Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ☰ License Plate Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is rather confusing in California you have to go thru serialized plates to get you from personalized ones, so if you get a car it will initially be issued normal plates and you pay extra and they send the custom ones when ready. When you move plates from one car to another it's painful, you cannot have two sets of plates at the same time, surrender one and get the other, and you cannot order personalized plates if you already have them... I am going to be moving the EV plate from my motorcycle so it will be painful, having to pay for plates that I won't be using for the whole year...

-Randy

Plates I've already seen on Teslas round here or thought of for myself but are already gone.. Not going to post any of the ones that are still available, as i may invest in a few now and sell them for a profit later.
LI-ION
LOL GAS
0 GAS
SUPACHG
LVL3CHG
LOL NO - with a plate surround "Pay 4 Gas?" Also works with other plate surrounds "You want a drive?")
3LECTRC
WARP 3
OIL LOL

In California, you will be paying extra for vanity plates.
Yes I've had vanity plates before and understand they are not free...I'm looking to not have to register once, then turn around and pay to have them replaced (possible for a surcharge) Putting on a sequential plate only to replace it immediately seems inefficient; just going straight to my personalized plates from the get-go was what I'm after and seeking advice on.

The only way to avoid a sequential plate is to already have the personalized plate in hand already. Give the plate to the dealer, dealer puts them on the car, and fills out the registration form assigning the new plates to the car.

The only way to pick up a set of personalized plates is to have a vehicle to put them on. No speculative ordering.

I've transferred plates to a new car with no sequential plate assigned when trading in an old car for a new one. Dealer just transferred the plate over and deregistered the old car. This week I'm picking up a personalized plate for one of my cars (the one I'm keeping after the 3 gets delivered), and I'm gonna ask the clerk if I can abuse the system by:

1) Ordering a new set of personalized plates
2) When they come in, assign them to my current owned car, and pay the "retain interest" for the current plates coming off the car.
3) Without leaving the desk, re-assign the older personalized plate back to the car, paying the retain interest fee for the new plates and keeping them
4) Give those plates to Tesla when the M3 is delivered.

I'm sure they'll say no, but it's worth an ask.

The only way to avoid a sequential plate is to already have the personalized plate in hand already. Give the plate to the dealer, dealer puts them on the car, and fills out the registration form assigning the new plates to the car.

The only way to pick up a set of personalized plates is to have a vehicle to put them on. No speculative ordering.

I've transferred plates to a new car with no sequential plate assigned when trading in an old car for a new one. Dealer just transferred the plate over and deregistered the old car. This week I'm picking up a personalized plate for one of my cars (the one I'm keeping after the 3 gets delivered), and I'm gonna ask the clerk if I can abuse the system by:

1) Ordering a new set of personalized plates
2) When they come in, assign them to my current owned car, and pay the "retain interest" for the current plates coming off the car.
3) Without leaving the desk, re-assign the older personalized plate back to the car, paying the retain interest fee for the new plates and keeping them
4) Give those plates to Tesla when the M3 is delivered.

I'm sure they'll say no, but it's worth an ask.
Keep us posted how that works out

I got this plate back in 2012.

Attachments

• usaev.jpg
    usaev.jpg
    966.3 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: Reef Club