Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Media stop comparing Bolt to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's an idea. How about you let him post whatever he feels is relevant on an open forum.

I never said he should not post here. Just pointed out a place where he vent which may be more effective

Here's an idea how about you let me post whatever I feel is relevant in an open forum?

See how that works?

I was trying to help him - his post is a message to the media and GM (pro tip: look at the title). He should contact them directly rather than hoping that they will see this post.

Last edited:
One main reason why the Bolt and Model 3 are not even in the same ballpark is because you can clearly tell Chevy designed the Bolt to be a service department money maker. Look at the "engine". They clearly designed it in such a way they can make a whole new service plan for EV's and still get stupid rich off it. I knew this was going to happen.

This is why I pre ordered the Model 3. Tesla has a super cleanly designed engine.
Just because you've never seen a similar cutaway view of the Model 3 doesn't mean it's systems are any simpler. They have the same general complexity as the Bolt EV. The Spark EV and Model S basically have the same service requirements. The Bolt EV and Model 3 will as well.

This does and will disappoint the Chevy dealers, for which I will shed no tear.

Reactions: dhrivnak
One main reason why the Bolt and Model 3 are not even in the same ballpark is because you can clearly tell Chevy designed the Bolt to be a service department money maker. Look at the "engine". They clearly designed it in such a way they can make a whole new service plan for EV's and still get stupid rich off it. I knew this was going to happen.

This is why I pre ordered the Model 3. Tesla has a super cleanly designed engine.
I replied to a similar concern from someone else on another thread.

The Bolt EV maintenance probably won't be any more than the Volt which basically just suggests periodic inspections for the first 100,000 miles plus an oil change every 2 years. Except that the Bolt won't need the oil changes.

My 5.5 year old Volt is at 125,000 miles with about 80,000 of those being from battery charging and it's only had 2 dealer oil changes in accordance with the GM maintenance schedule and is still using the original engine air filter. Total out of pocket expense of the oil changes was about $80. I did the inspections myself or got them free when getting a couple software updates.

Meanwhile, the reality is that many Tesla owners are paying Tesla hundreds of $$ per year for regular maintenance inspections. Chevy dealers love doing periodic inspections for money as well without having to do any actual service.

All of the things you see under the hood in the Bolt EV illustrations are also in a Model S today and will be in the Model 3 next year. Tesla just hides them under the black plastic covers around the frunk under the much larger hood area of the Model S. Those parts will also largely come from the same usual global auto parts suppliers used by every other car maker.

What do you imagine is under the Bolt EV hood that isn't going to be located somewhere in a Model 3?

Perhaps. Many might start thinking a bit more strategically and if a two car family have one for city + longer trips and one that's just a good city car.

We did something similar. We bought a Leaf...not going to be taking it on a long trip. I'm not sure a person who only needs a city car would pay a premium for the Bolt, though. After all, other cheaper BEVs exist. They don't all offer similar cargo capacity, but that's really the only advantage (if we're comparing city cars).

I never said he should not post here. Just pointed out a place where he vent which may be more effective

Here's an idea how about you let me post whatever I feel is relevant in an open forum?

See how that works?

I was trying to help him - his post is a message to the media and GM (pro tip: look at the title). He should contact them directly rather than hoping that they will see this post.

Didn't say you couldn't, just offered a suggestion, as well. It's pretty clear he wasn't trying to gain the attention of the media with his post, perhaps you tend to take things too literally?

How big of an issue is the charging network? Perhaps more perception than reality?

I know a number of Model S owners who've never once used a supercharger and many who've never charged anywhere but at home and this hasn't been an issue for them. Most fly for longer trips and only use cars around town. My neighbor has a Leaf that is their preferred car around town but also have a Subaru Forrester that they use for trips and they are quite happy with this arrangement. I know another guy who has an i3 and uses carshare or rental for trips.

For people who don't need a long-range charging network, they can spend $10k less (or even lower if they're willing to go smart car) for a local range, 80-100 mile range EV. So the question isn't really Bolt v. Tesla for most people, but rather Leaf v. Tesla.

People who buy a Bolt are competing with low-range EVs. Leafs cover something like 95%+ of all commutes, a Bolt would probably cover 3% more people. In both cases you're limited to a local area, which usually means the nearest city and surrounding smaller towns/suburbs.

Solar panels on roofs and windmills are ugly too. And to be honest, Formula 1 cars are ugly. So are those stupid HOV stickers.

Hopefully the modern car buyers realize this and abolish these travesties, and outlaw all cars that don't look like Jaguar sedans.

Trivia - The modern car most commonly referred to as the World's Ugliest Car, was the Pontiac Aztek. It did not become a fashion icon until Breaking Bad came out, far after the car was buried face down in an unmarked grave.

However, the Ugliest Car was actually one of the most practical cars of all time and was awarded both the Worst and Best car awards. It actually revolutionized that market segment. The Aztek sold 120k units under the Pontiac badging, and with a facelift + upfitting sold 350k units under the Buick branding as a Rendezvous. The Aztek did have one of the highest Customer Satisfaction Indexes of it's time as did the Buick. People who actually owned them, loved them.

Now you know! :D

GM employee detected.

These are the only two electric cars coming in the near future which have a 200+ mile range and will be priced in the thirties. Therefore it's very fair to compare the two. Yes, they will have different body styles and interior but I don't view this as a bad thing. What works for one person doesn't work for another, and it will expand EV adoption overall. People who need the hatchback design and storage will probably go with the Bolt for utility. Those who prefer a sedan will likely go with the more stylish Model 3.

If the Bolt were a gas car, it would be priced in the $20k's. Breakthrough technology is an "all the time" rear view camera acting as the rear-view mirror. Style is... well. Like so many other cars in the $20k's.

If the Model Ξ were a gas car, it would be priced in the high $30's or low $40's. Breakthrough technology list is plenty long, and likely to get longer. Style.

If the two cars were powered by ICE's, they would not be in the same class, nor would they ever be compared - any more than a Honda Fit would be compared to an Audi A4. I understand why they are compared now, as they are the first two ~ 200 mile EVs in the $30k's. But that's where the similarity ends. The general public does not understand this. They're the same folks who think people would only buy a Prius to save money on gas, or only buy an EV because it is "environmental."

Actually the second generation LEAF will be going head-to-head with the Bolt EV in 2017, probably before the Model 3 ever shows up. That new LEAF will have a 60 kWh battery, a 200+ mile range, and be a hatchback. You haven't heard of it because Nissan doesn't want to cut off current LEAF sales. Both GM and Tesla have motivations to tell you about their cars, Nissan doesn't.

Just as a reminder of an earlier post on the Bolt: It is NOT GM, but LG, a huge percentage being from Korea:
  • Electric Drive Motor
  • Power Inverter Module (converts DC power to AC for the drive unit)
  • On Board Charger
  • Electric Climate Control System Compressor
  • Battery Cells and Pack
  • High Power Distribution Module (manages the flow of high voltage to various components)
  • Battery Heater
  • Accessory Power Module (maintains low-voltage power delivery to accessories)
  • Power Line Communication Module (manages communication between vehicle and a DC charging station)
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Infotainment System
and, the Korean DESIGN studio

As I remember, Tesla is made in Fremont, California, USA. And designed. Car and batteries.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
If the Bolt were a gas car, it would be priced in the $20k's. Breakthrough technology is an "all the time" rear view camera acting as the rear-view mirror. Style is... well. Like so many other cars in the $20k's.

If the Model Ξ were a gas car, it would be priced in the high $30's or low $40's. Breakthrough technology list is plenty long, and likely to get longer. Style.

If the two cars were powered by ICE's, they would not be in the same class, nor would they ever be compared - any more than a Honda Fit would be compared to an Audi A4. I understand why they are compared now, as they are the first two ~ 200 mile EVs in the $30k's. But that's where the similarity ends. The general public does not understand this. They're the same folks who think people would only buy a Prius to save money on gas, or only buy an EV because it is "environmental."

I wouldn't consider either vehicle as a luxury car. The Model S is a luxury car. The Model 3 can't get to this price-point and still be, hence the minimalist interior. To be fair we need to see the final versions of both vehicles to make a comparison, since we've not seen the final production version of either. Each will have pluses and minuses, and neither should be discounted at this point.

Just as a reminder of an earlier post on the Bolt: It is NOT GM, but LG, a huge percentage being from Korea:
  • Electric Drive Motor
  • Power Inverter Module (converts DC power to AC for the drive unit)
  • On Board Charger
  • Electric Climate Control System Compressor
  • Battery Cells and Pack
  • High Power Distribution Module (manages the flow of high voltage to various components)
  • Battery Heater
  • Accessory Power Module (maintains low-voltage power delivery to accessories)
  • Power Line Communication Module (manages communication between vehicle and a DC charging station)
  • Instrument Cluster
  • Infotainment System
and, the Korean DESIGN studio

As I remember, Tesla is made in Fremont, California, USA. And designed. Car and batteries.

I agree there. I would much rather buy a car which was made in the US with as many US sourced components as possible. This is a huge plus for Tesla in my view. I put my money where my ideals are, I have always owned US vehicles.