Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am wondering, how many people feel comfortable keeping their Tesla past the warranty period, given the costs and likelihood of repairs? I am not sure I dare with a Model X.

Methinks I will get rid of mine either one year before the eight years of the ext warranty expire to use as a selling prop, or just drive and repair until battery pack fails, short of that major swap all repairs will be much cheaper than getting a new car.

I think the problem comes in when you loss access to anti-lock brakes and a few other items. I appears my screen is failing again. I am having to reboot it weekly. When it goes out I loss regen, and a host of other "safety" options like anti-like brakes. The list of what is not working comes up on the instrument cluster. This last weekend it was difficult to get it to reset. Took several tries and getting in and out of the car. The AC was left on the entire excursion while we looked at houses so it couldn't have been over heating.

I made a service appointment two weeks ago but they canceled it and sent my logs upstream to have them reviewed. Who knows which will come first. Them finding the issue or it crashing completely.

Tesla fixes it under warranty so I don't know if this "probe" will go anywhere. I don't see how you can blame a company for an out of warranty issue. The customer always has the right to sell the car. Like right now I can just sell my 2013 Model S but it is cheaper to fix than to buy a new one. I'll probably end up getting a Y next year anyway as the 8 year warranty will be running out.

(edit) It gets replaced under the 4 year warranty.

And you are basing loss of access to anti-lock brakes and a few other items? What items? There's been no reports here or on TM about loss of brakes or anti-locking brakes. Where are you getting that? I don't buy that you are losing anti-lock brakes, but you don't have to prove it to me. But go ahead, I don't think anyone else is going to ask you to prove it. Sounds cool.

This probe will be useful. It will define some things once and for all and we can use it to measure what is safety issues and what are not. We waste too much time talking about things that should be covered and we don't really know the facts. We speculate about some things we think are facts because they makes sense. This is the feds. It does not have to make sense to them. But it will take a couple of years for the probe because they will have to dig to find the information that they want. There's not a lot of cars experiencing this problem. And its not taken any lives as far as we know.

I agree with you when you say "I don't see how you can blame a company for an out of warranty issue". I think a few too many people have been so surprised with how little out of pocket maintenance we've had to pay that now the believe it will never need any and they are offended that they have to pay for anything. Just human nature. These are not bad people. The price of the MCU/eMMC is currently 32% of what it was two years ago for the same repair. Did you get that? Its 32% of, not down 32% - yes, 1/3 of. I also predict its going to get better. And I also think soon people will be able to skip/get off MCU1 and completely avoid the problem by upgrading to MCU2. Its worth the current $2500 Tesla charges. And considering its not just a better eMMC its also loaded with benefits and value that MCU1 will never have. Paying twice the $2500 price is better than once paying $1300 for MCU1 repair.

And I believe the price of the MCU2 upgrade will come down. Its going to take a while - maybe 6 months or more, but I believe it will come down. How? How can I say that? Because if you notice nearly everything parts wise comes down in price from Tesla. I am not talking about cars, I am talking about parts. In 2013, a replacement fob was $365.00 Now, about $150. In 2013, I installed electric folding mirrors on my S. Cost me $1500 for the pair. In 2018, I had to pay for a replacement, cost was $450 for one. Unlikely most manufacturers Tesla brings the prices down the more they buy or make. We fail miserably to acknowledge or appreciate this from Tesla. (atta-boy Tesla, for bring prices down.) As they work out the bugs to install MCU2 in '15 thru '12's people paying for MCU1 repairs will shift to MCU2 repairs and as more MCU2 are made/purchased by Tesla, the cheaper they will get and be even more attractive to folks needing the repair. If the MCU probe is not over with by then, it will just fade, because the number with the issue will be insignificant in the bigger count. And I doubt the probe will force Tesla to compensate people voluntarily moving to MCU2. Why, why you ask? Its an upgrade. We are asking for the upgrade. Its not a replacement for a bad/faulty part, its an upgrade. There. I am done. Gonna go wash my baby (the car).

The S just had its 8th birthday. Prior to 2012 and even as late as 2014 or 2015, there's just not enough history for what parts fail regularly to develop an extended warranty plan. Okay, but 2015, we knew the eMMC was sucky, but its understandable, and its going to get better - is getting better.

In that first two-three years, Tesla replaced battery packs and Drive units and other stuff without question. The unit they put back in was not just working, but was better quality than the one that they took out. They learned what was wrong, what need fixing, replacing and tweaking before it went back in - quickly. Better and quicker than other manufacturers have traditionally improved products. So exclude those things that they know need to be better and they make them better. Get those things out of the way, and I believe by about the time the S is 10 years old Tesla will offer (maybe in co-partnership) with another company an specific component coverage agreement to cover things like batteries, drive trains, inverters and chargers. We will have the option to pay a fee and if one of these things fail, we will get a newer/remanu improved component. The objective is for the good of the fleet. I believe Tesla will want more cars on the road vice in junkyards. They don't want to re-certify salvage cars, or wrecked cars back on the road. But if it needs stuff like I noted, we will be able to get it there. Or, or, Tesla will sell parts needed by rebuilder partners to keep our cars on the road.

We will see. In the meantime, HAPPY BIRTHDAY S. I LOVE YOU !!!

I get a robocall about 3 times a week trying to sell me an extended warranty. My Tesla is going to be 8 years old in May, so I may want to price one of those plans......

FWIW, I have been waiting 3 weeks to get a replacement for my MCU. Ranger service was supposed to replace it on 7/16 but they just texted me that there is a shortage of parts, and they kicked the can out to 7/30 instead. Perhaps someone should start a database like we had with orders, and EV-FW updates using the age, VIN, miles , and other demographics , and track when the part fails, and how long Tesla takes to fix it. I'm not so bummed that a computer part fails, those things happen. Waiting forever on a part, when it really ought to be available is harder to understand.

If the wait is so long, they should substitute MCU2 for the unavailable parts. That way they would be harvesting more MCU1s to refurbish as well.

Reactions: Sudre
It was just confirmed that I will need to replace my MCU again. (2013 S) I'll have to schedule that with the service center. I guess in Missouri the rangers can not replace the screens since the ranger told me I would have to schedule it at the service center. I have budgeted to replace the MCU about every 3 years. I setup a service after the first required reboot because I knew what was happening. HOPEFULLY that is enough time for them to get the part ordered since it was a month ago. I am rebooting weekly now. They have been monitoring it remotely to figure out what was wrong.

Basically I am paying about $1000-$2000 a year on average in maintenance. I also have another door handle to replace. That puts Tesla's on par with other cars IMO.... well except Toyotas. Those thing never die and only require an oil change once a year after warranty. It is still annoying tho. EVs are less maintenance TIME but the same maintenance cost. That's just how new tech is tho.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
It was just confirmed that I will need to replace my MCU again. (2013 S) I'll have to schedule that with the service center. I guess in Missouri the rangers can not replace the screens since the ranger told me I would have to schedule it at the service center.

I was told by the Tesla call center person that some areas have Rangers that can change out the MCU, and others don't. The Ranger people told me I could arrange to have my car flatbedded to Dallas or Ft Worth (350 miles) or done by a Ranger. So I chose Ranger.

Tesla sends me an email twice a week with the parts status. I got one last night showing no part available, so I wasn't shocked to hear my Ranger appt was rescheduled.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sudre
It was just confirmed that I will need to replace my MCU again. (2013 S) I'll have to schedule that with the service center. I guess in Missouri the rangers can not replace the screens since the ranger told me I would have to schedule it at the service center. I have budgeted to replace the MCU about every 3 years. I setup a service after the first required reboot because I knew what was happening. HOPEFULLY that is enough time for them to get the part ordered since it was a month ago. I am rebooting weekly now. They have been monitoring it remotely to figure out what was wrong.

Basically I am paying about $1000-$2000 a year on average in maintenance. I also have another door handle to replace. That puts Tesla's on par with other cars IMO.... well except Toyotas. Those thing never die and only require an oil change once a year after warranty. It is still annoying tho. EVs are less maintenance TIME but the same maintenance cost. That's just how new tech is tho.

We offer a upgraded chip that should last much longer, also Tesla has updated the software to help the eMMC's survive.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Here in the Sf Bay Area they don't want to do the MCU repair/replacement as a mobile/ranger repair as the firmware/software download/upload & reinstall takes a bit of time and the ranger is sitting there twiddling his/her thumbs. FWIW I scheduled an MCU replacement about 3 weeks ago and parts were ordered. My mobile repair was switched to my local Service Center. I am 3 weeks in after parts ordering and have been receiving automated e-mail updates on parts availability twice a week. The Bluetooth cable is in, the MCU1 is not.My appointment was to be in a couple of days. I just got a text from local service to reschedule me 3 weeks out as the remanufactured MCU1 was still not available (and I am pretty close to Fremont). We are hoping to have the part 6 weeks after order.

Here in the Sf Bay Area they don't want to do the MCU repair/replacement as a mobile/ranger repair as the firmware/software download/upload & reinstall takes a bit of time and the ranger is sitting there twiddling his/her thumbs. FWIW I scheduled an MCU replacement about 3 weeks ago and parts were ordered. My mobile repair was switched to my local Service Center. I am 3 weeks in after parts ordering and have been receiving automated e-mail updates on parts availability twice a week. The Bluetooth cable is in, the MCU1 is not.My appointment was to be in a couple of days. I just got a text from local service to reschedule me 3 weeks out as the remanufactured MCU1 was still not available (and I am pretty close to Fremont). We are hoping to have the part 6 weeks after order.

Are you able to charge your battery ? I'm not, so my battery is rapidly headed to zero.

What are you doing about that ?