Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine also still says prepare for delivery. I cannot add insurance until I have a VIN according to Tesla, and I have a trade. Hopefully that will not delay my car!

I was able to upload a copy of my current vehicle's insurance without a VIN.

Mine is also "Prepare for Delivery". I did no trade-in, and only had the option to do Cash or Finance through Tesla (no 3rd party finance). Speaking with an employee at a local dealership, I was told when I speak with my delivery agent, I can still choose to do 3rd party finance, just mention it.

I was able to upload a copy of my current vehicle's insurance without a VIN.

That's exactly what I did, I took a picture of the roadside info card that has my name and my insurance policy on it, but no info on the car. Can't insure the car without a VIN in MA. I did speak to my insurance agent, and he told me that I could give my Tesla rep his fax number and they would take care of the insurance part, though I'm skeptical that it will be that easy.

I ordered mid range on the 23rd. Uploaded all required docs. Now in the 'drafting contract' stage. During the ordering step the only option I had was Tesla financing or Cash. I chose cash since my credit union will be loaning me the difference. I have access to the vehicle purchase agreement but it only has my reservation number on it. When can I expect the ability to put more down? Not sure what to expect next. Anybody in the same boat?
Yup at the same place. Just waiting for someone to contact me.

Yup at the same place. Just waiting for someone to contact me.

Same here. In my obsession to try and make sure that absolutely NOTHING on my side would delay this even a day and fully put the ball in their court, I called the 888 number to correct my financing option since only Cash and Tesla financing showed on the page when I configured. They brushed me off and told me that I didn't have an ISA assigned yet, but they would be able to handle it.

Not satisfied, I called my local sales center in Indianapolis and a VERY helpful woman named Allison was able to actually change my financing option from Cash (which I selected since I wasn't going with the Tesla financing at the numbers I was approved for) to 3rd party financing.

Shortly after she did that, my account page showed the breakdown of costs - the financing estimate I gave her, and my backdoor edit link stopped working, but still no VIN or ISA 9 days later...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I can do that, but have no idea if it would be accepted by Tesla, since it says
"Model 3 must be listed on your insurance, unless you are registering your Tesla in one of these 13 states."
and I am not in one of those 13 states.

I ordered MR Black/Black/Aero/EAP on Oct 20.

Insurance carriers in most state will NOT quote generically without VIN. All that Tesla wants to know your existing coverage. I uploaded my binder page with Name, address and VIN of existing car and Tesla accepted that.

This is not a showstopper. But as long as you have proof of insurance in form of letter or actual insurance card on the day you pickup it should be fine.

Even my friend who got his LR + AWD month or so back, did the same thing.

Good questions. I selected "Cash" assuming that I'll be getting a check from my credit union. I didn't see an option for 3rd party financin. I'm in CA.

Yeah, I selected cash too. I'll either have a bank check or pay out of pocket via light stream funds. Either way, I'm still arriving with all the money required. I'll play it by ear when I get my first email from them.