Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Media Mistake - False] No FM, Bluetooth, or USB Audio either?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to a Swedish article Tesla have confirmed that FM radio will come to Model 3 in a upcoming update but not AM radio.

Who is actually surprised? FM tuners come standard in numerous multifuction processors, like you find in cell phones and tablets. It'd be silly to leave out the hardware.

That said, I fault Tesla for not communicating the status of the software stack better. Did they actually think that this A) wouldn't come out, or B) opponents wouldn't make a big deal out of it? I guess they thought that they could get the update out before the media found out.

Last edited:
According to a Swedish article Tesla have confirmed that FM radio will come to Model 3 in a upcoming update but not AM radio.

That said, I fault Tesla for not communicating the status of the software stack better.

It does have the hardware as multiple sources have reported and Tesla confirmed (plus the Monrooney sticker shows). However, while Joe Schmo public cannot get a Model 3 yet and the employees have all been asked to keep their car off the media, I am not surprised Tesla hasn't communicated this to the public (this doesn't mean I agree with it though).

I wouldn't buy the Model 3 if it didn't have FM radio. Yeah. I think I'm serious about that. I listen to FM. And I use the FM (via FM transmitter) for other media types that I can't pipe into the car by other means. Sounds like it does have FM though. Maybe just the software isn't final yet. It will be before they ship the first car to a non-employee.

But at least a "normal" FM radio (usually with CD player) comes standard on pretty much all German models. Even in those far below the Model 3 price range. They will nickel and dime you for all kinds of extra-comfort crap though, I quite agree with you on that.

Good thing that it's listed as a standard feature for the Model 3 then as well:

Standard Interior
  • FM/Internet streaming radio

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
I watched the OCDetailing video and the first Telsa delivery in Texas video and when they got to music and I heard "I can sync my phone but no Bluetooth audio option" my heart sank. That is 99.99% of the way I listen to music on my daily drive is streaming it through my phone. I mean they have to introduce stereo Bluetooth right? I mean they gotta! lol. I know at some point it will come, but for some reason, if it didn't that would be a deal breaker for me. Hopefully, it comes as soon as customer deliveries start going out. I mean in this day and age it would be like if they included a CD/Tape player combo with the Telsa and said "this is how you will play your music"
I am with you. This would be a deal breaker for me - so fingers crossed it's there before I am invited to configure. When I got my 2014 BMW, the Technology Package was a must-have because, at the time, bluetooth was part of that package. (I found it amazing that it wasn't standard - it is now, thankfully.) I listen to 99% of my music on Google Music via bluetooth.

Reactions: Gtosnipey
Another question for S and X owners. I listen to audio books a lot during my commute, currently using an old iPod shuffle and an aux cord. When I pause it and then restart it, it picks up right where I left off in the book. No going back to the beginning of the current track/chapter or anything like that. If I use a USB stick to do this does anyone know of it picks up right where you left off or if it goes back to the beginning of the current track?

I am with you. This would be a deal breaker for me - so fingers crossed it's there before I am invited to configure. When I got my 2014 BMW, the Technology Package was a must-have because, at the time, Bluetooth was part of that package. (I found it amazing that it wasn't standard - it is now, thankfully.) I listen to 99% of my music on Google Music via bluetooth.

Same here, 99% of my music is on google music, I haven't turned on the radio in I don't know how long. And going with the new iPhone X I will be switching over to Apple Music to test it out, still requiring the Bluetooth stereo. I am a huge music person and listen to it every day to and from work. It is a must-have.

Good thing that it's listed as a standard feature for the Model 3 then as well:

Standard Interior
  • FM/Internet streaming radio

Thanks for the info.
But why then are there several threads here postulating there won't be FM radio on the Model 3?
I wouldn't have believed that anyway, but with Tesla you never know for sure what they will next define as outdated/unnecessary tech.

Same here, 99% of my music is on google music, I haven't turned on the radio in I don't know how long.

Complete opposite here. I never listen to anything like "google music" (what is that anyway?). Why would one listen to a streaming based service in a car, that is constantly moving through different zones of mobile services with widely varying reception quality when you can listen to the radio that always gets perfect reception, nowadays even in tunnels? Plus doesn't something like google music create loads of data traffic/cost? And even if you have a flat rate, why the hassle?
I guess I am just too oldschool to understand the fascination with doing things online where there is absolutely no need for it. I want my CD player back. Oh wait, I have got one (plus a changer in the boot) in my car anyway. ;)
And even if I didn't want to use CDs, what's wrong with a USB stick or SD card? Negates the need for constant online traffic and is just as portable.

And if you don't use the radio in your car, how do you get the TP traffic information/speed trap warnings? Or is that something that doesn't exist in the US?

Last edited:
But why then are there several threads here postulating there won't be FM radio on the Model 3?

Because the media and many people following Tesla are jumping the gun on reporting details Tesla purposefully hasn't released yet on a car they cannot buy yet. Those of us who are familiar with how Tesla operates totally can see them releasing a software UI component for a feature afterwards. Now why they didn't have it ready, can't answer that, but they will have a FM ability.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Why would one listen to a streaming based service in a car, that is constantly moving through different zones of mobile services with widely varying reception quality when you can listen to the radio that always gets perfect reception, nowadays even in tunnels?

1 - No commercials/adverts
2 - I can select the music I want to hear and tailor the selection
3 - Where I live, I get near perfect cell service area and staticy radio even inside the city limits

Same here, 99% of my music is on google music, I haven't turned on the radio in I don't know how long.
1 - No commercials/adverts
2 - I can select the music I want to hear and tailor the selection
3 - Where I live, I get near perfect cell service area and staticy radio even inside the city limits

Re 1: we have stations that have almost no commercials
Re 2: we can choose a station based on what kind of music we want to hear
Re 3: over here, cell service coverage is quite bad in many areas, even along major Autobahn routes, and in rural areas anyway. It's frustrating any time I want to phone someone while driving somewhere. And that is the case in large parts of Germany. And LTE coverage is even worse than 3G. Radio otoh is perfect, even in the most remote rural areas.

Reactions: rxlawdude