Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU fails for the second time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Real time update:
  • Escalating to request Tesla replace MCU at no cost.
  • If I pay for the replacement it would be a new 2nd generation MCU, I was told they've had a retrofit to cross install in to 1st generation MCU cars for about a month.
  • The warranty period for the new MCU would be one year.
  • Tesla wants to charge ~$250 on top of the cost of the new MCU to give me my old MCU.
This might be the first report I've seen of upgrading MCU1 to MCU2.

Reactions: dragonxt
Real time update:
  • Tesla wants to charge ~$250 on top of the cost of the new MCU to give me my old MCU.

$2200 to replace a $22 chip... I've lived the pain. However, if you're able to upgrade to an MCU2; that pill might not be as bitter.

You might want to check with your state's Board of Automotive Repair. In California, CBAR requires them to give it back to you if you request it, and a core discount/warranty wasn't applied. I got mine back without charge, though I had to argue with them about it for a few days (and print out the CBAR rules). It was worth it... they have some value even dead.

Unfortunately, I expect this thread will grow exponentially in the near future as a wave of failures from 'memory wear' starts to affect older vehicles. Class action?

Reactions: FlatSix911
Repair quote is for a remanufactured MCU, which is not what I was told it would be by the service center so I've asked for an updated repair estimate with a new MCU. For reference the remanufactured MCU they initially quoted is MCU,MDLX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN(1098010-00-D).

Edit to add: I'm also pretty sure this is a Gen 1 MCU model number based on what I'm reading in the forums. If that's the case then disregard what I was told on the phone about the next gen.

Last edited:
Peter Gruber of Gruber Motors in Phoenix AZ mentioned in an interview that they plan to offer a service to refurbish MCUs.

My 2015 S85D had the screen go black, and it had not done its nightly scheduled charge.

After driving a few miles with no controls or defogger, it started up fine when I got back into the car. It is now charging and running fine, but is this a sign of impending chip failure?

GSP

Peter Gruber of Gruber Motors in Phoenix AZ mentioned in an interview that they plan to offer a service to refurbish MCUs.

My 2015 S85D had the screen go black, and it had not done its nightly scheduled charge.

After driving a few miles with no controls or defogger, it started up fine when I got back into the car. It is now charging and running fine, but is this a sign of impending chip failure?

GSP
Any chance you are still under warranty? If so then I'd get it checked and replaced. From what I've been reading about the MCU (grudgingly as I don't have an interest but I'm trying to be an informed consumer) it's not going to get better for you. As I think back I had more than one instance spread out over time where the MCU would reboot or freeze while I was driving but I didn't give it a second thought as everything came back on line.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I've never seen an MCU replacement come with a core charge associated. If they want to charge a core charge, they can, though I'd expect the MCU price to be reduced significantly to account for it... It also needs to be specifically called out as a core charge. They can't just charge you to keep what belongs to you because they feel like it, especially so when charging you full price for the replacement. (To be clear, your current MCU belongs to you. You are buying a new one from them for $XXXX. Both belong to you. This is different than agreeing to give them your old MCU in exchange for a new one for $XXXX-$YYY core charge.)

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm trying to reduce the cost to get my car fixed, they are calling it out as an additional expense.

If they remove it they will probably just up the price of the MCU by the same amount. (Unless you are agreeing to let them keep the failed one.) And as far as getting the cost reduced the cost of a new vs. a remanufactured MCU should be more, so asking them to do that isn't keeping the cost down. (Unless that is another thing Tesla hasn't caught on to yet...)

Reactions: Akikiki
I've never seen an MCU replacement come with a core charge associated. If they want to charge a core charge, they can, though I'd expect the MCU price to be reduced significantly to account for it... It also needs to be specifically called out as a core charge. They can't just charge you to keep what belongs to you because they feel like it, especially so when charging you full price for the replacement. (To be clear, your current MCU belongs to you. You are buying a new one from them for $XXXX. Both belong to you. This is different than agreeing to give them your old MCU in exchange for a new one for $XXXX-$YYY core charge.)

I'll take any advice I can get here, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not a car guru.

There are two different expense group lines on the repair estimate, summarized here:

1. Media Control Unit (Touchscreen) (Remove & Replace) MCU,MDLX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN(1098010-00-D)
2. MCU Core Charge(1496757-00-A)

• Informative
Reactions: erik_k
If they remove it they will probably just up the price of the MCU by the same amount. (Unless you are agreeing to let them keep the failed one.) And as far as getting the cost reduced the cost of a new vs. a remanufactured MCU should be more, so asking them to do that isn't keeping the cost down. (Unless that is another thing Tesla hasn't caught on to yet...)

I want them to remove the core cost and then they keep the bad MCU to refurbish, we're on the same page and saying the same thing.

With regard to the pricing, I was told that they were going to install a new MCU but the quote was for a refurbished MCU.

It's been a struggle to get what little information I have and to get my car in working order. The whole scenario and every step of this experience is unbelievable: eMMC at 80% of life expectancy would cause MCU to fail, the car would be inoperable because the MCU failed, the repair wouldn't be covered by warranty, what they plan to do to fix the car, the cost to do the repairs. My wife just keeps asking, "how much did we pay for that car?" So I appreciate everyone's help here.

They remanufacture them, so the only ewaste is the eMMC chip itself and whatever incidentals used while replacing it.
As much as possible it would benefit all MCU1 users to keep and trash/destroy these old MCU1 units. So long as Tesla can reman them they have little incentive to build a retrofit MCU2/3.

If Tesla can no longer supply reman MCU1 units because they’re all gone/destroyed, only THEN will Tesla be forced to offer a retrofit upgrade. They cannot make new MCU1, but so long as they keep getting repairable units they’ll just keep offering reman MCU1s

I'll take any advice I can get here, I'm not a lawyer and I'm not a car guru.

The core (your old part) is usually applied as a credit; which they deduct from the cost of the new part (and get to keep the core/old part). i.e. They should be paying YOU for the old part if they want to keep it.

They shouldn't be charging $250 to hand you your old part which I assume you have the right to have (again check your state vehicle board rules).

What is the cost of your quote? If you're paying anything close to $2000 for a re-manufactured MCU, I'd make a fuss... that is the cost new.

It's been a struggle to get what little information I have and to get my car in working order. The whole scenario and every step of this experience is unbelievable: eMMC at 80% of life expectancy would cause MCU to fail, the car would be inoperable because the MCU failed, the repair wouldn't be covered by warranty

The repair would be covered by the warranty if you are still in the warranty period. But if the time and/or mileage limits of your warranty have passed then it makes since that it wouldn't be covered by your expired warranty.

Reactions: Akikiki
What is the cost of your quote? If you're paying anything close to $2000 for a re-manufactured MCU, I'd make a fuss... that is the cost new.

Total quote for a remanufactured MCU if I keep the old MCU is $2,443.99:

1. Media Control Unit (Touchscreen) (Remove & Replace) MCU,MDLX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN(1098010-00-D) --> $2,070 for parts & labor
2. MCU Core Charge(1496757-00-A) --> $250 for me to keep the old MCU, they later told me it should have been $500 (they noted this in the quote)

Subtotal is $2,320
Tax is $123.99
Total $2,443.99

The repair would be covered by the warranty if you are still in the warranty period. But if the time and/or mileage limits of your warranty have passed then it makes since that it wouldn't be covered by your expired warranty.

I've had the car just shy of four years but I've driven just over 53,000 miles. I purchased an inventory car so it already had mileage when I bought it, the 53,000 miles are from me.