Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan passes bill to ban Tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received this response today from the governor's office about my email regarding why he should veto HB5606:
Thank you for your recent correspondence sent to Governor Rick Snyder. I have been assigned to your correspondence and am responding accordingly on behalf of the Governor...[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]It appears you have much to offer and I hope your pursuit for Michigan employment is successful. [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]All civil service employment opportunities are regularly updated at Michigan’s Career Center website of www.michigan.gov/mcsc. Please submit your online applications for the job opportunities most suitable for your chosen career path.

Some guy looking for a job must be wondering why he got a reply from the governor's office about how cars are sold.
[/FONT]

I am not a lawyer... But I get the impression that the Federal Trade Commission is not allowed to act on their own (as do the FBI, ATF, or DEA). They must receive consumer complaints about a business, or a request for assistance from a business. I do not know if a complaint can be made to the FTC about a legislative process.

What about comments or complaints about NADA and/or the various state affiliates? For example, the FTC provides a way, for example, to report or comment on perceived antitrust violations. Or do these have to come from an organization or counsel? This is starting to get into deep waters, and I'd guess charging hot-headedly (if that's a word) could be counter-productive.

Last edited:
What about comments or complaints about NADA and/or the various state affiliates? For example, the FTC provides a way, for example, to report or comment on perceived antitrust violations. Or do these have to come from an organization or counsel? This is starting to get into deep waters, and I'd guess charging hot-headedly (if that's a word) could be counter-productive.
Being a resident of Virginia, I complained to FTC two years ago in a formal complaint about va ban then. Response was no response

I think this would be a good way to register our disagreement with state law (including limited ability to sell in my state of Maryland). But long term the only way forward is via a ruling by the FTC or a judicial case (granted I'm not a lawyer)

Until the Supremes get this case the worst-case fall-back position would be to set up volunteer amateur clubs to organize and publicize weekend meets to provide test drives and help with online purchases and the delivery options.
--

The Wall Street Journal is usually critical of Tesla, but today has a great editorial against Gov. Snyder signing the bill:

Rick Snyder Drives Off the Road

Michigan’s pro-market Governor embraces the car dealer cartel.

Oct. 24, 2014 7:18 p.m. ET18 COMMENTS

Republican Michigan Governor Rick Snyder ’s re-election race against Democrat Mark Schauer is close, so naturally Mr. Synder is throwing his principles over the side.
How else to explain Governor Snyder’s signing Tuesday of a bill that effectively shuts out Tesla Motors from selling cars directly to consumers in Michigan? Restraint of trade and suppression of competition are now protected by law in Michigan.
BN-FF090_3snyde_WN_20141024190814.jpg
ENLARGE
Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder ASSOCIATED PRESS

Governor Snyder knows all this. The former business executive has touted his support for reviving the entrepreneurial spirit in Michigan, and he has established a record of supporting pro-growth policies in his state. And with good reason: Michigan watched about 825,000 jobs disappear between 2000 and 2009, many in auto manufacturing.
Mr. Snyder knows that if Michigan is to have a vibrant future, it has to welcome competition from upstarts like Elon Musk ’s Tesla Motors. The state tried the economic model of government picking winners and losers under former Governor Jennifer Granholm. That failed in spectacular fashion, and in 2009 President Obama bailed out the auto industry in part to rescue Michigan’s economy.
General Motors that year filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. So it is no surprise to see that early Tuesday morning General Motors urged Governor Snyder to sign the auto-dealer protection bill, which he did.
Mr. Snyder and his GOP legislature may think this act of inbred protectionism two weeks before the election will guarantee their re-election. But doing this deal makes it more likely that a second Snyder term will consist of a return to the state’s low-growth status quo. It is the sort of flip-flop that breeds cynicism among Republican conservatives about the political leadership of their own party.
Cynics of an even deeper stripe will point out that Tesla founder Elon Musk is no poster boy for the free market. Mr. Musk has proven himself a master at talking states into dedicating their taxpayers’ money to help finance his dreams—with subsidies for his manufacturing plant in Nevada and state rebates to purchase his cars.
But punishing taxpayers to finance Tesla in one state is no justification for punishing consumers with less competition and higher prices in another. Similar bans aimed at Tesla’s direct-sales model exist in New Jersey, Texas and Arizona. Nearly half the states have some form of franchise laws that essentially forbid car manufacturers from competing with their dealers.
Direct sale of cars to buyers, whether by Tesla or more established manufacturers, gives consumers more choice and more control over how much they want to pay for a new vehicle. It creates downward pressure on prices, leaving more money in the car-buying public’s pockets. The dealer status quo, protected Tuesday by Governor Snyder and General Motors, does the opposite. It benefits some at the expense of everyone else.

Until the Supremes get this case the worst-case fall-back position would be to set up volunteer amateur clubs to organize and publicize weekend meets to provide test drives and help with online purchases and the delivery options.
--

Such as these guys: Tesla Model S Owners Unite To Offer Law-Skirting Test Drives In Iowa

Although this is just a test ride/drive event.
As long as Tesla makes the rest of the online experience as straight forward as possible, I think this type of event will be extremely helpful.

I am glad the WSJ is excoriating Snyder about this, but their suggestion that the collapse of the U.S. auto industry is somehow Jennifer Granholm's fault makes me question their intellectual rigor.

Why is it that some people lambast Tesla for negotiating what would be considered a smart business move. After all Nevada did not have to give Tesla those concesions, they wanted that factory. Now for some reason Elon is a bad guy for doing this, if he got a crappy deal they would string him up for that. Cannot wait for the gen 3 to come out and then we will see what excuses the media will come up with.

Why is it that some people lambast Tesla for negotiating what would be considered a smart business move. After all Nevada did not have to give Tesla those concesions, they wanted that factory. Now for some reason Elon is a bad guy for doing this, if he got a crappy deal they would string him up for that. Cannot wait for the gen 3 to come out and then we will see what excuses the media will come up with.

Why is it that some (many?) (most?) can't see that the deal is VERY good for Nevada residents/taxpayers. I don't think another negotiation of that size has ever been so in favor of everyone benefitting. I was left with the impression that Tesla insisted it be fair for all by making several of the steps incentivized. Tesla must do A before B can happen, etc...

The taxpayer also won with the DOE loan, and yet there is still a large group of people touting how awful it was for the taxpayer. Some people don't want to see the truth because it might upset a general belief they hold.

I'm frustrated for Tesla that the goalposts are always being moved by that select group of people. Both a failed or successful launch of Gigafactory will forever be told by some as a story of 'taxpayers paid for that'.

Why is it that some (many?) (most?) can't see that the deal is VERY good for Nevada residents/taxpayers. I don't think another negotiation of that size has ever been so in favor of everyone benefitting. I was left with the impression that Tesla insisted it be fair for all by making several of the steps incentivized. Tesla must do A before B can happen, etc...

The taxpayer also won with the DOE loan, and yet there is still a large group of people touting how awful it was for the taxpayer. Some people don't want to see the truth because it might upset a general belief they hold.

I'm frustrated for Tesla that the goalposts are always being moved by that select group of people. Both a failed or successful launch of Gigafactory will forever be told by some as a story of 'taxpayers paid for that'.
I agree, I was being conservative in my statement. I think the the feeling out there now is that why should we care about a company that makes cars for the "Wealthy". This is why I put in the gen 3 comment.

An interesting thought about warranty work and recall work.....Tesla is already performing this work in Michigan - over the internet. Every time they send out an update to take care of recall/warranty work, are they breaking the law, and wouldn't that be fun to litigate.

As as for my Model X, I dislike "vanity"'plates, but I'm thinking of making an exception and seeing if OUTLAW is taken.

If updating cars over the cars connectivity with the manufacturer is technically illegal, the next time Tesla is providing an update, they should coordinate it with a drive event to the Capitol in Lansing, with Bagpipes and blue painted faces like William Wallace's Scots in a show of peaceful defiance. A slew of Tesla's surrounding the Capitol in protest of a stupid law. Jackasses.

By by the way, Snyder lost at least one vote - mine. My wife was already going to vote against him. She's always been smarter than me.

An interesting thought about warranty work and recall work.....Tesla is already performing this work in Michigan - over the internet. Every time they send out an update to take care of recall/warranty work, are they breaking the law, and wouldn't that be fun to litigate.

As as for my Model X, I dislike "vanity"'plates, but I'm thinking of making an exception and seeing if OUTLAW is taken.

If updating cars over the cars connectivity with the manufacturer is technically illegal, the next time Tesla is providing an update, they should coordinate it with a drive event to the Capitol in Lansing, with Bagpipes and blue painted faces like William Wallace's Scots in a show of peaceful defiance. A slew of Tesla's surrounding the Capitol in protest of a stupid law. Jackasses.

By by the way, Snyder lost at least one vote - mine. My wife was already going to vote against him. She's always been smarter than me.

Agreed. I'm with you on this.

Why is it that some people lambast Tesla for negotiating what would be considered a smart business move.
Mostly because $h0r+s, Bears, and Naysayers would much rather Tesla Motors made stupid moves, so their predictions of failure could come true. Every time Tesla makes a good decision, or makes a new ally, it makes their detractors look that much more obviously dumb.

Yup. Some people look for the murky cloud behind every silver lining.