Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile Charger no longer included

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I don’t see the reason why some will go through the trouble of wiring the 14-50 outlet and put a breaker in for it when they can just run a heavier line and do the wall charger. It’s not a lot more labor to run a heavier line. I’m a contractor and I’ll have my electrician do mine. I opted to put a 100 amp sub panel in the garage and then run 4/3 copper to the wall charger. #1 SER is less money to buy than copper and that’s code for 100 amp sub panel. That way I am not running 60’ of copper from my panel.
A large number of people plan on using the mobile connector to charge. A wall connector is an additional $500+, plus installation costs and in many areas. As has already been explained multiple times, the issue is planning. It can take weeks or longer to schedule an electrician in some areas. It also takes a week to get an order from Tesla and you don't know when your car will be ready (I found out less than a week ahead of time with mine.)
As a contractor, you really paid a lot for that. I’m running 60’ to my garage with 100amp sub panel and a shorter section of 4/3 copper to the wall charge and it won’t even be anywhere close to what you paid. Was yours underground in conduit?
Yeah, it seemed high to me, too, but a lot depends on the labor rates in his area, too. We also don't know how the wire was run. Either way - Ouch!

Still complaining aren’t u?
I am ok with complaints about poor communication that make things harder on customers and workers. Elon does some impressive things. This is true. It is a also true he and Tesla seem not to be so great at some other things. Also true. So, both things are true, and it is ok to o complain about poor customer service.

Just was watching the recent interview, and am remaining open minded about his thoughts about Twitter, partly because what he is saying about transparency and clarity. He could work to (or better, he should probably just hire someone) improve that with Tesla.

I found this quote on an article on Teslarati "Following Tesla’s removal of the standard inclusion of the mobile charging connector, company representatives confirmed today any vehicle ordered after April 17 would not include the device." .... If this is true what the company rep is quoted as saying, then the existing vehicle orders prior to the announcement should still have the mobile connecter included? 🤔

Says nothing about all orders before 4/17. It only says orders after 4/17 won't include it and orders before 4/17 will include it if delivered in the next several weeks.
Crosspost from the Plaid forum... ;)

1650342450781.png
1650343054269.png

Last edited:
As a contractor, you really paid a lot for that.
What someone pays is really about supply and demand, so since you don't know where the poster is or how many electricians are available and how busy they are......You have no idea whether what the poster paid is "a lot" or not. Maybe it's a normal amount. Maybe that poster got it cheap, given the circumstances.

Reactions: sleepydoc
I just talked with my SA and they mirrored what everyone else has been saying. Order placed before the cutoff will include the mobile, afterwards it will not. Thank goodness. Now I just have to decide if I want to get the wall charger or just use a 14-50.

I just talked with my SA and they mirrored what everyone else has been saying. Order placed before the cutoff will include the mobile, afterwards it will not. Thank goodness. Now I just have to decide if I want to get the wall charger or just use a 14-50.
Some pros with the wall charger you wont be wearing out the 14-50 socket. They're not meant for daily use if you were taking your charger with you everyday. On the plus side the new $200 price tag you could just pick up a second mobile charger.

Some pros with the wall charger you wont be wearing out the 14-50 socket. They're not meant for daily use if you were taking your charger with you everyday. On the plus side the new $200 price tag you could just pick up a second mobile charger.
My question is the range that much more per night that it is worth it? I don't see myself maxing the range out on my daily driving, not even close. For $200 that probably is the smart move to get one and leave at the house and keep one in the car for emergencies as needed.

The signs could not be clearer that Tesla is guiding (herding?) customers to purchase the Wall Connector. At $275 the Mobile Connector and a 240V outlet such as the NEMA 14-50 can be a little more expensive than installing the Wall Connector. At the new price of $200 for the Mobile Connector it is a wash and the Wall Connector is fully weather rated, has a longer 24 foot charging cord. The Wall Connector also supports automatic load balancing if you add a second Wall Connector and can be programmed to only enable charging of specific Tesla vehicle VINs. An electrician might want to charge you more to install the Wall Connector than a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The cost of a permit, materials are within $200 of one another with the Mobile Connector requiring a GFCI circuit breaker ($100) and a quality NEMA 14-50 receptacle ($100). The labor cost would be the same.

Also, for the same 50 amp circuit the Wall Connector will enable charging at 40 amps (25% faster) instead of 32 amps as with the Mobile Connector.

Last edited:
The signs could not be clearer that Tesla is guiding (herding?) customers to purchase the Wall Connector. At $275 the Mobile Connector and a 240V outlet such as the NEMA 14-50 can be a little more expensive than installing the Wall Connector. At the new price of $200 for the Mobile Connector it is a wash and the Wall Connector is fully weather rated, has a longer 24 foot charging cord. The Wall Connector also supports automatic load balancing if you add a second Wall Connector and can be programmed to only enable charging of specific Tesla vehicle VINs. An electrician might want to charge you more to install the Wall Connector than a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The cost of a permit, materials are within $200 of one another. The labor cost would be the same.
I suppose so. I wonder, despite the "Tesla/Musk can do no wrong" types, if Tesla would have honored including the mobile connect for prior orders had there not been a fuss. Seems to be the business morals of the day any more. I want to think better of Tesla and Elon, but not so sure.

And certainly, this is the move they are taking, which I wanted not to do, as we may end up with a different branded EV, have friends visit with the same, etc., and is just easier.