Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You left out the free option. All of those assume that you NEED to replace your MCU1. Most of them are running fine, and it costs nothing to maintain what you have.

I shelled out around $2500 for a stereo upgrade and I think it was totally worth it. I am fine with my "slow" MCU1. I will consider an upgrade if it fails, but preempting it is not worth the money to me.

Small correction shown in red

Most of them are running fine for now, and it costs nothing to maintain what you have, but ultimately you will need to do the 3rd party eMMC or the Infotainment Upgrade at some point.

You left out the free option. All of those assume that you NEED to replace your MCU1. Most of them are running fine, and it costs nothing to maintain what you have.

I shelled out around $2500 for a stereo upgrade and I think it was totally worth it. I am fine with my "slow" MCU1. I will consider an upgrade if it fails, but preempting it is not worth the money to me.
You have a 2015 MS according to your signature, meaning you have AP1, which in addition to all the syslogging did a lot of logging to collect high resolution maps and other "fleet learning" Tesla did. The problem with emmc being worn is not just that the MCU slows down, it's that it will die on you when you least expect it. With not much driving around nowadays this may not be a problem, as most of the time you'll be able to limp back home with a dead mcu, as long as you don't need a charge along the way and you don't need HVAC to heat, cool or defog your windshield. Personally I would not take a 2015 MS with original emmc on any road trip requiring outside charging, but of course it's all a matter of risk assessment and your risk tolerance, so each person makes their own decisions.

:D SO $11,500 extra for FM radio. Honestly, with streaming SiriusXM available on my phone, and all the streaming radio stations available on Spotify, TuneIn, and Slacker, I don't think I'd miss the AM/FM radio much.
I guess my beef is that we are not given a choice to keep the radio. I would much rather have a choice with an added reasonable time/labor/parts cost than be given no choice at all. Either take the MCU upgrade or no MCU upgrade... Fortunately, I didn't subscribe to lifetime XM radio option that I was close to doing about 6 months ago. Otherwise I'd really be bummed.

I guess my beef is that we are not given a choice to keep the radio. I would much rather have a choice with an added reasonable time/labor/parts cost than be given no choice at all. Either take the MCU upgrade or no MCU upgrade... Fortunately, I didn't subscribe to lifetime XM radio option that I was close to doing about 6 months ago. Otherwise I'd really be bummed.
MCU2 is an extra, Tesla never committed to providing it when you bought your MCU1 car. Complaining about it is like complaining to someone who's giving you a $100 that you don't want to take large bills. If you like it without the tuner, you buy it. If you don't, assume it was never offered in the first place if it makes you feel better.

We have an MCU1 and MCU2 vehicle - the biggest difference is the apps available while parked.

Until Tesla provides a replacement for the MCU1 radio (either an option to include the MCU2 radio with the Infotainment Upgrade, or a way to access streaming apps through the console display), we'll pass on the MCU2 upgrade.

If I’m not mistaken you can purchase the AM/FM tuner module. Not sure about interfacing the software with it

There was a writeup that indicated that, for substantially more work and if you have rooted the car, it is possible to retrofit the entire MCU2 kit into where an MCU1 once was.

The service centers, though, have a different procedure that does not include retrofitting the radio tuner. The new radio tuner only supports FM and has a different interface and different mounting location vs the MCU1 AM/FM tuner.

So -- in an effort to streamline the installation they disable the tuner. It is unlikely you'd be able to get a service center to go off-books and install the tuner *with* the MCU2.

So, in short, no you can not have the upgraded MCU without having the tuner disabled, unless you're already rooted and have the means to do the work yourself.

I'm baffled that tesla has not yet opened up access to these cars such that private garages can also do work on them. There are plenty of technical measures that could be taken to retain some large degree of control over what's done while still allowing garages to do things like replace MCUs or ICs or other tasks that otherwise need "root" access. If their goal is to be bigger than toyota, or bigger than GE, or bigger than Standard Oil and Toyota and GE together, they're going to need the ability to leverage existing car repair shops.

• Love
Reactions: croman
We have an MCU1 and MCU2 vehicle - the biggest difference is the apps available while parked.

Until Tesla provides a replacement for the MCU1 radio (either an option to include the MCU2 radio with the Infotainment Upgrade, or a way to access streaming apps through the console display), we'll pass on the MCU2 upgrade.

Either way (waiting for MCU1 to due or doing the Infotainment Upgrade now), you will eventually have to do it because MCU1 does have a short life span because of the eMMC issue, plus it may get slower with each software update. There is almost no chance that Tesla will have a radio option for the $2500 Infotainment Upgrade.

If MCU1 fails in a vehicle under the new vehicle or extended warranties, they should provide a replacement MCU1.

If they don't have any available, that will create an interesting problem for them to address - they could be forced to upgrade the radio if they replaced MCU1 with MCU2.

Will be interesting to see what happens when they run out of their stock of MCU1 replacements... (especially because they appear to be scrapping the MCU1's they are removing - and not refurbishing them...

If MCU1 fails in a vehicle under the new vehicle or extended warranties, they should provide a replacement MCU1.

If they don't have any available, that will create an interesting problem for them to address - they could be forced to upgrade the radio if they replaced MCU1 with MCU2.

Will be interesting to see what happens when they run out of their stock of MCU1 replacements... (especially because they appear to be scrapping the MCU1's they are removing - and not refurbishing them...

I'm not sure this will become a problem. I think they have plenty of stock to go around and cover them through existing warranty periods. Given that MCU1s stopped being installed in early-to-mid 2018, they only have a couple more years to cover before MCU1 completely falls out from under its warranty period.

And even in the scenario that you described, upgrading the radio to the new tuner would still leave folks without AM radio. Most warranties address these scenarios that they have to provide an equal or "greater" replacement should an equal no longer be available. They could argue that what MCU2 adds is greater than what you lose by not having MCU1. They would not necessarily be forced to upgrade the radio.

How about out-of-warranty? I'm nervous my MCU1 will fail and they won't let me upgrade to MCU2 if my VIN doesn't show as available for the upgrade yet. It would be disappointing to replace an MCU1 out-of-pocket with another MCU1.

Once I'm out of the B2B warranty I'll *probably* just try to get the swissbit chip installed and move on to worrying about when the air suspension will sag, or the (insert other random tesla part) fails.

The biggest hurdle is the turnaround time getting it done, and the PITA factor of taking the car apart. If I wanted to work on my car I'd have kept my allroad (which actually, I still have the allroad, but because I don't drive it anymore it doesn't break nearly as often).

Isn't this a false comparison anyway?
No old MCU1's are yet given the option to upgrade. By old, I mean out of warranty (by age).
I suppose there are some 2 yo high mileage MCU1s eligible for upgrade but not a lot.

What I want is a side by side speed comparison on youtube for MCU1 + new eMMC vs MCU2. Then it becomes a $500 now or try to limp by until Tesla makes it around to us....

I certainly have no desire to spend $2000 extra for Netflix. But speed has become an issue for me.

No old MCU1's are yet given the option to upgrade. By old, I mean out of warranty (by age).
I suppose there are some 2 yo high mileage MCU1s eligible for upgrade but not a lot.

What I want is a side by side speed comparison on youtube for MCU1 + new eMMC vs MCU2. Then it becomes a $500 now or try to limp by until Tesla makes it around to us....

I certainly have no desire to spend $2000 extra for Netflix. But speed has become an issue for me.
Do the emmc replacement now....when that dies (14 years or so), then I'm fairly sure Tesla will have run out of MCU1 to replace it with.

but truthfully, if you've got signs of an emmc dying, get it taken care of. If you lose your certs cause your emmc dies, then you'll have no option but to drop the 2k for a reman MCU1 with the awful hynix emmc. Don't wait.

Reactions: whitex

I just did the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade on my out-of-warranty 2017 S. The new MCU2 is so much better than the old. The browser is actually usable. Being able to natively watch videos while charging or waiting for my wife to quit shopping is great. Being able to view camera footage is great. The responsiveness of the entire interface is great. For me it was worth the money to upgrade.

Given the eMMC issues that are discussed in at least a dozen threads, I have concluded that it may be worth it just to get upgraded hardware that hopefully won’t have the eMMC issue, plus the four year warranty on those new parts. I previously was considering the expensive extended warranty but have concluded that since my battery, motor and new MCU2 will be covered another four years, I will skip the extended warranty and instead watch Netflix on my new screen while also enjoying the silky, smooth navigation screens. On the other hand $2500 ain’t cheap!
Did Tesla confirm the 4 year warranty for these two items and Since the replacement is only for MCU2 and AP 3.0, how does that cover the battery and motor?

I just did the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade on my out-of-warranty 2017 S. The new MCU2 is so much better than the old. The browser is actually usable. Being able to natively watch videos while charging or waiting for my wife to quit shopping is great. Being able to view camera footage is great. The responsiveness of the entire interface is great. For me it was worth the money to upgrade.
For $2,500 you could have replaced your emmc to make your MCU1 faster than new, and buy yourself an iPad Pro which I bet is faster than MCU2, plays more videos and games, and faster too. ;)