Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Miles on Delivered New Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new custom order in. I told the rep I would "refuse" the car if it had more than 20 miles on the odometer - he hasn't replied. A previous "new" car I bought had a couple hundred.

Maybe 20 is low but not by much. Is that unreasonable?
No you'll be well under that. I had 9 on one and 11 on the other.
You're prepared delivery paperwork will say 50, because it always does for everyone.

I have a new custom order in. I told the rep I would "refuse" the car if it had more than 20 miles on the odometer - he hasn't replied. A previous "new" car I bought had a couple hundred.

Out of curiosity, why? This is something that's clearly out of the salesman's control and if you did refuse the car if it had 21 or 25 or 30 miles on it then it would just make life difficult for a lot of people. If everyone tried to pull something like this it would just raise prices as tesla would wind up with extra cars that they would have to sell at a discount and lose some of their profit on.

I could certainly understand asking some questions if the car had a couple hundred miles on it, but refusing to take a new car because it has 21 miles just seems a bit ridiculous and telling your sales rep something like that is just likely to get you labeled as a 'difficult' customer.

Don't ever buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, or other exotic car. Most of these are test driven at the factory for more than 20 miles.

There's no break-in on a Tesla, so if there isn't specific damage to the car from an extra 10 miles, then what difference does it make? Even if someone drove around at full throttle for 10 miles the car isn't worn out.

Tesla takes like 50 cents a mile off when you trade in. If the car has 21 miles, make them pay you 50 cents ;)

It really is. While your car likely will have under 20 miles on it, that's an unreasonable "line in the sand" when it comes to taking delivery, even for a custom order. The only way I would refuse for under 50 miles would be if there were signs of misuse (although I really don't know how in the world a custom order can get up to 50). Fifty could be next to nothing for an inventory car, though.

I might go up to 100 for some swag, but I'd raise some serious questions as to how it got to that point, even for an inventory car.

A couple hundred is not acceptable without some real adjustment (even if it's only knocking off $100 or something along those lines), and 500 is downright outrageous without price adjustment and warranty extension.

Yes, that is unreasonable.
They do test drive each new car on the track behind the factory.
Also, the cars are driven around in transit.
You will probably have less than 20 miles but it is unrealistic to demand that.
All of the paperwork for new cars says 50 miles.

Reactions: hpartsch
That's why I'm asking. It's not an ICE where break in is more important. But it's not a stick in the sand either. It's more a matter of principle - and not for 20 miles either.

I've just been there, done that with another car. The factory does whatever it does. I just want the dealer to understand this isn't something he can use, just because he can. As long as he and I have that understanding, I'm sure it will be fine.

By the way, maybe I'm being anal, but doesn't anyone break in new brake pads/rotors any more? That's more my .motivation than anything else.

Don't ever buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, or other exotic car. Most of these are test driven at the factory for more than 20 miles.
My 1978 Ferrari 308GT4 had 550. It had been driven for the delivery, or so I was told. That was a very long time ago, but I still remember the car and my license number: DUL V8. It wasn't.

Reactions: KArnold
By the way, maybe I'm being anal, but doesn't anyone break in new brake pads/rotors any more? That's more my .motivation than anything else.

As someone that replaces brake pads on cars 4X a year due to track use, I've never heard of "breaking in" brake systems. I've heard of bedding brake pads, which involves transferring pad material to the rotors to optimize the friction surface. However, this can be done any time, and doesn't involve the pads and rotors needing to wear in to match one another. It just involves getting them hot so some of the material transfer can occur.

My Tesla was delivered with 9 miles, and was delivered with about 20 other cars that day. There's really no way for the "dealer" to use the car. They're way to busy at the end of the quarter just delivering them. I know they are expensive and a big deal to us, but the Tesla stores are flooded with Teslas.

Reactions: bonnie