Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we're all waiting, let's talk taxes and fees.

As I've already said, I'm new to buying car (and also new to LA). I'm trying to wrap my head around the taxes and other fees that I'll have to pay for the car. I purchased online so I really have no idea of how to anticipate these costs. I'm hoping that someone who went into a store or who has purchased a car before can lend some wisdom. I know that the LA sales tax is 9.50% (I live in Los Angeles County), but what else should be added in there? Or perhaps the ballpark range of money to have on-hand to pay for these items? My car is $51,500 before the $1,200 destination and doc fee.

As I've already said, I'm new to buying car (and also new to LA). I'm trying to wrap my head around the taxes and other fees that I'll have to pay for the car. I purchased online so I really have no idea of how to anticipate these costs. I'm hoping that someone who went into a store or who has purchased a car before can lend some wisdom. I know that the LA sales tax is 9.50% (I live in Los Angeles County), but what else should be added in there? Or perhaps the ballpark range of money to have on-hand to pay for these items? My car is $51,500 before the $1,200 destination and doc fee.

In Orange County (sales tax is 7.75%) taxes and fees came to $4342.25

I live in LA and my car was the same price as yours. My taxes/license/registration fees came out to $5,601.51.

Hey @rjdoc74, there were no other items included? I've been racking my brain about other fees such as license, registration, breathing the air from the distribution center, or anything else for that matter and how much extra to have on hand.

Here is everything you will pay in CA:
Price of the car: ?
Destination and doc fees: $1,200
Sales Tax: Charged on the above two items
Tire fee: $7
License fee: About $300
Registration fee: About $255

You can use the calculator at Vehicle Registration Fee Calculator do figure out the exact fees.

You will have to consider the Insurance cost and for the following years the Cellular connection.

Yes, the insurance I've taken into consideration and it has been easier to get those quotes and plan. I've been trying to think about the amount of money I need to free up; with the VIN assignments and delivery dates up in the air, I know I have to start doing those now.

By the way, I was told the cellular plan is $100 a year after having the first year free. If that's not the case or others have heard differently, please share the latest info.

Looks like my edit just disappeared - right when I was thinking about changing my order to a LR AWD.

Colorado - “space grey” lemur - standard wheels, black interior..

I’m in Colorado too, I think AWD would be great here but I just can’t pass up the MR as I really don’t need the range long term. I had a RWD car that I drove during the winter in the past, it was fine you just have to understand the limitations.