Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Mega-consolidated delivery quality issues thread and checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although, I have a hard time seeing why anyone should buy the base model S over the Model 3. The noises, glitches, yoke problems, manufacturing defects and all the other issues make it hard to see why it's even worth $80k compared to the 3, let alone $95k. I get that it is smoother and quieter, but then they ruin it with all the stupid noises from the bad HVAC design, and from the yoke. I checked our Model 3 again, no buzzing, no HVAC whistles. Better headlights, slightly better sound... If it wasn't for the 1020 HP, this S would be gone.

The fit and finish issues externally that I've seen should not be happening on a $95k vehicle. I'm hoping gigafactory / castings fix the issues with panel gaps, trim issues, etc. China Model 3 / Y's are apparently much better put together and we'll definately be waiting for Giga Austin Y's to fully ramp before we order another Tesla. They really need to improve their customer service and experience as well. I can see a lot of others who have no loyalty to Tesla be put off by the whole experience.

Reactions: impastu
Noticed this on delivery day amongst poor rubber seals, and some other minor interior stuff

Attachments

• FFC3EEE0-9733-431F-8874-E46AF9137639.jpeg
    FFC3EEE0-9733-431F-8874-E46AF9137639.jpeg
    327.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 8428F7AA-43E6-45FD-8B72-A8BB458FEE2C.jpeg
    8428F7AA-43E6-45FD-8B72-A8BB458FEE2C.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 118
Does anyone else have a popping or clicking sound that seems to come from the speakers when driving over bumps at low speeds? It sounds like the kind of click you'd get from an amplifier with a loose wire on the input, triggering an impulse response kind of sound.

Reactions: jebinc
@n2mb_racing How noticeable is your vibration? What speeds do you notice it at? I’m not getting increased vibration at the original 38-48 mph range, and again around 60’and again at 70, but not in between. Really annoying….

Around 42 - 50 mph under light acceleration. I feel it in the yoke. I haven't noticed it at highway speeds. It's pretty minor, compared to an ICE car. But, more noticeable than in our Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and cwanja
Noticed this on delivery day amongst poor rubber seals, and some other minor interior stuff
I checked and the gap between my headliner trim pieces is the same on both sides. Noticeably, there is a large gap on both sides, like it was designed (or unintentionally designed) that way. By comparison, our Model 3 doesn't have that gap and the trim sits nice and flush.

The model 3 is like, "hey, we designed an entirely new car from the ground up and paid attention to details"
The model S is, "We took this older car and keep updating it, but we don't throw a lot of resources at it to get it right"

Anyone have any luck with the HVAC whistle at low fan speeds? Or the subtle buzz from the stereo when nothing is playing?

It's hard when a car makes no sound, every little sound gets annoying.

Also, Tesla needs a Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) expert. How did these things get past the design phase?
is that whisle noise like this one? whining noise from the rear mirror in refreshed Model S the noise only happened when HVAC is on and I spent a lot time to pinpoint it and eventually found it is coming from the black box in the center mirror.