Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 annoying beeping sounds like 'morse code'

Do you hear a high pitched morse-code sounding beep in your Model 3?

• Yes

Votes: 35 63.6%
  • No

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • Yes, only when the lights are in ON, PARKING or AUTO

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oh good, there was about to be a Model 3 for sale in Chicago.

Yep...just get a service appt and let us know how it turns out. I feel it's our obligation to get these issues reported and resolved to feedback to manufacturing and engineering to make sure they get it fixed at the factory so it impacts as few people as possible.

If its bugging you that much, call them up and get it into your SC sooner than later, they'll take care of you. Take a tech for a drive where you can recreate the problem, or make good recordings beforehand to show them. My gut sense is that its probably nothing bad, but I can see how it might be really annoying for someone with younger/sensitive ears.

Reactions: NOCO24U
I have an appointment (well, had, they canceled it overnight "per my request" that I never made) Wednesday at my local SC for a "Contact Tesla Service" alarm that came up after the recent firmware update -- was planning on bringing it up then.

Interesting, I came in here for the noise discussion, but you seem to have received the same exact message I did after the latest update.

Yup. Mine does this as well, even my > 40 ears can pick it up. Seems to be coming from the rear/right area, and somewhat related to throttle position, but not regen -- if that makes any sense. Turn off lights/hvac/etc and do some steady-state uphill driving at ~ 30mph, and it'll present readily.

Other comment about it being like a coil-whine feels right -- it has that 'bad ground loop electrical whine' quality.

That too sounds different. That's the normal high current noise from the drive unit most Teslas have. In my case (and I think the OPs?) I'm hearing it from the front and it's not a continuous tone, just a beepy kind of thing.

Interesting, I came in here for the noise discussion, but you seem to have received the same exact message I did after the latest update.

That's three of us now.

I thought I was going insane when I heard exactly what you are detailing. It sounds like my car has a 56k modem dialing AOL. I also have a rattle coming from driver side front pillar. I really don't want to make a service center visit but I'm sure I will soon. Please keep us updated if they find out what the morse code sound is.

Reactions: NOCO24U
I'll bet one whole dollar you get the "we can't hear it" or alternately, "They all do that" if you take it in. I hate taking cars in for this kind of stuff. Admittedly, Tesla reps are better than most!

if they can't hear it, they certainly will be able to see it! i posted these earlier...

i have an appointment for tomorrow at noon, so i'll report back after that.

Attachments

• IMG_7752.jpg
    IMG_7752.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_7756.jpg
    IMG_7756.jpg
    529.8 KB · Views: 75
If I floor (or 75% floor the car)...the brake pedal slightly vibrates and I hear some cooling fans come on...kind of feels like my Cadillac ELR (when it runs out of battery and shifts over to gas...but obviously it vibration is much less)...or it is masked away by the ride quality.

Hi,

I took delivery of my Model 3 (#4000-ish) last week and there are 2 things that really bother me about this car. One is the ridiculously loud blower fan, the other is I have an intermittent high pitch beeping, which sounds a lot like morse code, in the cabin. I can hear it driving at low speeds and of course when the car is sitting.

I noticed that the sound can be affected by the LED headlamps. If I sit in the car, and switch the headlamps from AUTO to OFF, the beeping stops for a bit, and then will eventually go back into its 'morse code' like pattern. If I switch the lights from OFF to PARKING, the intermittent beeping turns into a constant beeeeeeeeeeeep, which sounds a lot like tinnitus or ringing in the ears.

If I toggle between OFF and PARKING and OFF and PARKING, I can control the long beep. It sound a lot like a piezo buzzer. I'm guessing this has to do with the LED light drivers on the headlamps.

If I switch the lights into AUTO, or ON, the beep is still there, but it is masked a bit by the LED cooling fans on the lights. Putting the lights in PARKING keeps those fans off so you can isolate the beep.

I'm 33 years old, and have better than average hearing. My girlfriend can hear it, but my parents cannot.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Does it sound like this?

I thought I was going insane when I heard exactly what you are detailing. It sounds like my car has a 56k modem dialing AOL. I also have a rattle coming from driver side front pillar. I really don't want to make a service center visit but I'm sure I will soon. Please keep us updated if they find out what the morse code sound is.
Tesla had to further differentiate the Model 3 from the Model S/X. So instead of a broadband connection the 3 gets dial-up internet access.