Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan passes bill to ban Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this has been touched upon before in this thread, but looking at the map of Michigan's Indian reservations makes me think how perfectly a relationship between Tesla and certain tribes could be.

I've thought this as well, both as a solution and a stick in the eye. I'll let lawyers chase the legalities, but one question I'd have is whether the reservations could/would allow a Tesla-owned-and-operated business on the reservation land. If not, then you're right back at the kind of franchise operation that Tesla wants to avoid (rightly, IMHO).

Apparently there is precedent for auto dealers on tribal land, and our friends at the auto dealer cartel made a fuss then too:
Off the Reservation, Onto the Dealer's Lot - New York Times

In this article, the state motor vehicle commission licensed the dealer. It didn't say why that was necessary but seems it was a requirement. So this idea may not work in Michigan.

Also notice in the article from 12 years ago all the talk about playing fields. That's a recurrent theme of the auto dealers. For all their talk about "competition", heaven forbid someone actually do something to gain a competitive advantage.

For those of us voting in Michigan next week, the lone legislator with the integrity to vote against HB5606 House representative Tom McMillin from district 45 (Rochester, Rochester Hills, and part of Oakland Township). Whether he objected to the bill or just the sleazy way it was changed in the 11th hour I couldn't say. There were a lot of bills rushed through in that final day of the session; most passed 107 to 0. To be fair, I doubt many of the representatives understood what was actually changing in this bill, but I do not consider that a valid excuse.

For those of us voting in Michigan next week, the lone legislator with the integrity to vote against HB5606 House representative Tom McMillin from district 45 (Rochester, Rochester Hills, and part of Oakland Township). Whether he objected to the bill or just the sleazy way it was changed in the 11th hour I couldn't say.

It was reported that he opposed the bill from the get-go, on the basis that he's opposed to regulating private contractual issues between manufacturers and dealers.

It was reported that he opposed the bill from the get-go, on the basis that he's opposed to regulating private contractual issues between manufacturers and dealers.
Good for him! That's the way it should be. Whether or not a dealer has an exclusive territory, etc. should be a matter of contract between the manufacturer and dealer. Maybe there was a reason for states to get involved 60 years ago but no longer. I'm not aware of any similar laws controlling the sale of any other non-addictive product.

Good for him! That's the way it should be. Whether or not a dealer has an exclusive territory, etc. should be a matter of contract between the manufacturer and dealer. Maybe there was a reason for states to get involved 60 years ago but no longer. I'm not aware of any similar laws controlling the sale of any other non-addictive product.

Michigan has term limits. McMillin's term-limit ends January 1, 2015. He can not run for re-election. It was easy for Tom McMillin to take a stand on principle (if this is the case), when he does not have to campaign.

You are saying Tesla isn't addictive?:)

Has Schauer even made this a campaign issue yet? If not, it's a lost opportunity. The Tesla banning is a pretty clearly un-American move, and historically about 98% of the population has been on Tesla's side of the issue. If Schauer highlighted the anti-business, anti-competitive, and corrupt action of the governor, along with the lobbying/political money changing hands, I would think it would sway enough of the voting constituency to swing his way.

Here's how RealClearPolitics has shown the race closing out. I wonder if Schauer's rise and Snyder's drop toward the end of the graph has to do with the Tesla decision?
closing.png

I would love for the governor to lose because of this issue :).

Has Schauer even made this a campaign issue yet? If not, it's a lost opportunity. The Tesla banning is a pretty clearly un-American move, and historically about 98% of the population has been on Tesla's side of the issue. If Schauer highlighted the anti-business, anti-competitive, and corrupt action of the governor, along with the lobbying/political money changing hands, I would think it would sway enough of the voting constituency to swing his way.

Here's how RealClearPolitics has shown the race closing out. I wonder if Schauer's rise and Snyder's drop toward the end of the graph has to do with the Tesla decision?
View attachment 62511

I would say it is a contributing factor (behind the Democrats ground game and the electorate's dislike for Snyder's penchant of backroom dealing, which existed long before HB 5606). This continues to receive a lot of local (and National attention). When prominent Republicans speak out against Snyder, Schauer does not have to (although I believe Schauer should publicly state his position):

Mark Cuban on Direct Tesla Sales | CNBC - YouTube

It tickled my funny bone that yesterday as I was reading this thread I kept getting Rick Snyder campaign ads inserted at the top of the page. I guess it's the least he can do to spend some of his campaign dollars supporting a Tesla fan website. (No, really. He's looked into it and it's the least he can do.)

With the rotten stench coming from Lansing, I decided it was time to ditch the PUREAIR license plate.

Just ordered my new vanity plate:

<MI VERBOTN plate>

I know it is not real clever and most drivers will probably not understand it, so I will probably get a "Made in USA, Banned in MI" bumper sticker to go along with it.

I guess BANNED was taken. :p Actually Verboten's better than Banned, assuming you're referencing the movie Verboten! rather than Godwinning. ;)

How the anti-Tesla wording was slipped into the bill without anyone knowing:
Senator Gives Wifes Lobbying Firm Backdoors Amendment to Ban Tesla: Letter to the Editor | Dexter, MI Patch

Info and contribution link to the candidate opposing this asshat:
Shari Pollesch for Senate

Contribute!

After I contributed, Shari herself replied by email:

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Gene.
I would have supported Tesla and I would have encouraged Tesla to open up a manufacturing concern here in Michigan using our excellent manufacturing infrastructure.

Shari "

With the rotten stench coming from Lansing, I decided it was time to ditch the PUREAIR license plate.

Just ordered my new vanity plate:

View attachment 62605

I know it is not real clever and most drivers will probably not understand it, so I will probably get a "Made in USA, Banned in MI" bumper sticker to go along with it.

Don't be so humble, it's real clever if you ask me. Good stuff!