Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1: Black center screen / mcu failure caused by a faulty navigation MicroSD card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3. Install Ubuntu on the laptop (start-up your PC while holding ESC and POWER button on the laptop and select in BIOS Ubuntu install. (You can also run it directly of the USB stick if you want.)
Not necessary to install - with the desktop iso, you can click "Try ubuntu". With the server iso, don't install, just do alt-f2 to select another virtual console

7. Format partition (select left wheel sign direclty below the volumes bar) into EXT4 Linux
You don't need to format the partition, since you're going to repartition the sdcard in step 11 when you run the nav-sdcard-format.sh script.

Just out of curiostity, can a 32GB sdcard be formatted in 2x 16GB and will this work in a MCU 1? or does it always need to be 2x 8GB partitions? (Bit of a waist of a 32GB card)
Actually, I think it's a good idea - the "wasted" space on a 32G card leaves lots of unused blocks that the flash controller should be able to use for bad block reallocation.

Strange, I toke out the SDcard and put it in my Linux PC slot. And to my surprise there was just one big 16GB free space on the disc. Isn't that odd?
And after installing the 32GB sdcard I still get the warning MCU-w007, navigation not available, service required, (obviously!), navigation information not found......

Last edited:
Strange, I toke out the SDcard and put it in my Linux PC slot. And to my surprise there was just one big 16GB free space on the disc. Isn't that odd?
And after installing the 32GB sdcard I still get the warning MCU-w007, navigation not available, service required, (obviously!), navigation information not found......

You sure car has proper WiFi? Downloading nav maps could take op to a day. This process would be visible on the screen near software version

Well I got the car right next to the local home wifi with excellent reception.
Reseted the MCU several times but the warning triangle on top of the screen stays right where it is.....
Software indicates :
v11.0 (2022.8.10.5 b94e08b2c3be)
and navigation indicates:
EU-2022.12-13877
So I interpret this as being the latest nav database (where ever that may be stored?)
And finally indicating:
Your car software is up-to-date as of today.

Yes, that is odd. Mine had 2x 8 GB partitions with squashfs file systems. One partition was OK and the second heavily corrupted due to the card failing. Maybe your card has failed to the point you don't even see partitions.

My understanding is that if you're not due for a map update it won't initiate a download even when the SD card is empty. You have to call Tesla and ask them to push a map update to you.

Another option is to try to read the old card and write to the new one. Look into ddrescue in Linux. It is absolutely magic in how it can read data from a corrupted drive. It was able to read all the data off my corrupted original SD card.

and navigation indicates:
EU-2022.12-13877
So I interpret this as being the latest nav database (where ever that may be stored?)

That's a weakness in how Tesla implemented this. The actual nav data is on the SD card, but the information of what is on the card is stored on the main storage drive (eMMC). So now you have the situation that the MCU thinks it has maps but when it tries to access them on your new SD card there's nothing.

Funny, I installed the old "corrupted" SDcard in my macbook and there are the two partitions! Unfortunately disk utilities isn't able to read the sdcard so a copy isn't possible in this way. I'll probably will have to go back to ubuntu to figure it out.
Somewhere earlier in this thread there is a link to a nav file via google (navmicrosd_EU_2019.20_10428.bin to download) which is 16GB. How can this file be placed on an 8GB partition? I also read something about another file format squashfs which is in a smaller size? But there is no link unfortunately.

Last edited:
Funny, I installed the old "corrupted" SDcard in my macbook and there are the two partitions! Unfortunately disk utilities isn't able to read the sdcard so a copy isn't possible in this way. I'll probably will have to go back to ubuntu to figure it out.
Somewhere earlier in this thread there is a link to a nav file via google (navmicrosd_EU_2019.20_10428.bin to download) which is 16GB. How can this file be placed on an 8GB partition? I also read something about another file format which is in a smaller size? But there is no link unfortunately.
Normally car will download files after a new microSD with proper partitions is inserted. Just give it a few days, otherwise you can ask Loek if he can give you eu 2022.12.13877 or ask Tesla to push a map update
Will that turned out to be the easiest way. I put in the newly formatted SDcard, phoned Tesla Netherlands, got the local servicestation on the line ("You put in a new sdcard yourself? Eh yeah? Never heard anyone do that, well have I got news for you") ....anyway for €6 they uploaded the database which was finished in 3 ½ hours and off I go....

• Helpful
Reactions: zwede
Just want to say a quick thanks for this thread as I leveraged it to help a Service Advisor and Technician when MCU2 was the only solution. Noticed something was fishy when they mentioned, "something is wrong with the system and we need to upgrade your MCU".

So did they just end up replacing the navigation SD card.
We argued for a bit and the Service Advisor stated I would be on the hook for the SD card if it doesn't work. Lo and behold, replacing the navigation SD card worked perfectly. Funny how the Service Advisor and Technician didn't read the service bulletin for this item.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230104-183355.jpg
    Screenshot_20230104-183355.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Screenshot_20230104-183330.jpg
    Screenshot_20230104-183330.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 104
Thank you all for sharing such a valuable information!
Currently, I have dying SDCARD (map update stops at 90% and can't proceed further). I plan to replace SDCARD myself.

Could you share navmicrosd_EU-2019.20-10482.bin with me? Original file is not served anymore. I need this exact version, because it has maps of Ukraine.

Thanks for the helpful (while at times confusing) information in this thread. My 2013 model S needed frequent rebooting. I started to try to reach the SD slot from just the right side of the dash, but ended up doing both sides and pulling loose the whole unit.

The best tip I can give is to widen the access slot with a needle-nose pliers. It makes it much easier to pull and reinstall the SD card. (See attached)

On my Mac, I was able to clone an image of the old card (a couple of tries) and copy it back to a new, faster 32GB SD card. I found this very helpful article on cloning. It works fine with the Linux format because it's doing block copying. You have to be comfortable with using the terminal, though.

After reinstalling everything and rebooting, the Nav system downloaded data for about 2 hours. It's working as it should so far.

Attachments

• 1695932760525.jpeg
    1695932760525.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Hello everyone,
Maybe someone can help me... I've done everything according to the instructions. When I run the script the following appears:
Usage:
nav-sdcard-format.sh [option] [dev]

Partition a block device into two 7.9GB (7.34GiB) ext4 partitions
Means you need more than 16GB (30777312 Sector) on your device

option:
-h, --help display the help
-f, --force force repartitioning

dev:
Path to block device. Accept sdx, mmcblkx type devices.

It took me a long time to get to this point because I don't have a lot of knowledge. But now I don't know what to do..

First identify your sd card, you could do this by the lsblk command.
Then do the command: nav-sdcard-format.sh -f /dev/sdx (replace x with your sd card letter)
Warning: if you perform this on the wrong drive you could loose all your data, use very very very carefully!!
thank you so much. sometimes the solution is so close. I'm going to install the card now and I'm excited..

this is a great forum btw! I

I retrofitted the second charger in my pre-facelift some time ago and can give tips to anyone who is planning to do the same.

I also built a 12V lithium titanate battery and can also help. The battery should last at least 10-15 years and has a heater installed that is connected to the BMS, non-flammable. The battery only charged when it is warm enough, LTO don't like frost. Worked fine for more than 6 months

Reactions: DerbyDave