TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MCU fails for the second time

Discussion in 'Model S' started by andyrebele, Aug 10, 2017.

1. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

This was the case for me, I just never realized the potential issues and outcome. I've had multiple instances, to include while driving, when the center screen either froze or rebooted. Had I known what was happening at the time then I absolutely would have brought it to the attention of the service teams, to include my appointments for other warranty repairs or my pre-purchased annual service plan.

2. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

If it helps, here's what I paid in January for a new MCU replacement on my 2013 S40:

SERVICE MCU KIT - NORTH AMERICA (1452455-00-C) $2078.00
    Labor: $0
    Price Adjustments: $0
    No Core "return fee", They agreed they had to give it me.
    Bonus Upgrade to LTE (old MCU was 3G).

• Informative x 1
  3. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

The reality is that Tesla can charge whatever they want for their parts so long as the market will bear it. If there's a core charge on the quote, then that's the difference of what you pay letting them keep the part vs. exercising your right to get your old part back. I suspect Tesla is inexperienced in the whole out of warranty car repair world and never expected people to ask for their old MCU back so never considered needing a core charge. I'm not surprised that the new core charge is above and beyond past MCU replacement costs, because they were probably ignorant of the law and expected to always get the old MCU to refurbish.

I've always seen a core charged added as an extra fee and refunded upon return of the core when you buy a part separately, but usually left off a repair quote unless you've told them you want your parts back.

• Like x 1
  4. P100D_Me

P100D_Me Member

If only they weren't so locked down then, I bet the aftermarket could do the same thing for a few hundred dollars.

• Like x 1
  5. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

Summary of what Tesla is saying:
    • The MCU is covered under the "New Vehicle Limited Warranty" for 4 years or 50,000 miles (note: there is no specific mention of the MCU).
    • If you buy a replacement MCU then that replacement MCU is covered by the "Tesla Parts, Body & Paint Repair Limited Warranty" which specifies that the MCU is covered for a period of 4 years (note: the MCU is specifically referenced and there is no mileage component).
    • The service center is telling me that my MCU is not covered under either warranty becase I am over 50,000 miles even though I am under 4 years of ownership.
    • They have not explained why the warranty periods differ for the MCU under the two different warranties.
    • They have yet to acknowledge my statement of screen freezing and rebooting earlier during my ownership expeirence, which was within the warranty period.
    • I pre-paid for the annual service and had the services performed on time and on schedule so I asked why they never looked at the diagnostic logs for the MCU as part of the service history. I was told they didn't have the capability to do so.
    • They are also telling me that I don't have any other options and that they refuse to escalate my request outside of the service center.
    • With regard to a replacement MCU they explained that there are no longer any new MCU units available for my S60 so only remanufactured units are available.
    • The remanufactured MCU is a gen 2 unit indicated by the "-D" at the end of the part number.
    Bottom line, if you *even think* that you have a developing MCU issue (reboot or freezing) then you should document with the service center and have them take a look and replace while it is in the warranty period. I don't know how to best spread the word with owners but this all seems like an avoidable ownership cost if people know to look for this.

• Informative x 2
  6. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

My 2nd yellow MCU was replaced with part# 1098010-00-D. It is most definitely not what people refer to as MCU2. It might be the 2nd generation MCU as far as Tesla is concerned, after the older 3G based MCU, but it is not the Intel based MCU that people commonly refer to as MCU2. Ask them specifically if it is the Intel based CPU unit and if you will have access to the newer games released for cars manufactured after 3/2018 and get it in writing if they say yes.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

That sucks. Though I had a feeling that would happen eventually. I'm also not holding my breath for a MCU2 retrofit.

I think a lot of people report reboots and freezing occasionally. The symptoms of my MCU failing were corrupt fonts, some modules not working (e.g. Bluetooth, 3G) and sound effects failing (turn signal). Ultimately the Black Screen of Death.

They can easily grep the logs for filesystem errors. That would probably be the best evidence of imminent failure prior to warranty expiration. Though I have a feeling they won't honor such requests.

8. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

I also had issues with my Bluetooth (I stopped trying to pair to use the car's speakerphone) and had missing sound effects with the turn signal. It's confusing at first when it happens while you are driving.

9. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

I just picked up my car and will post more detail later.

Going to teslatap.com/mcu in the car it comes up as an MCU1 unit and I see the following list of games (I don't remember seeing these but I never really looked): Chess, 2048, Asteroids, Lunar Lander, Missile Command, Centipede, and Super Breakout. I also now have LTE.

Let me know if there is any other additional information I am able to look for to try to figure out what MCU model was installed.

10. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

That's definitely what the community refers to as MCU1. It's important to realize that how the community refers to revisions and how Tesla refers to them may be very different. It may well be their second revision of the MCU as far as they are concerned, but the community refers to the ARM MCUs as MCU1 and the Intel MCUs as MCU2. Those are MCU1 games, MCU2 is required for Beach Buggy and likely Cuphead as well.

11. BrettS

BrettS Member

Looks like I might have just gotten really lucky here. Over the past two or three weeks I’ve had the screen on my 2015 S60 randomly get stuck in a boot loop three times. It would just show the T logo, then a black screen, then back to the T logo over and over again. This would go on for more than 20 minutes and I could eventually get it back by holding both scroll wheels, but it would take several attempts. I had a service appointment scheduled for this and a few other minor issues.

Then last week Wednesday I lost cellular connectivity. Initially I didn’t think much of it as sometimes I drive through dead zones and I’ll lose connectivity for a short time, but after 15 or 20 minutes it still hadn’t come back, which was unusual. I decided to hold the scroll wheels to reboot the screen and see if that would help, but when I did the screen went black and stayed black. I spent some time trying to restart it with the scroll wheels, but it was completely dead. Luckily when it happened I was only about 10 minutes from the service center, so I just brought it right to them. I got notified this evening that the car is ready to be picked up. Looks like they replaced the MCU with a remanufactured one. I’m hoping this came with an LTE upgrade as well, but I guess I won’t know until I pick up the car in the morning.

But the reason I said that I got really lucky is that I have less than 1000 miles remaining on my extended warranty. It failed just barely in time.

The other odd thing that happened was that when I dropped the car off at the service center on Wednesday evening the battery was at about 40%. I happened to click on the app on Thursday morning and discovered that the battery was down to 13%. It showed that the AC was running (and apparently had been running all night) and I got an error when I tried to turn it off with the app. I called the service center to let them know and they did confirm that the AC was running and they were also unable to shut it off using any normal methods, so they wound up pulling a fuse to stop it so that it wouldn’t kill the battery before they were able to start working on it. They also charged it since it was so low.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. BrettS

BrettS Member

Just to follow up, I picked up the car and it was upgraded to LTE, so that makes me happy at least:)

• Like x 4