Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mid Range waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to email my delivery advisor to remind him I still didn't have the purchase agreement for a delivery scheduled for Monday. It did come pretty quickly after that though. I had to arrange loan with my credit union which is closed Monday so they really did leave it to the last minute!

Fingers crossed for no issues with delivery on Monday! They assigned me a 6pm home delivery but I had it moved to 8am so I can get a good look at the car in daylight. (Los Angeles, day 0 line waiter ordered on MR tweet day, black interior)

Thanks for the info @ivan801. You mention that there is a noticeable decrease in power after 40...is there any chance you have experience with power at passing speeds? Say going from 60 to 80 or so?

Curious if the power drops off considerably more than what has been reported with the LR.

Thanks for the info @ivan801. You mention that there is a noticeable decrease in power after 40...is there any chance you have experience with power at passing speeds? Say going from 60 to 80 or so?

Curious if the power drops off considerably more than what has been reported with the LR.

Yes, I noticed that passing on the freeway (60 to 80) is a bit sluggish, it's more like driving a gas car :) In other words, it's more like BMW 320i. That is, where as Model 3 MR would blow away BMW 320i off the line, they would be about the same in 60 to 80 competition. Still not bad.

• Informative
Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Yes, I noticed that passing on the freeway (60 to 80) is a bit sluggish, it's more like driving a gas car :) In other words, it's more like BMW 320i. That is, where as Model 3 MR would blow away BMW 320i off the line, they would be about the same in 60 to 80 competition. Still not bad.
Do the positives about the car outweigh the issues you’ve identified? In terms of love that you have for the car - on a 1-10 scale (10 best) where do you rank your happiness?

Just FYI, I have had ZERO emails or phone calls from Tesla during this process.

I got ONE initial text from someone ("Ted") offering the car on a particular date, and THAT'S IT.

I periodically checked the website during the week and saw as various things happened (VIN appeared; request for $ appeared; MVPA appeared), but never received email or phone or text informing me of the progress. You'd think they would email me to ask me to pay them, but they never did.

Until today, at least, ... when I received an email from Tesla reminding me of tomorrow's delivery appointment.

At a couple of points I have asked questions via text of "Ted", which he answers promptly. But neither he nor anyone else from Tesla nor the Tesla website has proactively informed me of updates.

SO ... I guess in the new modern world we make $50,000 purchases via text message, more or less. :)

Lucky you. I've sent questions to my mysterious texter and haven't gotten response for over 3 days. I'm jealous.

OK, so just to clarify a couple of things. Heat: yes, I use heat, set at 70F. Battery balancing: I have charged to full several times now, I think that batteries are probably balanced. Wind conditions: it was a calm day. Ambient temp: ranged from 30F in early morning to 50F in the afternoon. Wheels: original Aerowheel with covers. Regen setting probably does not matter much for my type of driving, but I left it on standard. Terrain: start and finish at home, typical Utah highways with some hills. Nothing crazy.

As a former (recovering) LEAF driver, this range is actually very impressive. As a comparison, 2018 LEAF with advertised range of 150 miles can barely make it from my house to my mother-in-law and back on a cold Sunday when I can drive at around 80 mph both ways. Total distance: 82 miles. Battery left when I get home: about 5-8%. However, on a mild day, driving slower (around 65 mph) I can get my LEAF to do 125 miles (actually did this, had 3% left on arrival, was passed by EVERYONE on the freeway). And no, I could never get 150 miles out of it in real life, as that would require driving at around 55 mph or less with no heat or AC. In contrast, I think that I could do 260 miles in my Model 3 if I tried, just has to be a warmer day and I have to keep my speed below 65 mph.

@ivan801 - thanks for the clarification. Good to hear some real world feedback on the Mid Range I've read many posts the past year on LR RWD cars getting more efficient around 2,000 miles. I think there is some BMS calibration going on and battery balancing improving. I've read some people are getting 220 wh/mi avg, which means about 340 mile range on the LR RWD. This means Mid Range can get 280. Of course this person probably is in California and using Aero wheels.

So I did my best to time the 0-60 run @ivan801 so graciously posted down to the millisecond.

I recorded his video with my phone, then used Android's video editor to trim the clip to the precise frame when the 0 turns to 1 to the frame where it turns from 59-60. Then I opened the file in MPC-HC, which can display the length and current position of a video down to 3 decimal places.

His run (taking into consideration that he has <50% battery in the video, which supposedly slows down 0-60 times a bit, at least on the performance models), clocks in at precisely 5.675 seconds:
MR 0-60 First Frame.png

So I contacted my local service center in Miami, FL yesterday (11/8) to find out if they had any LR RWD vehicles in stock and was told the had two. One of them being white, so I immediately to told the assistance manager that I wanted to change from the MR I had ordered on 10/21. Within in 24 hours my portal was updated, and received confirmation of the VIN and a scheduled home delivery of 11/29. Here’s the interesting part - after speaking to my DA today I was told that the vehicle is not physically at the service center but is in California “Assigned to the center service”. So they now requested it to be shipped, which will take 2-4 weeks. So they must have excess inventory of the LR RWD prior to staring MR production?

So I contacted my local service center in Miami, FL yesterday (11/8) to find out if they had any LR RWD vehicles in stock and was told the had two. One of them being white, so I immediately to told the assistance manager that I wanted to change from the MR I had ordered on 10/21. Within in 24 hours my portal was updated, and received confirmation of the VIN and a scheduled home delivery of 11/29. Here’s the interesting part - after speaking to my DA today I was told that the vehicle is not physically at the service center but is in California “Assigned to the center service”. So they now requested it to be shipped, which will take 2-4 weeks. So they must have excess inventory of the LR RWD prior to staring MR production?

Where would it make sense to call 2 an "excess", especially when one is LITERALLY across the country from you???? As has been stated before, there can be numerous reasons the car is sitting at a Service Center/Showroom.

On another note, smart move from MR to LR. The MR is great, if you were going with SR to begin with. But LR is where its at!!

Last edited:
To answer several of your questions/comments in the same place:
-- I really like the car. I would give it 8 out of 10. I am fine with range and acceleration.

-- Someone coming across from driving gas car will need a while to adjust to it. I took me a while to get used to it, and my wife is still not comfortable with it because she does not want to take the time to get used to it. And we both are veteran LEAF drivers.

-- Please note that I only compared 60 to 80 performance against 320i. Model 3 is way better than 320i in just about every respect.

-- I know that a lot of people (rightfully so) are focused on range. But I don't think it matters that much after you get above 200 unless you drive a lot and have very unpredictable driving needs (e.g. you work as a Realtor). And on that twice-per-year road trip an extra stop is not going to be that big of a deal. I am willing to do it if it saves me about 10% of the cost of the car. Now, if you do a road trip per month, then the story may be different. For example, I have a friend who goes to his cabin every 3-4 weeks. For him not having to stop may be worth the extra money. Here is how I look at it: if my payment is $50 per month less on this car, that's a cost of dinner every month as I make an extra stop to charge.

Thanks for trimming and timing my video. I am sure that full, warm battery, combined with clean (dust-free) road, and sportier tires could see results in 5.5 or better range.

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe and V__2
I know I'm being impatient, but I have to say the fact that I ordered this car 3 weeks ago and haven't received so much as a text or call saying "Thanks for ordering! Let us know if you have any questions." is pathetic.

Tesla really needs to step their customer service game up.

Reactions: V__2
I know I'm being impatient, but I have to say the fact that I ordered this car 3 weeks ago and haven't received so much as a text or call saying "Thanks for ordering! Let us know if you have any questions." is pathetic.

Tesla really needs to step their customer service game up.

I think we all agree on that front. After 1-2 weeks at most, they should be able to provide a more detailed timeline on delivery. It makes one wonder if they just made up the 6-10 week timeline and are now frantically figuring out how to achieve it.

Reactions: V__2 and 64robots
I changed my Zip a few times, including my work which is under 10 miles from a delivery center. No dice...home delivery. As long as it doesn't push me into next year I'm cool with someone dropping off a car at my house :)

Maybe something I can change down the road?

May be too tired at night when I have time to check but where do you see how the car will be delivered? Vaguely remember being told the car will be delivered to my home during ordering but can't find this on the page? Maybe it requires visiting from a desktop browser? BTW I am just ~8 miles from the closest center.

So I did my best to time the 0-60 run @ivan801 so graciously posted down to the millisecond.

I recorded his video with my phone, then used Android's video editor to trim the clip to the precise frame when the 0 turns to 1 to the frame where it turns from 59-60. Then I opened the file in MPC-HC, which can display the length and current position of a video down to 3 decimal places.

His run (taking into consideration that he has <50% battery in the video, which supposedly slows down 0-60 times a bit, at least on the performance models), clocks in at precisely 5.675 seconds:View attachment 351247
Can yo do your voodoo and break down the 0-30 as well? I drive a Gen 1 Volt and would love if the Tesla is faster from 0.

Anybody know what the chances are of actually getting the vehicle within the 4 week time frame Tesla specified in the email they sent out regarding the MR being available? I’m in SoCal so just trying to be realistic about when I will get it.

Anybody know what the chances are of actually getting the vehicle within the 4 week time frame Tesla specified in the email they sent out regarding the MR being available? I’m in SoCal so just trying to be realistic about when I will get it.
I am in LA and ordered 10/18 and haven’t heard a thing in 3 weeks. I don’t expect to get my car in the next week. Maybe in December.