Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might order my 3 soon, very begrudgingly.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I understand this correctly?
- $49k - $7.5k ($41.5k) brand new car with tons of feature "outrageously overpriced"

- yet plans to buy a 5 year old used car that is clearly inferior for $45k, to sell it a year from now to buy $35k car

- early 3/31 reservation holder with configuration email.

And all... in the name of saving money?!!

Those who make less / spend less - demand more/doesn't understand economics/doesn't understand business/has more entitlements.

It's a frustrating paradigm I have to deal with every single day.

TexasEV - I provide thought provoking commentary.
One man’s “thought provoking commentary” is another man’s bitching and moaning.

You don't see people complain to Apple about a iphone upgrade from 32GB to 128GB costing $200 for what amounts to $10 worth of NAND but somehow Tesla is "greedy".
Apparently you don’t spend much time on Apple forums :D

And I see a $14,000 wrong against the American car buyer here.
Then don't buy. Use that American freedom and buy a car from a different manufacturer.

I haven't even considered the tax credit, I would not see it until early 2019 anyway.
You're running numbers and you aren't taking the tax credit into account? It's not a deduction. It's an "AMT can f#ck off" credit.

I put my Model 3 reservation on hold because I am waiting for AWD version. Though if Elon is willing to put OP on the ban list ala
Elon Musk personally cancels blogger's Tesla order after 'rude' post

I'll gladly buy OP's reservation. Kind of an expensive purchase for purposes of principle but my kids will learn its more effective to work harder and seek multi-faceted understanding than uselessly complain about things from an entitled, self-serving worldview.

Pittsburgh non-owner, reserved in the first 10 minutes on 3/31. Got my configuration email a few weeks ago. I didn't place an order for a 3, because I don't need or want the outrageously overpriced options, the LR battery and PUP interior. Then Tesla announces that the $35,000 configuration that Elon promised us won't "be available" for another year.

After some thinking, I decided to go with a CPO Model S instead, but after missing the order on one car, and not being approved for enough financing on another, I started working the numbers. If I got a $45K CPO S, kept it a year, then bought a $35K Model 3, then between depreciation and paying loan fees and sales taxes twice, it wouldn't be much of a good deal.

So, very begrudgingly, I will order my 3 as is with the $49,000 configuration that is being forced upon us. Only thing I need is an ok from the finance place, so I should know by monday or tuesday about that.

Tesla is reminding me of when I lived in the SFV in Los Angeles for several years, and you couldn't go near some supermarkets or 7-11's without some panhandler trying to get change off of you. Tesla is the panhandler now. They are saying "Want a 3? Fine, but you can only have one if you order these extra options that are mostly PROFIT for us".

The word "option" implies that these items are OPTIONAL. Forcing us to get them to get the car is not optional.

Tesla, for your greed, I feel that you owe me more for my $49,000. Maybe a performance upgrade so that my 3 can pull sub 4.5 0-60 runs and high 12's in the quarter mile. At least that's something.
It's not greed. Tesla just had a record $675 million loss in Q4 2017. Selling the higher end configurations first is necessary to give them enough cash to bring the production on line. Selling the least profitable version first (or even money losing as a lot of analysts are predicting the $35k version might be) is a recipe for killing the company, if delays and problems in the production line continue. Trump's new tariffs will only make things worse.

It's not like Tesla had dropped the $35k model, it's just going to be later than the higher end configurations (which quite frankly should have been expected given past history).

Some of you may be saying that I should just keep my current car and wait to order a 3. True, but at the moment I have a guy lined up to buy my current Challenger R/T at a price nearly $2K over the "excellent" condition value on kbb. I think he has lots of money and he likes the car. So if I don't sell to him, I will lose thousands by selling to anyone else.

First World Problems! :eek:
I agree with the others, don't buy the car. You won't be happy with it if you come in feeling like you are bilked and you are buying something you don't want. If you come back here to complain after doing so, there will be plenty of people who will be saying "I told you so".

To cover a few people's points:

Cwerdna - thanks, you described my position fairly accurately.

I've never researched the big automakers for when they make a new model, if they do or don't release the low cost version at the same time as the expensive version or not. But I'm willing to bet that in most cases, the low cost version is not restricted. Maybe all paint colors aren't available at all times in the model year, but that's usually not an expensive option. And if Tesla wants to play with the big boys, they've got to play the game the big boys play. Tesla is claiming their way is better.
That's your problem, you never researched before making your claims. For cars in the Model 3's class any color other what white or black are extra cost options (for example for 3 series $550 option, C-Class that cost $5000 more in the first place $720-1515 option, $575-3900).

What don't people like about traditional dealerships? They overcharge, try to make too much profit, try to take all they can from the customer. Now what is Tesla doing with the Model 3? Hmmm..... something very similar. And Tesla is doing it for $14,000 per car!
Huh? Tesla is still offering the $35k version. You just have to wait longer. The difference with Tesla is everyone pays the same price, no need to haggle. For traditional dealerships, they simply just don't stock the barebones model (plus they tack on useless dealer options).

Also, for cars in as high demand as the Model 3, they tack on "market adjustments" that just go straight to their pocket. The $14k is obviously not the same because for the money you are getting the larger battery pack and also the premium package. And the prices there are not out of line versus equivalent engine upgrade options and interior/tech packages for cars of the same class.

Also, for cars in as high demand as the Model 3, they tack on "market adjustments" that just go straight to their pocket. The $14k is obviously not the same because for the money you are getting the larger battery pack and also the premium package. And the prices there are not out of line versus equivalent engine upgrade options and interior/tech packages for cars of the same class.

It would have never crossed his mind that there are plenty of people who would of added those options because it makes for a nicer and more flexible car.

I haven't even considered the tax credit, I would not see it until early 2019 anyway.
You should figure that in along w/phaseout (at bottom of Federal Tax Credits for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Cars).

You may be able to realize the savings from the $7500 credit a bit earlier by reducing your Federal withholdings for this year once you receive your 3, assuming you order it.
Apparently you don’t spend much time on Apple forums :D
Indeed. I sometimes frequent MacRumors Forums and there's plenty of moaning about Apple's pricing and markup, esp. on RAM and storage upgrades/tiers, which they've made even worse (e.g. AFAIK, current MacBook Pros w/touch bar have the SSD soldered into the mobo, there's no way to swap out the included one for a larger one, ditto for RAM).

For traditional dealerships, they simply just don't stock the barebones model (plus they tack on useless dealer options).
For your 1st point, that's not true. Folks have already gotten S trim (lowest trim) 2018 Leafs. I've seen pretty bare bones new cars at dealers plenty of times.

The 02 Nissan Maxima I bought near the end of 01 was the lowest trim: GXE. There were virtually no options you could get on that trim anyway. Apparently, for 02 model year, GXE trim was rare w/supposedly only 5% being those. There were two other trims: SE and GLE. Mine came w/no useless dealer options nor has any new car I've ever bought or leased.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Maybe if Tesla were more up front about their reasons, that would help. Instead of saying they are making only a few configurations now to "minimize complexity", they should just say "Dudes. We spent billions to design these cars and we need some financial recompense ASAP". I could have more respect for that.

Because it doesn't make sense to me, that if the battery production is just getting under way, that they would choose to build the battery that requires a lot more cells in every car. And why include the extra interior stuff and leather and power seats and all that if the goal is to keep it simple and quick?

Must be the money.

Pittsburgh non-owner, reserved in the first 10 minutes on 3/31. Got my configuration email a few weeks ago. I didn't place an order for a 3, because I don't need or want the outrageously overpriced options, the LR battery and PUP interior. Then Tesla announces that the $35,000 configuration that Elon promised us won't "be available" for another year.

After some thinking, I decided to go with a CPO Model S instead, but after missing the order on one car, and not being approved for enough financing on another, I started working the numbers. If I got a $45K CPO S, kept it a year, then bought a $35K Model 3, then between depreciation and paying loan fees and sales taxes twice, it wouldn't be much of a good deal.

So, very begrudgingly, I will order my 3 as is with the $49,000 configuration that is being forced upon us. Only thing I need is an ok from the finance place, so I should know by monday or tuesday about that.

Tesla is reminding me of when I lived in the SFV in Los Angeles for several years, and you couldn't go near some supermarkets or 7-11's without some panhandler trying to get change off of you. Tesla is the panhandler now. They are saying "Want a 3? Fine, but you can only have one if you order these extra options that are mostly PROFIT for us".

The word "option" implies that these items are OPTIONAL. Forcing us to get them to get the car is not optional.

Tesla, for your greed, I feel that you owe me more for my $49,000. Maybe a performance upgrade so that my 3 can pull sub 4.5 0-60 runs and high 12's in the quarter mile. At least that's something.

Some of you may be saying that I should just keep my current car and wait to order a 3. True, but at the moment I have a guy lined up to buy my current Challenger R/T at a price nearly $2K over the "excellent" condition value on kbb. I think he has lots of money and he likes the car. So if I don't sell to him, I will lose thousands by selling to anyone else.

First World Problems! :eek:

This may seem odd, but one benefit to buying a more expensive case is that the residual value will be higher, so you are not completely out of pocket for the entire difference between base and pup LR. also, if Tesla does manage to get the autonomous car network going. Your car will be worth more just due to the range alone. Less downtime charging so even if you don't put it into the network, when you go to sell it, it will have more value. Not much of a consolation but every bit helps.

Reactions: MXWing
I'll gladly buy OP's reservation. Kind of an expensive purchase for purposes of principle but my kids will learn its more effective to work harder and seek multi-faceted understanding than uselessly complain about things from an entitled, self-serving worldview.
Trust me, he will want a $5000 profit to sell his invitation. Money talks.
Must be the money.
May be it must be what people want?

Reactions: MXWing
Indeed. I sometimes frequent MacRumors Forums and there's plenty of moaning about Apple's pricing and markup, esp. on RAM and storage upgrades/tiers, which they've made even worse (e.g. AFAIK, current MacBook Pros w/touch bar have the SSD soldered into the mobo, there's no way to swap out the included one for a larger one, ditto for RAM).

Also a MacRumors forum reader here, and I think I can say with a high level of confidence that TMC's future is what MacRumors looks like today.

Apple sold its newest iPhones with a base of 16GB storage for many years (through the 6s, I believe), and made the next storage tier 64 GB, for $100 extra. People were infuriated, because 16GB was rapidly becoming insufficient given the growing space requirements of iOS and increasingly bloated apps. Many people calculated that 16GB was too small for their needs, but that 64GB was too much, and angrily denounced Apple for not offering a 32GB entry point as a way to boost ASP by pushing people to 64GB.

None of this seems to have dented Apple's sales in the least.

Maybe if Tesla were more up front about their reasons, that would help. Instead of saying they are making only a few configurations now to "minimize complexity", they should just say "Dudes. We spent billions to design these cars and we need some financial recompense ASAP". I could have more respect for that.

Because it doesn't make sense to me, that if the battery production is just getting under way, that they would choose to build the battery that requires a lot more cells in every car. And why include the extra interior stuff and leather and power seats and all that if the goal is to keep it simple and quick?

Must be the money.

Tesla’s reasons for this have been very apparent for anyone that is following them, or following these forums.
I don’t understand why you are buying the model 3.
If I believed a company was dishonest and was ripping off buyers, I wouldn’t give them my money.
Go buy a Bolt, they work very well.

Personally, I feel many car dealerships rip people off, which is why I don’t give them my business.
Speak with your wallet.

Don't buy what you don't want. For now, many Model 3's come equipped with issues. Some big, some tiny. Some really annoying. Every one of them will remind you how you were "forced" to buy something you didn't want. That's a recipe for misery. For you. For your service center. For everyone.
Find something you do want. Buy that instead. Or just wait for your preferred configuration. The car will be more sorted then and you won't feel forced.
Robin

I've never researched the big automakers for when they make a new model, if they do or don't release the low cost version at the same time as the expensive version or not. But I'm willing to bet that in most cases, the low cost version is not restricted.

When I bought a Toyota Highlander Hybrid in 2005 the options were: ... none.

I could only get the Limited 4WD in 7 seats and with a $4k dealer markup. Take it... or go back on the waiting list.

It wasn’t until a year later that Toyota started offering cheaper trim options.

Actually, I feel that we are being forced into it. Tesla knows that many people have been waiting 2+ years, and they are taking advantage of that to extract more PROFIT from us. Not everyone will pay the extra cash, but some will, and Tesla is using that to their advantage in an unethical way. Maybe if we had the choice of taking one obscenely overpriced option or the other, instead of both, it wouldn't be so bad.

There's no way Tesla can justify a $9000 cost for the big battery. The extra parts simply don't cost that much. There's a good $6500 to $7000 of profit there.

I sense from your posts that aside from your legitimate beef with having to wait longer for what was promised, you mention the word PROFIT in caps several times. Whats wrong with profit? Why should Tesla not profit? Tesla clearly has something people want - a cornered market if you will. If they can't profit now, then we'll never see the light of the $35K car down the road. There is nothing secret or evil or mean about this strategy - Tesla has stated it for some time now.

I think you'll really enjoy this car - even though you don't want it now - you'll be happy with it. Especially if you're coming from a Charger - having the extra battery capacity means you can do more 0-60 runs sub 6 second - something the smaller pack won't be able to do. Tesla's doing you a favor :)

Reactions: SpiceWare