Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Minor accident using autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, all. I'm new to the forum (and a relatively new Tesla owner). Was hoping to get some feedback from the forum regarding a recent disappointing incident. I was driving my car on some back roads and wanted to test out the Autopilot away from the highway. I was going around the speed limit (25mph) and was watching the road closely with my hands on the wheel. I was noting that the car seemed to be hugging the side of the road, but it was keeping enough distance (or so I thought) from the edge.

Unfortunately, the car then hit a small boulder on the side of the road. It did significant damage to my front left wheel and also damaged the fender.

Here's my question: about a week before delivering my car, Tesla sent me a notice that my car wouldn't have sensors and instead would rely entirely on cameras. There's probably no chance Tesla is going to take care of this damage for me, but I'm interested to know if this would have likely been avoided had my car come with sensors.

What year/model, i.e. is there footage saved? AP would only be active if there are lane markers vs an an actual rural country road so would be interested in seeing just where this boulder was in relation to the road/markers.
Sorry this happened, though, esp as one of your first experiences with AP.

What year/model, i.e. is there footage saved? AP would only be active if there are lane markers vs an an actual rural country road so would be interested in seeing just where this boulder was in relation to the road/markers.
Sorry this happened, though, esp as one of your first experiences with AP.
The definition of rural country roads is a bit subjective. There are many around where I live that are paved, have a center line marking, but no outside right edge of the road lane line or marking. My experience is AP can be active on roads without side line or markers. I've driven on many that are like that with AP active. It's detection of the right hand side of the road without a side line is a bit approximate, which can lead to the type of issue that the OP stated.

The definition of rural country roads is a bit subjective. There are many around where I live that are paved, have a center line marking, but no outside right edge of the road lane line or marking. My experience is AP can be active on roads without side line or markers. I've driven on many that are like that with AP active. It's detection of the right hand side of the road without a side line is a bit approximate, which can lead to the type of issue that the OP stated.
Hence why we need more details from OP (and hopefully footage as they said it was a $100k car so not a dinosaur nosecone like mine 😀).

I
Hello, all. I'm new to the forum (and a relatively new Tesla owner). Was hoping to get some feedback from the forum regarding a recent disappointing incident. I was driving my car on some back roads and wanted to test out the Autopilot away from the highway. I was going around the speed limit (25mph) and was watching the road closely with my hands on the wheel. I was noting that the car seemed to be hugging the side of the road, but it was keeping enough distance (or so I thought) from the edge.

Unfortunately, the car then hit a small boulder on the side of the road. It did significant damage to my front left wheel and also damaged the fender.
I take it you're in a country where you drive on the left side of the road?

I dont think USS (ultrasonic sensors) are used for anything other than parking, but if they are, someone will correct me.
My AP1 X once swerved away to the right from semi that passed too close to me in the passing lane and uss blinked red on the dash
AP wasn't even engaged so i think they are used but maybe not in the same capacity as parking

OP, as others mentioned, Tesla won't be liable even if boulder was in the lane n car was centered
AP/FSD is not detecting small objects/potholes in current form, hopefully at some point, it would be a nice feature to try to imitate human driving
However, even us humans sometimes can't detect objects because of the cars in front of us, sometimes its bad luck

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
You would do good to familiarize yourself with the 57 ways Tesla absolves themselves of all responsibility for your incident on this page of the owners manual:

You must maintain control of the vehicle at all times. You didn’t, and you hit something. That’s unfortunate and I feel for you but there is no universe where the responsibility and damages are on anyone but the driver.

Here's my question: about a week before delivering my car, Tesla sent me a notice that my car wouldn't have sensors and instead would rely entirely on cameras. There's probably no chance Tesla is going to take care of this damage for me, but I'm interested to know if this would have likely been avoided had my car come with sensors.
I'm sorry for your rough introduction to Teslas and AP. Bummer!

My 2021 MY LR has ultrasonic sensors. Autopilot hit an orange cone while driving on the highway. I figured that if the cones were showing up on the display then the car knew about them and would not hit them. I was wrong. I agree with JJ. If the ultrasonic sensors are used at all then it is only for parking.

On the plus side, if FSD continues to improve then in a year or two (maybe sooner) they will move AP to the FSD stack and problems like this will be much less frequent.

^ Generally pretty sound advice, but there isn't even remotely a chance of winning any legal action against Tesla here. I wouldn't waste the time and money on an attorney consult here.

Autopilot is and has always been a hands on the wheel and pay attention system. It's definitely not expected to avoid road debris and hazards.