TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Media app forgetting presets

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by RogerHScott, Aug 22, 2016.

1. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

For the second time in the past two months or so my media app has decided to just "forget" one of my presets.
    This time, at least, the event seemed to be coincident with the computers getting into a fairly messed up state
    that required a reboot. Has anyone else noticed presets being forgotten? Btw, rebooting did not bring back the
    lost preset.

2. msnow

msnow Active Member

There's a thread on that somewhere. I think people were saying it was "user error" by swiping it or something. I've had it happen to me too but I'm not sure if it was me or a bug.

3. RogerHScott

Arguably if numerous people are being surprised by an unexpected and unwanted behavior that behavior is a bug in itself. There's
    this thing called the "principle of least surprise" :)

4. brucet999

brucet999 Active Member

Mine hasn't forgotten, but it has labeled all 5 AM presets as KNX. I know there have been a lot of media mergers, but there is still only one frequency per call sign.

5. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

That doesn't make it a bug, but more likely not a good user experience. Just two cents from someone who works with bugs and UX for a living.

6. zzzzdoc

zzzzdoc Member

Mine forgets Fox News every several weeks.

Coincidence? Conspiracy???

Hmmmm........

• Like x 1
  7. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Well it is a smart car after all, so makes perfect sense. :p

• Funny x 1
  8. RogerHScott

As proof that it is even-handed, in my case it forgot NPR :)

• Funny x 1
  9. CSFTN

CSFTN Member

If you (mistakenly) press the thumb wheel on the right side of the steering wheel, it removes the station you are currently listening to from the favorites list. Press it again, its back. Again, its gone, Etc.

10. msnow

msnow Active Member

Right but this is a new and different bug apparently.

11. cmorgan

cmorgan Member

Mine lost preset slacker and tune in stations across the most recent firmware update the car received. Hoping it doesn't happen on the next update too :)

12. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

I lost my TuneIn presets as well. I was hoping this might be tied to a fix for TuneIn login, but this was not the case. :(

13. RichardL

RichardL Member

I have seen this many times - and I was the poster in the 7.1 thread about this - I am certain it wasn't 'user error' on two or more occasions when I know that the station was tuned and preset when I exited the car, then several hours later it was gone and the radio tuned to the next higher preset.

No one touched the screen for any reason when exiting, nor when re-entering. No scroll wheels were touched either.

So there is definitely a bug where the station preset goes away - even if sometimes it is user error

• Informative x 1
  14. bob_p

bob_p Member

In addition to periodically losing the radio presets, I'm also seeing the media player is forgetting the last selected (AM/FM/XM) radio channel, so I have to manually retune almost every day, when shifting from USB to radio.

We aren't talking about a lot of data here... How hard can it be to have the media player save it's state periodically - and have the state restored when the media player is started the next time...

15. RogerHScott

C'mon, folks, let's be a little reasonable here. A media player with the sort of highly advanced 2008-era capabilities as that in
    the Model S can't be expected to be perfect. The mind boggles at the software complexity required to support six (6!) presets,
    not to mention the ability to linearly scroll through literally hundreds of XM channels. ;)

16. msnow

msnow Active Member

I know you're being sarcastic but if this problem is true I think what's going on here is while trying to fix one thing in MP Tesla broke something else.