Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mirrors unfold "randomly" in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my mirrors set to auto-fold based on location (and, I believe also via HomeLink). If I leave my car unlocked in the garage, sometimes when I go out there (without the key), I see that the mirrors have unfolded themselves. Not sure if there is any rhyme or reason to why/when this happens. The only thing that seems to keep it from happening is if I lock the car (but I generally prefer to leave it unlocked in the garage).

Any advice on why this is happening and if there's anything I can do to make them not unfold?

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
Same for me!
Half the time they work as programmed (Fold approaching garage, unfold after I exit and drive away), half the time they unfold as I start to reverse out.
It's down on my growing list of software issues: currently it's # 24.
I have to say, much as I like driving the MS, for a company which acts more like a software company than a car manufacturer, there's a hell of a lot of the software that is very substandard. One hopes that the FSD rewrite will address this but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: QUBO and COS Blue
So if you are parked close enough to a wall that it would hit when opened (that’s the benefit of having them fold right?), would the mirror be damaged? (Have car on order but not taken delivery yet)

Well yes, of course. Given that most doors are narrower than the walls if you reverse out with them unfolded you run the risk of them hitting. It's actually a slight risk but the thing is that the unfolding is random, like so many other software driven things on the car that behave randomly.
It's possible that settings are changed during updates without your knowledge - there are so many combinations it's just not feasible to monitor everything.
I suspect that this screen-only cockpit - no buttons - is not just because of an "it's possible so let's do it " but because hitting a touchscreen accurately on the move is much easier when the car drives itself and you are able to take a few seconds to go through menus and hit the right icon. That makes sense. But not now it doesn't, and real legal and safe FSD is miles away.

Reactions: COS Blue
It's a mating ritual. The Model S is trying to get your other car's attention, which is likely ignoring it. You are best off replacing the other car with another Tesla.

Of course, then you get the opposite problem. When we go into the garage and get into the Model S, our Model X opens the driver's door, basically saying "Drive me, drive me!"

I have the same issue but have noticed a pattern. Mine seems to depend on the location in the garage. If I pull too far in, then I have difficulty connecting with my phone app and the mirrors unfold. It's like it doesn't know any more where it is and reverts to standard mirror position. If I leave the car further back, closer to the door, my connectivity improves and the mirrors stay folded. Not sure if that explains your issue - but the difference in my car position varying by a couple of feet does seem to matter.

I've also had this problem for a while (Model S). I've got the mirrors set to auto-fold, which it does. Then, in the morning, they're unfolded. I I suspect the car wakes up at some point, says 'Where am I?', the GPS hasn't had its coffee yet so gives some random location, so the car says 'Oh, I've moved - better unfold those mirrors!'.

Mine happens pretty much every day. I keep hoping a SW update will fix it (something complicated like "Don't unfold the mirrors when no one's in the car"), but so far no dice. It has gotten a little better - sometimes it used to only unfold one of them!

Of course, I could turn off the auto-fold, but it's soo cool!

• Informative
Folks, try saving your current profile when you have the mirrors folded parked in the garage before you get out of the car. If saving is grey, change something else, and save, then change that thing back to what you wanted with the mirror folded - save profile.

Reactions: jlv1
Folks, try saving your current profile when you have the mirrors folded parked in the garage before you get out of the car. If saving is grey, change something else, and save, then change that thing back to what you wanted with the mirror folded - save profile.
I recently opened a Service Ticket for this issue. What you recommended is what they had me do. It worked, so I allowed them to close the Ticket. A couple of days later, the problem reappeared.

• Informative
Perform more than one save, and with the mirrors at different positions. This may be unrelated to your situation, but then please use it as an example. Not - at - home - put the car in Reverse and change the position of your mirrors so they serve you best backing up. I for instance point them down at the rear wheels where the curb would be. And Save Profile. Now, put the car in Park or Drive and check the mirrors position - meaning put them where you want them to be for normal driving. Now, Save Profile again, same profile. I think you will find the mirrors stay put. And you can do this again at home in add fold or open mirrors. I would not fold while in reverse.

I wanted to follow-up again on this thread, as the problem has never gone away, I've opened several Tesla Service tickets, did another online search for the issue/solution, and was led me right back to here. :rolleyes:

I've performed all the known 'solutions,' to no avail. I even blew away my profile and started from scratch, making adjustments, then saving/updating the profile a multitude of times. I've come to realize that it's a software issue that only manifests itself in certain circumstances. I thought I figured out what that circumstance was based on my particular environment: I have a 3-car garage and two separate garage door openers. I've got HomeLink set up for both of them. I read where you set your mirrors to auto-fold in your HomeLink setting (this is a different location than the main menu setting). I did have it set for my double door (the one I park the car in), but did not have it set for the single door. Then I thought, maybe the car doesn't know it's 'exact' location or is otherwise confused and is using the setting for the single door. So, I made sure it was set for that one, as well. And, IT WORKED...for a while. :( Back to the drawing board....

Right now, I have another Tesla Service ticket open for the issue. After about 4 tickets, I finally convinced them it's a software issue that only occurs in certain circumstances so they forwarded it the the Software Group. We'll see what happens...

Reactions: Wol747 and jlv1
joe.smith

You're absolutely right - it's a SW issue, and I suspect it's random based on how the car wakes up. For me, turning off 'don't lock at home' prevented them from unfolding on their own, but they still sometimes unfold when I start the car (and sometimes fold back up again immediately). I'm not a big fan of 'how are they ever going to get to full self-driving if they can't even do xxx', but ... how are they ever going to get to full-self driving if they can't even figure out when to unfold the mirrors?

Here's hoping that your diligent badgering will get them to figure this out.

Reactions: Wol747
Mine has started to do this in the past month or so. I had MCU2 installed in February.

Sometimes when I go to reverse out of my garage with the mirrors folded out, the car will realize "oh, I'm at home, better fold those mirrors in!" and other times it doesn't care and leaves them out so I have to retract them manually using the button on the door.

Mine has started to do this in the past month or so. I had MCU2 installed in February.

Sometimes when I go to reverse out of my garage with the mirrors folded out, the car will realize "oh, I'm at home, better fold those mirrors in!" and other times it doesn't care and leaves them out so I have to retract them manually using the button on the door.
Yes, it's the randomness of many of the "issues" that's unhelpful. One wonders how robust the FSD programming is?

I've changed software updates to standard and not advanced about a year ago. It seems since the last update my mirrors now have a mind of their own, especially in my garage. Unfortunately my single car bay opening is a bit tight for a wide body car like the Model S, so from day one I've always folded the mirrors manually before entering. With the past software updates, the mirrors fold before entry about 95% of the time. That's pretty cool!
However, better than 75% of the time the mirrors are unfolded when I enter the garage the next day. There's no reason to unfold until I leave the garage and drive down the street! Is there a fix coming, or have I been ghosted by a gremlin that won't leave :eek:

Reactions: Wol747