Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model ☰ License Plate Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of being torn apart on here...I find vanity plates to be pretentious, and have no desire to give my state any more money than necessary for my tag. My dad has vanity plates on his vehicles so maybe I am just jaded. LOL
Here in California all vanity plate revenue goes to specific charities of your choice. My vanity plate fees go to battered children fund and the environmental fund. Call me pretentious. :rolleyes:

has anyone ordered plates in advance in California? I tried reading FAQ's on the DMV page but didn't find concrete answers.
For ex, if I'm expecting a new car end of 2017/early 2018, can I order the personalize plates now, pick them up in 12 weeks, and hang onto them until vehicle delivery?

A
Here in California all vanity plate revenue goes to specific charities of your choice. My vanity plate fees go to battered children fund and the environmental fund. Call me pretentious. :rolleyes:
And I think that is wonderful, seriously. I guess I just prefer to give my money directly to a local organization. Hey, people are being nicer about my comment than I expected. Respectful disagreement.

Just reserved this in VA.... hoping to get a non-scenic plate but the online configure site wouldn't show it.

Attachments

• dsrpt3r.gif
    dsrpt3r.gif
    19.1 KB · Views: 117
nvm found it! bummer...
View attachment 234006
There might still be hope. It says you can't pick them up unless you register them to a car...but doesn't say you can't pre-order the plates.

In Colorado, you can order the plate and they will keep it for you for up to a year. I ordered my plate in January 2016 but it wasn't manufactured until February/March 2016. I got my car in December 2016 and called the DMV in early February 2017 to confirm they still had my plate. They put an extra note on it saying I would be in later in the month to pick it up, once I got the documents for my purchase. I finally picked up the plates at the end of February 2017, more than a year after I ordered them, but only about 2 months after getting my new car.

ENRGIZE.jpg