where we park and how we open a car door.