Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Might switch to Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. I'm a huge Tesla fan, and also a huge Porsche fan. I currently have a Dual Motor LR which I really like. I love the car for all the same reasons you guys do, but have always been a bit disappointed with the build quality and quality of materials. This may be in part because I've been used to Porsches in the past. I still have a 1982 911 SC. When I first got the Model 3 it had to have a few things corrected (seat foam missing a piece, panel gaps) and now it will have to go in for a dash pad replacement due to bubbling in a few spots. Now that the Taycan is out I'm seriously thinking about getting the 4S. I realize that it carries a 50 - 55K premium over my Model 3, but the thought of having another electric option that is a real drivers car but also includes typical Porsche quality and driving characteristics might be worth it to me. Anyone else have this thought, or am I alone on this one?

Now that the Taycan is out I'm seriously thinking about getting the 4S. I realize that it carries a 50 - 55K premium over my Model 3, but the thought of having another electric option that is a real drivers car but also includes typical Porsche quality and driving characteristics might be worth it to me. Anyone else have this thought, or am I alone on this one?

Brace yourself, Tesla fans are coming.

I can't blame ya, the Taycan looks like a damn good car but the 4S at ~$100K isn't a "full" porsche i think, it mainly has the "partial leather" interior so i'm not sure how much better than Model 3 it will be for almost 100% more money. I bet Porsche really wants people to buy the Turbo models right now so they will certainly have more bells and whistles for that extra $40K (and we all know Porsche likes to nickel/dime for things, so 4S may suffer because of that).

Still, its a damn good car and i can't wait to see one at the track!

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo
Just don’t forget how much better the supercharger network is than the alternatives.

But yea if you don’t plan on taking it on long trips and don’t need a lot of range then that would be a huge upgrade. That car seems amazing based on what I’ve read.

Reactions: Magnets!
Just don’t forget how much better the supercharger network is than the alternatives.

But yea if you don’t plan on taking it on long trips and don’t need a lot of range then that would be a huge upgrade. That car seems amazing based on what I’ve read.

And consider range. EPA rated at 200 miles. Are you charging to 100%? Are you going to risk driving down to 0%? How far will you go when driving it hard? My motorcycle likely has a similar range, but I can fill up anywhere.

And at over 400 Wh consumption, if you don't have access to a fast charger, a L2 is going to take a while to give you back the spent miles.

I would not buy a first generation EV from any automaker. It will be like the 2008 Roadster all over again. Let someone else work out the bugs.

With Porsche I’m sure the driving experience will be great and the interior will be very nice. But EVs are also about technology, and I don’t see Porsche ever competing with Tesla on the software aspect of the vehicle.

Really should be comparing a Model S Performance in that Price Range (cheapest Taycan) and Size Vehicle.

All Tesla's have some workmanship issues but I think the Model S/X is definitely a step up from the Model 3.
That's the main reason why I traded my Model 3 Performance for an X and have zero regrets.

Have you ever taken a Model S Performance for a test drive. Do yourself a favor before you commit.
It's still no Porsche materials wise but it's heck of lot closer than a Model 3.

In their defense, i think Porsche knows what they're doing with these cars, they've been working with electric motors for quite a while.

Porsche 919 Hybrid - Wikipedia

I’m not concerned with the motors or any aspect of the hardware. I’m sure it will all be great. But Tesla has radically changed the design of a vehicle from being a hardware platform to a software platform. That is what allows the car to keep getting better every month. They have a huge software development team working on this. What is Porsche’s commitment to building out a software platform to compete with the Tesla operating system?

Reactions: kbecks13
Really should be comparing a Model S Performance in that Price Range (cheapest Taycan) and Size Vehicle.

All Tesla's have some workmanship issues but I think the Model S/X is definitely a step up from the Model 3.
That's the main reason why I traded my Model 3 Performance for an X and have zero regrets.

Have you ever taken a Model S Performance for a test drive. Do yourself a favor before you commit.
It's still no Porsche materials wise but it's heck of lot closer than a Model 3.

I've driven a Model S performance and frankly while it's a super fast car, it's not the drivers car that the 3 is...that's why I bought the 3. I think the Taycan is also a drivers car.

There was a pop up Porsche Taycan store at the Santa Monica supercharger where they let you sit inside the car and play with it. It was a nice car with great interior. If I have the money, I would buy one was a weekend car.

This is not a car I would want to drive long distance due to the lack of fast chargers. Even EVgo around the area is only at 50kw and they are very expensive to use. I was hoping that all Porsche dealers would have fast chargers but then again they are not anywhere between the i-5 from SF to LA.

Also, the lack of Autopilot would be a deal breaker in daily LA traffic.

I say go for it if you can afford it. I will be a treat to see on the street. I’m so sick of seeing Model 3s everywhere.

Reactions: kbecks13
And consider range. EPA rated at 200 miles. Are you charging to 100%? Are you going to risk driving down to 0%? How far will you go when driving it hard? My motorcycle likely has a similar range, but I can fill up anywhere.

And at over 400 Wh consumption, if you don't have access to a fast charger, a L2 is going to take a while to give you back the spent miles.

After having my 3 for a year now, I haven't used a charging network much. I charge at home and work as needed. On road trips I would search out charing options ahead of time. Basically, the majority of the automotive world will be EV fairly soon, and I only see charging options for non Tesla cars increasing dramatically over the next few years.

We are considering the Taycan as a replacement for our 2016 Volt. It would be my wife's car and she doesn't want another Tesla after our horrible delivery experience with our Model 3 Performance. I'm letting her decide since it's going to be her car. After driving a 2012 Nissan Leaf, she is okay with the EPA estimated range of the Taycan.

Former owner of a 1985.5 Porsche 944, which I've been told when I got it, that it wasn't a real Porsche...

Reactions: gowthamn
I’m so sick of seeing Model 3s everywhere.

While I’m more than happy to see Taycans on the road, I don’t think there’s such a thing as too many Model 3’s. Every single Model 3 I see is one less gas engine I would’ve seen. The electric future can’t get here fast enough.