Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin CrossClimate 2 finally coming to Model Y size

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. What wheel size? Please post back with more efficiency numbers/comparison later. I am waiting to read more posts from others with the CC2. We probably won’t need new tires until August or Labor Day.
255/45R19 104V XL BSW. I don't know any more about what that means than what Google tells me, lol. My next long road trip is in July and I'll try and remember to post consumption numbers. What I can tell you from my long trip a couple of weeks ago is that the ABRP estimate, the Tesla nav estimate, and the actual were all within 1% of each other.

Reactions: sewing1
(Seriously, folks, efficiency/range loss can't possibly be significant enough to impact road trips. The loss of 2-3% simply doesn't jeopardize SC to SC anxiety.)
That’s because it’s typically not 2-3%. If it was that low then I also wouldn’t care. I initially considered the DWS Plus but some YouTube videos measured a ~13% efficiency drop. Almost everything else is going to be less efficient than the OEM tire, but the question is how much? Vredestein Quatrac Pro? Ten percent drop. Pilot Sport AS 4? At least 10 percent drop.

I am awaiting more efficiency reports on the CC2 but am also leaning towards the Pirelli P7 Plus 3 as the version 1 of those tires were LRR and I was able to exceed EPA efficiency with them on my Model S. Curious if I can repeat it with the Y with P7 Plus 3.

For reference, our 2019 Model S would need to average 254 Wh/m to hit the EPA range. The following was on a family roadtrip, with climate control on, loaded suitcases, etc, and 19” Pirelli P7 Plus version 1. A very comfortable Grand Touring tire and LRR:

45B27E2F-6ABF-44BB-8D22-E106E3265525.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pianewman
FatherTo1: Thanks for the clarification. I've not read/seen efficiency loss anywhere near 13%.
I was disappointed reading some posts of certain tires resulting in as high as 15% range loss. Of course, many factors at play and different driving styles. As tires wear in I do expect efficiency to improve compared to when brand new but I don’t think they’ll recoup all the initial range drop.

Here’s the Daily Motor video showing Wh/m difference between 19” OEM Continental ProContact RX and 19” Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus (288/253 = 13.8 % extra energy use). They also went on to compare against 18” version of DWS06 Plus and I was surprised to see a lack of real benefit.

(18:30 mark)

6C3DD55A-E4C7-4F8C-A113-98C341E67F20.png

We've found that the rolling resistance of the CC2s made a noticeable difference in our Leaf efficiency. Because the time of year makes a big difference as well I can only say it subjectively, but I would not be surprised if it were 15% or even a bit more. According to Consumer Reports however, there is a big difference in the rolling resistance between the passenger version (poor)and the SUV version (good) of CC2s so I expect it won't be noticeable on the MY. I'm looking forward to hearing about real world experience once members have had a chance to put some miles on them. It is currently our top replacement choice and on our Leaf it made a notable improvement in the ride and noise level.

That’s because it’s typically not 2-3%. If it was that low then I also wouldn’t care. I initially considered the DWS Plus but some YouTube videos measured a ~13% efficiency drop. Almost everything else is going to be less efficient than the OEM tire, but the question is how much? Vredestein Quatrac Pro? Ten percent drop. Pilot Sport AS 4? At least 10 percent drop.

I am awaiting more efficiency reports on the CC2 but am also leaning towards the Pirelli P7 Plus 3 as the version 1 of those tires were LRR and I was able to exceed EPA efficiency with them on my Model S. Curious if I can repeat it with the Y with P7 Plus 3.

For reference, our 2019 Model S would need to average 254 Wh/m to hit the EPA range. The following was on a family roadtrip, with climate control on, loaded suitcases, etc, and 19” Pirelli P7 Plus version 1. A very comfortable Grand Touring tire and LRR:

View attachment 810976
I’m looking for the same thing. I had the 21 on my MYP but hit something and the sidewall blew so I got the new aero 19 rims that have the efficiency or better than Gemini but I got the quiet trac tires and my range puked so I’m trying to research an all season for Ohio that don’t kill my range with 1-2.5 hr commutes each way every day.

Where did you see the Michelin AS4 took that big of a hit? I was hoping since they are now a factory tire range would be good.

I’m looking for the same thing. I had the 21 on my MYP but hit something and the sidewall blew so I got the new aero 19 rims that have the efficiency or better than Gemini but I got the quiet trac tires and my range puked so I’m trying to research an all season for Ohio that don’t kill my range with 1-2.5 hr commutes each way every day.

Where did you see the Michelin AS4 took that big of a hit? I was hoping since they are now a factory tire range would be good.
I read it on the Model 3 forum:
200 miles review: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

They are a special Tesla-specific tire on the 21" size only, with acoustic foam and likely other qualities that Tesla specified for Michelin on the tire.

I wouldn't count on the AS4 being anything like an eco-tire in any other size. (It really isn't even one in the 21" fitment either, but maybe the compound differs slightly...)

They are a special Tesla-specific tire on the 21" size only, with acoustic foam and likely other qualities that Tesla specified for Michelin on the tire.

I wouldn't count on the AS4 being anything like an eco-tire in any other size. (It really isn't even one in the 21" fitment either, but maybe the compound differs slightly...)
Thanks. So if I’m looking for efficiency with all weather the P7 Plus 3 is probably the best option then?

I love tire talk, with all the opinions and experiences. The bottom line is always; YMMV!!!

I just spoke at length with a store manager of a very large dealer of a national chain. HE claims that Pirellis consistently need to be replaced WAY BEFORE any "projected" lifetime miles. He also claims he has seen a lot of (what he calls) dry rot.

FWIW, this is in the DFW region, extreme summer temps, mild winters.

YMMV.

Reactions: Whiskeypapa
I love tire talk, with all the opinions and experiences. The bottom line is always; YMMV!!!

I just spoke at length with a store manager of a very large dealer of a national chain. HE claims that Pirellis consistently need to be replaced WAY BEFORE any "projected" lifetime miles. He also claims he has seen a lot of (what he calls) dry rot.

FWIW, this is in the DFW region, extreme summer temps, mild winters.

YMMV.
Can you clarify what YMMV is? I have a 22 MYP and I’m thinking of downgrading my 21s to 19s with Michelle tires but idk if that’s a good idea or not.

YMMV: "Your Mileage May Vary"

I've been seeing this acronym for quite a while on auto blogs, meaning, of course, that your experience (in this case, mileage) might vary from whatever is being claimed.